Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - Mare's leg rifles by Puma

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    That lever is ridiculously large!
    All Legacy and Rossi needs to do is ship mare's legs with full stocks to Canada and let us trim them ourselves..... and put a better lever on there!
    I would rather have 4 extra inches of barrel than 4 extra inches of a useless stock that cant be shouldered anyways.

Next time I have access to a 16 inch carbine I am going to have to look into this.

BANNED
    That lever is ridiculously large!
    All Legacy and Rossi needs to do is ship mare's legs with full stocks to Canada and let us trim them ourselves..... and put a better lever on there!
    WOuld still be restricted when under 26 inches so what difference does it make?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    WOuld still be restricted when under 26 inches so what difference does it make?
    So trim it to 26 inches......?

I would rather have 4 extra inches of barrel than 4 extra inches of a useless stock that cant be shouldered anyways.

Next time I have access to a 16 inch carbine I am going to have to look into this.
    I'd rather have a full stock that I can shoulder....sounds like you need a trapper!

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    Lever type/size is a personal thing. Some folks like one type,some the other, just as with the standard length rifle.

I was told at the booth, that they thought this rifle would be considered a handgun here.
    That said, to say that the Americans have a limited understanding of Canadian gun law is about as big an understatement as I could make.
    That's based of the reactions I got to my explanations when shown (all kinds of) stuff we can't own, or can't use, or is restricted.
    It's all personal for sure... I just wonder who's hands are that big...
    Last edited by John Y Cannuck; 01-21-2011 at 04:41 PM.

BANNED
    I'd rather have a full stock that I can shoulder....sounds like you need a trapper!
    Sounds like you need a trapper then! LOL

What difference is 4 inches of barrel gonna make if you want a full stock anyways?

Sounds like you need a trapper then! LOL

What difference is 4 inches of barrel gonna make if you want a full stock anyways?
    I've got a trapper and I love the handling. A full stocked 12 incher would just be 4 inches shorter and lighter which would be even more back pack friendly then a trapper.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Nothing to do with hand size.
    It's a John Wayne true grit image thing IMO. The more round lever affords the appearance of the ability to 'twirl' the rifle. As he did in the movies, and as chuck Connors also did in the old rifle man series.

I didn't ask, but I know the lever shape that was featured in Steve McQueen's movie that actually coined the term Mares leg, is already on the market by someone else. (Davidson's I think) Duplication of another design gets expensive, legally speaking.
    Bush hunter!

the twirl factor is even more silly......the lawyers in the States will have fun when someone looses a toe twirling their mare's leg!

The Mare's Leg carbines are classified as Non-Restricted (that's right, NON-Restricted) firearms in Canada under the current FRT system. Look them up here:

https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/eCFISB...IdSelection.do

(from the CFC's FRT tables)

Armi Sport Notes Serial Numbering: Numbered
    Model: Winchester 1892 Mares Leg Notes Country: ITALY
    Manufacturer: Chiappa Glossary Level: Manufacturer Specifications and Commercial Customization
    Type: Rifle Legal Classification: Non-Restricted

1 45 COLT Keywords 6 305 Manufacturer Specifications and Commercial Customization Non-Restricted CC 2 "firearm" Glossary

We have the Chiappa MLs in .45 LC in stock.

I personally spoke with a representative from the CFO to confirm the status of these guns, despite the barrel being only 12 inches long, and the overall length of the gun being only 23 inches, well short of the 26-inch cut-off normally applicable to fit into this category. The response I received was this: "The Mare's Leg is fitted with a buttstock that can be fired from the shoulder, and is a modification of an existing model that has already been classified as a Non-Restricted firearm. There are no plans to review or alter the classification of this firearm at this time."
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??