Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SKS

New SKS

I got home a little late tonight and found a sticker on my front door from Canpar...

My SKS is here... for pick up (tomorrow) friday night, and i'm more excited than a kid on Christmas eve..:D

Thanks Marstar, you delivered inside of two weeks!.. and cant wait to see the package deal.

Ive been reading all I can in the red rifle section on cleaning her up, and am looking sooo foreward to it.

Just as a heads up for tomorrow night, how greasy are they out of the box?.
    Last edited by 7mmlefty; 02-24-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    The good, the bad and the ugly. All in one.

Only accurate people are interesting.

Don't remember how many rounds I've fired, but are you willing to gamble punk( Clint Eastwood).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer The_Sicilian's Avatar
    I just got mine and am new to the SKS scene myself. It was damn greasy lol. Spent the day on the net learning about cleaning and disassembly. Nice project for the weekend I am sure you will love it.
    CCFR Member

go here

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...play.php?f=129

read the stickies......

and watch these

[youtube]Ng_Kdn3JQDQ[/youtube]

[youtube]rWmEyxA9o-M[/youtube]

BANNED
    Congrats on your SKS, i hope to be on the SKS train soon :] They are really fun to shoot :O Was my first semi rifle i ever fired.

Thanks for the link Ftaview. I just bought an SKS so this will come in handy
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Ben Franklin, 1759, US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Free USP

no worries....it's one of the better ones

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianAR's Avatar
    really greasy
    WANTED: Matching German WWII K98k and bayonets.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer The_Sicilian's Avatar
    I found this to be helpful. Blow by blow disassembly with pics and parts descriptions:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp
    CCFR Member

Downwind of Hamilton and not far enough west of that smell
    I had one early in my shooting career. It was SOAKED in cosmoline. I took it over to a friends place, we took it apart and wiped as much as we could off with shop rags. I think we used about a can of brake clean and hosed down all the moving parts and the bore. Put it back together and promptly went shooting.

If I recall, cosmoline came oozing out of all the nooks and crannies when it heated up from shooting it - a lot! This happened for several trips to the range and eventually after cleaning and shooting it a bunch of times, it was clean!

Good luck and have fun!

SD
    Gun control means using BOTH hands

Mine was very greasy when I got it, took a thourough dissassembly to clean it up and I actually had all parts soak in a large industrial degreaser parts washer for a whole night, then took it off and let them dry hang for a day, then coated everything with gun cleaner/lube solution. The main part to be more concerned about is the firing pin and block which you really have to let soak correctly to get it really cleaned so the pin moves freely and doesn't risk sticking. Like others have said, don't be surprised to see some Cosmo come out the stock or some minor fumes from the gun the first few times you shoot it, once its seens a few range days it'll be nice and easy to keep clean.

Congrats on your purchase, Sks's are nice rifles and I think everyone should own one just cause they're cheap and milsup ammo is inexpensive so you can throw a few hundred rounds a day without looking at your wallet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast