Page 325 of 346 FirstFirst ... 305315317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331332333335345 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 3451

Thread: UPDATE: Rossi Ranch Hand Mares Leg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I'm curious to know how legit those numbers are. All logic would suggest that a heavier bullet with a generally similar propellant would be moving at less velocity, because the charge has more load to push down the barrel.

Speculating, but maybe HSM is giving performance numbers from a 44 rifle and the latter are using a revolver?

If not, and those are out of the same barrel, then HSM's Bear Load cartridge is certainly a monster of a recipe.
    Hey Petamocto,

As I said, I bought a box of this stuff from Ammo Supply about a month ago. The muzzle velocity is listed by the factory at 1260 fps for the 305 gr. WFN gas-check hard cast lead bullet. But (for some reason) there is no mention of the barrel-length that produced that number. I couldn't find it on the factory website or anywhere else on the Internet, either.

So I just now picked up the phone and talked to a friendly/helpful fellow in HSM's technical department down in Montana ... and learned that them numbers are from from a six-inch barrel. Very impressive ... my Rossi Ranch Hand has a 12-inch barrel, so I am good-to-go.
    Last edited by boomer49; 01-02-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: More research ...

If a Rossi Mares leg can be acquired in 45 LC, would a .410 fit the same chamber? I've seen other guns in that caliber saying so.. such as a Taurus Rossi Circuit Judge.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpslayer View Post
    If a Rossi Mares leg can be acquired in 45 LC, would a .410 fit the same chamber? I've seen other guns in that caliber saying so.. such as a Taurus Rossi Circuit Judge.
    Hey SS,

I have absolutely no idea about that.
    Last edited by boomer49; 01-03-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Boomer: That is very impressive and thank you for calling them to find out.

Going to have to pick up a few to try in my new S&W 629 6.5". Maybe HSM's bear load is what Harry Callaghan meant about a 44 taking a man's head clean off.

CGN frequent flyer
    I don't think so, the 410 shell is much longer than the 45colt. Possibly loading one directly into the chamber, but I really don't think they will cycle. Easy to do in a revolver with a bit of a longer cylinder, not so easy in a lever gun. I think I might have a 410shell somewhere, maybe I'll dig it out and try, but I'm betting no way.

CGN frequent flyer
    I don't think so, the 410 shell is much longer than the 45colt. Possibly loading one directly into the chamber, but I really don't think they will cycle. Easy to do in a revolver with a bit of a longer cylinder, not so easy in a lever gun. I think I might have a 410shell somewhere, maybe I'll dig it out and try, but I'm betting no way.

Joined the mares leg club today with a .38/357 that crappy tire had (even used some ct money ). A little later than most, but I haven't really seen them for sale lately.
    Would have preferred wanstalls but nil stock.
    Last edited by wbaad; 03-08-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Just made a holster for mine over the weekend. It's a 45 Colt bought used on CGN and had lots of fun getting it to feed and chamber but it's working slick now. I think when someone in Brazil stuck it together they grabbed a set of 44 magnum guide plates rather than 45 Colt. When the lifter would try to chamber the round it wouldn't fit through the guide plates as the space was too narrow. They had to be opened up to allow for 2 thousand on each side. Then the rim of the case was binding on the rim slots in the guide plates. The forward angle on the slots rather than being obtuse was a right angle. Once the angle was corrected the problem was solved. It feeds great now. I doubt it was even test fired before it left Brazil or if they even attempted to chamber a round.

My wife said if I go coyote hunting one more time she's going to leave me....I'm going to miss that woman!

CGN Regular
    Nice, I plan on making something similar when I get around to it. I picked up a case hardened version in 45LC a couple months ago and have had none of the issue talked about here. It chambers and cycles everything without issue, shoots to point of aim. It's fairly smooth and I assume will only get better as it wears in.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Interbak View Post
    Nice, I plan on making something similar when I get around to it. I picked up a case hardened version in 45LC a couple months ago and have had none of the issue talked about here. It chambers and cycles everything without issue, shoots to point of aim. It's fairly smooth and I assume will only get better as it wears in.

B
    From what I understand it's a crap shoot. Michael the Rossi guru with Snap Shots Guns (the Rossi service center in Quebec) is a great guy to talk to.

Must all depend on who's sticking them together in Brazil....great you got one with no feeding problems.

My wife said if I go coyote hunting one more time she's going to leave me....I'm going to miss that woman!