Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Transporting firearms in Calgary without a car

Quote Originally Posted by yank View Post
    Yup, this. Hard guitar case for the win. If you can lock it, even better! Good luck!
    Saw a kid with a trombone case the other day. First thing I thought was 'Thompson SMG'. Round magazine goes in the bell end, remove stock and everything should fit nicely

CGN frequent flyer WestIslandRifle's Avatar
    I know here in Quebec you could take any form of public transport with a non restricted or restricted firearm asking as the gun is unloaded and locked up .... That was until they introduced law9 or anistasias law ( named after the girl killed in the Dawson shooting )
    member C.P.C.A, NFA and F.Q.T
    "Keep your powder dry , and your eyes on the target " R.Lee Ermey.

So was the resolution to this that it is legal?

Quote Originally Posted by litui View Post
    snip...
    The only place things get sticky is in the use of public transit:

Calgary Transit Bylaw 4M81
    http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/4m81.pdf

I find "carry" to be a little ambiguous, but the intention is very clear: no guns on public transit.
    ...snip
    Since this was resurrected, it may be worth a call to Calgary Transit to check if they make a distinction between carrying a firearm and transporting a firearm. In my mind, if you're carrying a firearm, it's ready for use and on your body (concealed or open/visible); transporting a firearm would then mean it's unloaded, inoperable and in a case. It really depends what the intention of the bylaw is.

Cheers,
    GMC
    And now, a word from my lawyers...

This post is the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "GMC Trucker". These posts are for entertainment only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by m_kowalski25 View Post
    So was the resolution to this that it is legal?
    You can't have a firearm on Calgary Transit.

"While a pistol would be easy enough to transport out of sight, does anyone have recommendations for transport of a rifle without drawing too much unnecessary attention?"

Strap it to the bottom of your skateboard.

Several of the square canvas rifle bags look less.... scary... anyone ask say it's an electric piano.

CGN frequent flyer
    Just figured I'd bring this back up.

What if you wanted/had to walk to a friends' house or the range... could you really even do it? Padded case over your shoulder with a backpack containing the ammo etc?

You'd probably get stopped, not likely with the TAC team though (if it was not in a case, then I figure you'd be taken down hard....)...

Maybe you could even call the CPS in advance, and just say to the person who answer the non-emergency line "hey, I'm a licensed gun owner, and I am planning on walking to the range today. Just wanted to let you know, as I'll have a padded rifle case over my shoulder." kind of thing.

That way you're not hiding it, but you're doing what you can to ease any issues you might have.

Thoughts?

CGN Regular
    +1 ^

Calling the CPS ahead would save you lots of trouble. Using a hard case is alittle less obvious. I'm sure you'll be incovinced more than once by the CPS just checking in. Better for them to look into it, just to make sure you're a sane person heading to the range.

Not to scare you but. I live in a 25,000+ city. A couple years back the local police where dispatched because a gentelman took his firearm out of his truck (non-restricted, transported properally) in a soft (gun shaped) case. Crossed the street to a sporting goods store, that does gunsmithing. Cops had the place surrounded shortly after a call saying someone was walking around downtown with a gun.

A couple of years back I went through a nasty divorce.
    My ex started calling the cops on me for all sorts of BS, and I was able to perceive where things were going - so I gave my local police department a call.
    I explained my situation, and requested to have them take possession of my firearms while the drama unfolded.

They were happy to do it, and I wasn't wrong in my estimation that she would escalate her accusations.
    Anyways - my personal experiences with my ex and her drama aren't the point of why I'm writing this.

My point is, that after all the dust settled and things were back to normal - I went and retrieved my firearms from the cop shop.
    When I was there to pick the up - they asked me if I had a blanket or something in my car to wrap them up in for the walk out to my car in the parking lot.
    I did, and happily obliged them.

So basically, I was directed to 'conceal' my rifles while walking them out to the car.

I'm not saying the above posters are incorrect about a guitar case. They're probably spot on.
    But I can relate to you from personal experience that sometimes even the cops think its a good idea to wrap 'em up in a blanket in order to 'conceal' them.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast