Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New SKS

new sks

Mine arrived from MARSTAR earlier this week and it wasn't too greasy at all. Took me about 45 minutes and a half dozen kettles of boiling water to get 95% of the goop off and then another spray and wipedown with Remington shotgun cleaner. Then soaked everything in Remoil and Bob's-your-uncle I was done. Plan to shoot the hell out of some paper tomorrow.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    If it's an unissued Chinese one, it might be really covered in cosmo. I had my wood in the oven for 3 hours at 160 degrees and was wiping off the cosmo off every 20 minutes.

Cleaning is easy. Don't make it too complicated.

Soak the metal parts in mineral spirits or varsol for about an hour. scrub with a toothbrush or some other soft brush. Dry and oil with some hoppes or rem oil.

The stock is a little trickier. Some people like to get pretty crazy here with the sanding and what not. Just wipe off the exterior of the stock with a rag and some mineral spirits. That will take the cosmo off of the surface. That's all you should need.

Done!

Thanks everyone, Ive just taken it apart and its not too bad for cosmoline except a few internal parts are heavily coated.

Looks like a good stock but is a rather crude finish so I understand why a few guys like to sand when its cleaned up.

All in all Im very happy with the rifle. She looks better than I thought she would.

I got a 4 power scope and rings with the mount but havent opened them yet, and may not for a few more days, till I get the rifle figured out.

I ordered two detach mags but only received one... hope I dont get billed for two!...

Thanks again to you guys and Marstar for a great deal and some help with the rifle.
    The good, the bad and the ugly. All in one.

Only accurate people are interesting.

Don't remember how many rounds I've fired, but are you willing to gamble punk( Clint Eastwood).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12