Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Transporting firearms in Calgary without a car

Quote Originally Posted by t-star View Post
    it would help if we knew which range was involved- there MIGHT be a member close enough to you to negate this whole mess- and where you are in the city- quadrant will do, not street adress
    Hehe, I'm in the Southwest (Mission) but it shouldn't actually be a problem. I'll be applying for membership at the Calgary Shooting Centre as soon as I receive my PAL and I should be able to store two firearms on site according to their membership benefits. I just like to make sure all my bases are covered, especially if I move beyond two firearms down the road...

Really it's not that big a mess except for rifles. The law actually tells us to conceal and lock down pistols and tells us how to do it, so there's no legal issue that I can see there.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    well, i'm no help as i'm already at the edge and live at basically heritage park- just thought there might be somebody-and maybe a long locker would suffice- that way you could keep 1 restricted and one unrestricted

I might try dropping by the Edge a bit before CSC opens up (if it's not open by the time I get my membership), but unfortunately it's not in a prime location for non-drivers.

Updates re: transport of non-restricted

I've added it to the original post already, but I emailed the Calgary Police asking for clarification on how to legally transport a non-restricted rifle by bicycle within the city. Here's the response I received from the Firearm Support Unit. The emphasis is his:

I have been requested to address your questions that relate to the legal transportation of a non-restricted firearm on a bicycle.

The requirements for transporting a non-restricted firearm on a bicycle are the same as in a motor vehicle. As per the Firearms Act a non-restricted firearm must be unloaded. As you are transporting the firearm and not storing it you are not required by law to have a trigger lock on it. That being said the more precautions you take will only make matters better. My suggestion is to 1) Unload the firearm—mandatory--, 2) Trigger lock or remove the bolt, and 3) Have the firearm in a lockable hard sided firearm case. Suggestions 2 and 3 are above and beyond what is required by the Firearms Act but in the case of firearm safety more is better. If you meet these requirements and you have a valid firearms license and registration you will not be breaking any laws with regards to the transportation of a non-restricted firearm. The likelihood of being stopped by a Police Officer while you are transporting your firearm on a bicycle is very high. If you are seen you can count on being pulled over and spoken to. As I mentioned earlier you are not breaching the transportation requirements but it is not common to see someone on a bicycle with a firearm and for the safety of all persons involved I would imagine you would be stopped and spoken to.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Cst L. John Burke #2890
    Firearm Support Unit
    Calgary Police Service
    I expected as much and I thanked him for his response.

CGN Regular
    As already noted, very refreshing to see a new member contributing information about unusual topics rather than asking questions about basic matters.
    I have not done any research on the matter, but the post that suggests a guitar case amounts to concealing a firearm seems very believable and very Canadian to me.
    This shows how far the anti-gun crowd has progressed.
    They don't want any one to own a gun, but if you do, don't treat it discreetly. You better announce the fact loudly so that you can be suitably abused for incorrect thinking.
    Police have bought into this as witnessed by the advice provided by the CPS rep. When it comes to "firearm safety more is better". It's not the law but do it anyway.
    If you had a black case with large neon letters stating "Gun Inside" everyone would be happier; then "for the safety of all persons involved ... you would be stopped and spoken to" (sic).

So, the law does not state that unrestricted firearms need to be in a case. so how am i supposed to carry my non-restricted when walking to the transportation? over my shoulder on a sling? if I'm on a bicycle ?

I think its a good sign that you're a gun nut when you have more money in guns than in vehicles. Awesome! Calgary does have great public transit, the c Train is so much faster than driving in places.

Legally, safest bet is on a sling. No concerns about concealing then per Supreme Court of Canada decision in R v Felawka. http://scc-csc.lexum.com/decisia-scc.../1073/index.do

Good luck dealing with the CPS SWAT team though. Nightmare scenario for gun owners without a car.

I think the OP also mentioned a local bylaw prohibiting the possession of a firearm on public transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzer View Post
    Guitar case
    Yup, this. Hard guitar case for the win. If you can lock it, even better! Good luck!

Winnipeg Transit has the same no firearm regs, safe to say this is a general rule for most, if not all, public transit in Canada.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast