Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home shooting range

CGN Regular

Home shooting range

I live on 80acres in Manitoba, I have my RPAL and would like to buy a handgun, but $350 is a bit much to swallow at one time for a range membership+ gun+safe++

Is there any law saying I can't shoot on my own range? I shoot my high power guns and shotgun at home all the time.

I don't think my neighbors would complain, I have shot a skunk at home, at night (it was hard to use my iron sights with a headlamp) and I used 10 .22rimfire shots and a 3" shotshell. And I have heard other neighbors shoot at night too (I assume a bear).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The only place where you may possess a restricted firearm is somewhere that your CFO has authorized your possession of it. You must read the conditions on your Authorization To Transport(ATT).
    Your CFO may authorize your possession of your restricted firearm just about anywhere and for just about any purpose, if you ask, but he/she also may not, and you also might find any atypical request to fall on deaf ears.

getting a handgun
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...1&postcount=11

You might consider building a shooting range of your own, and then having your range approved by your CFO for the discharge of restricted firearms.

Range Design and Construction Guidelines (PDF 6.28MB)
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i...constr-eng.pdf

Shooting Clubs and Ranges
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    I live on 80acres in Manitoba, I have my RPAL and would like to buy a handgun, but $350 is a bit much to swallow at one time for a range membership+ gun+safe++

Is there any law saying I can't shoot on my own range? I shoot my high power guns and shotgun at home all the time.

I don't think my neighbors would complain, I have shot a skunk at home, at night (it was hard to use my iron sights with a headlamp) and I used 10 .22rimfire shots and a 3" shotshell. And I have heard other neighbors shoot at night too (I assume a bear).
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    You might consider building a shooting range of your own, and then having your range approved by your CFO for the discharge of restricted firearms.
    So can i shoot my non-res guns on my large property in a safe-manner without worrying about breaking the law?

Do you only need to get a CFO for a homemade restricted range??

If so...

CGN Regular
    You would likely have to get a county permission and approval from surrounding land owners in order to build an actual "Approved" range. Build the range and then try to get the CFO to approve it. Look into the range guidelines, alot more involved than just piling up a mound of dirt and shooting into it. You will maybe have to build sideberms as well. You have to make sure there is a safe zone several hundred meters down range as well. It's a lot more complicated now than what it was years ago. You should be able to use non-restricted as long as local bylaws don't say otherwise.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer waynesixgun's Avatar
    The whole thing depends on weather or not you are transporting it.
    Wheel Guns are Real Guns

Member CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, CPC, BCWF, UTAH CCW, NH CCW

If time is money...I should be a millionaire.

CGN Regular
    It is really is quite stupid that I can shoot all my other guns that shoot much farther at home but not a handgun that is good for not even quarter of the distance.

If I called my CFO about weather I can shoot at home, would that "tag" me on a list that they would keep a closer eye on my firearm use?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    It is really is quite stupid that I can shoot all my other guns that shoot much farther at home but not a handgun that is good for not even quarter of the distance.

If I called my CFO about weather I can shoot at home, would that "tag" me on a list that they would keep a closer eye on my firearm use?
    I doubt they have time to surveil people who ask questions. I doubt you can legally discharge a restricted on your 80 acres. Oddly, it might be legal to discharge it within your dwelling if its not prohibited locally.
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

BANNED

...but $350 is a bit much to swallow at one time for a range membership, + gun + safe +...
    You should be able to obtain an "Associate Pass"... Basically a membership, but you pay for everything else (range-time or day-pass, targets, etc)...

This is a quote from The Shooting Edge website... The 2nd line is the key...

Associate Membership
    $50.00 including GST per year

Features:

•Use of the facility during normal operating hours providing a day pass is purchased
    •A membership card will be issued fulfilling the CFO’s requirement of club membership
    •$15 discount off of a set of custom earplugs
    •No other discounts implied or offered

CGN Regular
    I have a similar question. I don't have property but I have friends who do. If I buy a 22 rifle can I take it out to their farms and plink popcans? (assuming it is done safely and allowed by local ordinances)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The following is for a restricted range.

If you only have 80 acres then you won't have enough land for the downrange template. So, then you will need either a 6m high berm at the end of your range, with 4m high side berms along the full length of your range, or a suitable hill (over 6m high) to shoot into, with of course those side berms.

You will need written permission from your municipality to establish a range, range inspection by the CFO, liability insurance, and of course a GOOD fence and signage all around your property.

Private ranges must now meet all the requirements that a club range must meet.

Yes it is possible and many people have done it, but unless your property is idealy suited for a range (perfect sized hill, etc..) you will likely find that the $350 a year is cheap in comparison.

Civilization is the blossoming then withering of a communal mind.

Scientific data: If you torture the numbers enough, they will tell you anything you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast