Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Reclassification Status on the BD38 and BD3008?

Well, the big vote on the long gun registry is today at 5:45pm. The Conservatives are publishing names of NDP MPs who originally agreed to vote by their constituent's wishes - and ban the registry.

Let's see how this pans out, including any follow-up with the BD-38 and 3008.

Cheers,

Bill

Bernd Dittrich and SSD (Sport Systeme Dittrich) went belly up a few years ago... The company and all it entailed was bought up by HZA Kulmbach, which now holds all the rights etc to the BD line of firearms. I believe Bernd still works for HZA, but not sure.

Considering that SSD was very uncooperative in regards to warranty work with Marstar, I highly doubt the CFC will get anything out of them either....
    “Christianity preaches the infinite worth of that which is seemingly worthless and the infinite worthlessness of that which is seemingly so valued.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

It appears they are randomly picking certain guns based on their appearance and placing them under review. They don't even have a bd38 in their possession right now, yet its under review? How can they be reviewing it? What caused them to review it? And if they never get one, they can never review it, and can never change the FRT classification. My bet is they will let time pass and simply change the FRT ruling on a whim. Knowing they have no sample in the lab, really makes this whole thing appear as a farse. Just another opinion

I have a feeling this is, in part, due to a member formerly known as "Spencer"...
    Last edited by Desert_Fox; 02-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    “Christianity preaches the infinite worth of that which is seemingly worthless and the infinite worthlessness of that which is seemingly so valued.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    It appears they are randomly picking certain guns based on their appearance and placing them under review. They don't even have a bd38 in their possession right now, yet its under review? How can they be reviewing it? What caused them to review it? And if they never get one, they can never review it, and can never change the FRT classification. My bet is they will let time pass and simply change the FRT ruling on a whim. Knowing they have no sample in the lab, really makes this whole thing appear as a farse. Just another opinion
    The RCMP had a really good look at the BD guns when the samples were submitted by the first importer. They know exactly how the mechanisms work.
    Anyone who has ever seen the inside of one can see how they work. As manufactured, they are functionnally semi-auto.
    To be blunt, there are no semi-auto firearms that would be easier to convert to auto that the BD-38 and BD-3008. Think under 5 minutes with a Dremel. And this would not be doublets and triplets resulting from a malfunctionning trigger mechanism; this would be true, controlled auto fire.
    The RCMP were very generous in determining that the guns were semi-auto, and in allowing them to be imported and sold. They were made as semi-auto, and it would be an offence to change this. The guns were primarily of interest only to serious collectors.
    Then someone outside the RCMP made the case that the BDs were easily convertible to full auto. Of course the RCMP placed the BDs under review. They had no option after this challenge. This was lifted for a while, then reinstated. At present, the BD-38 and BD-3008 FRT numbers are unavailable for transfer.
    I have no idea how the situation will end. But the BD mess is not the result of arbitrary and capricous actions on the part of the RCMP. They initially approved the guns, and then this was thrown back in their faces.

CGN Regular
    If you look at the past re-classification of firearms back in the 1990's most of the changes in designations were made simply because firearms looked or sounded "evil". The thought that Canadians could legally own these "mean" looking firearms made individuals like Allan Rock and other bleeding heart Liberals have nightmares and it bugged them every morning that they woke up in their puddle of wee.

Firearms Laws don't need to make sense (sadly). Why are most AK designs prohib? When most M16 designs are restricted? Does that 5mm really make the difference between a prohib or restricted P08 (Luger)? Does my pinned 5 round magazine really make Canadians safer when I can use a 250 round continous belt in my TNW MG34?

Obviously someone challeged the design or someone pointed out that the BD38 looked "mean". We have been lucky as there have been few new classification changes since the early 1990's and luckily many designs have snuck through (CZ858, SKS, Valmet AK's, TNW firearms, SSD products, etc.).

Heck why are they looking at the BD38 when for $10.00 a criminal could buy a book and learn how to make my SKS full auto? Financially why spend $2500 to mess with a rifle when a criminal could spend $75?

This is an example of the Government punishing Law abiding citizens and not criminals. I don't think there is a huge black market in BD38's. Don't be surprised the next time we have a Liberal or God forbid an NDP Government that we lose the right to own many of the firearms that were legally purchased and presently stored in accordance to Canadian law. Sadly, politicians can sit in their beds making it look like they are acting against gun crime if they pick on law abiding gun owners, because they are taking "dangerous" guns off the street (or more specific out of safe storage). If they really wanted to make a difference, they would actually need to work to catch the true criminals and gun smugglers. Then again, politicians don't really like to work or they wouldn't be in Ottawa in the first place.

Don't hold your breath, give in time and the RCMP will slip it under the table and do and get what they want,

Super Moderator
    [QUOTE=agentcq;6799252.....Obviously someone challeged the design or someone pointed out that the BD38 looked "mean". We have been lucky as there have been few new classification changes since the early 1990's and luckily many designs have snuck through (CZ858, SKS, Valmet AK's, TNW firearms, SSD products, etc.).

Heck why are they looking at the BD38 when for $10.00 a criminal could buy a book and learn how to make my SKS full auto? Financially why spend $2500 to mess with a rifle when a criminal could spend $75?.....[/QUOTE]

You are wrong. The RCMP approved the BD-38 and BD-3008 knowing exactly what they were.
    It was thrown back in their faces, and they had no alternative but to react.
    The few Valmet AKs did slip through. Someone who didn't have the slightest idea of what he was doing wrote some pretty bad policy.
    The others were classified based on their merit. They did not slip though. There are quite a number of others that did not slip through; and were classified correctly, based on the law.

wrote another letter to my MP.:D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Koenig Tiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Then someone outside the RCMP made the case that the BDs were easily convertible to full auto. Of course the RCMP placed the BDs under review. They had no option after this challenge.
    The "########" guy deserves to have his nuts smashed with a ball-peen hammer for this...