Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 10 Round AIA Enfield/M14 Magazines.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Odd Shot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    PART 4PROHIBITED DEVICES

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 9

1. Any electrical or mechanical device that is designed or adapted to operate the trigger mechanism of a semi-automatic firearm for the purpose of causing the firearm to discharge cartridges in rapid succession.

2. Any rifle, shotgun or carbine stock of the type known as the “bull-pup” design, being a stock that, when combined with a firearm, reduces the overall length of the firearm such that a substantial part of the reloading action or the magazine-well is located behind the trigger of the firearm when it is held in the normal firing position.

Former Cartridge Magazine Control Regulations

3. (1) Any cartridge magazine

(a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in

(i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,

(ii) a semi-automatic firearm other than a semi-automatic handgun,

(iii) an automatic firearm whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger,

(iv) the firearms of the designs commonly known as the Ingram M10 and M11 pistols, and any variants or modified versions of them, including the Cobray M10 and M11 pistols, the RPB M10, M11 and SM11 pistols and the SWD M10, M11, SM10 and SM11 pistols,

(v) the firearm of the design commonly known as the Partisan Avenger Auto Pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, or

(vi) the firearm of the design commonly known as the UZI pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, including the Micro-UZI pistol; or

(b) that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.

(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine that

(a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that

(i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,

(ii) is a rifle of the type commonly known as the “Lee Enfield” rifle, where the magazine is capable of containing not more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed, or

(iii) is commonly known as the U.S. Rifle M1 (Garand) including the Beretta M1 Garand rifle, the Breda M1 Garand rifle and the Springfield Armoury M1 Garand rifle;

Hope that clears this up.

Moe
    well that's news to me!

I guess there goes the hope for anything larger than a 10 round A1A SMLE mag

^Not unless they release a new Lee Enfield chambered in .50 Beowulf.

To me it seems they mean the semi-auto Lee Enfields. Are there even any in Canada.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer themarauder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VanIsler View Post
    To me it seems they mean the semi-auto Lee Enfields. Are there even any in Canada.
    No, it's just that our laws were written by idiots.
    "Obviously a registry makes it easier to prohibit firearms," said Wendy Cukier (Coalition for Gun Control) - Right from the horse's mouth.

It definitely only applies to the semi or full auto Lee Enfields which is good news if you own one as you can have 10 round mags.

The only condition of Para 1(a) that fits Lee Enfields is the sub-paras (ii) a semi-automatic firearm other than a semi-automatic handgun, and (iii) an automatic firearm whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger,.

Bolt actions do not apply to Para 1(a) at all which makes Para 2(a)(ii) moot.

Gotta love the way laws are written.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

One thing that has me scratching my head is the use of former, has the quoted text been replaced by newer regulations?

Oh and thank God I went into Engineering instead of law.

It's a moot point, as the only relevant Lee Enfield magazines to us are the AIA .308 ones, and they only come in the 10-rd flavour for the time being. That being said, I wouldn't risk my gun liberties over an assumption that the intent of that statement was for semi or full automatic Lee Enfield rifles, none of which were produced for or possibly even available in Canada.

You can interpret the laws how you wish, but it doesn't seem wide to advise the general public to make an assumption about written gun laws.

Can you not read. It's pretty ####ing clear.

3. (1) Any cartridge magazine

(a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in

(i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada, Doesn't apply.

(ii) a semi-automatic firearm other than a semi-automatic handgun, Applies to Semi Lee Enfields.

(iii) an automatic firearm whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger, Applies to full auto Lee Enfields.

(iv) the firearms of the designs commonly known as the Ingram M10 and M11 pistols, and any variants or modified versions of them, including the Cobray M10 and M11 pistols, the RPB M10, M11 and SM11 pistols and the SWD M10, M11, SM10 and SM11 pistols, Sure as #### don't apply.

(v) the firearm of the design commonly known as the Partisan Avenger Auto Pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, or Again nope.

(vi) the firearm of the design commonly known as the UZI pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, including the Micro-UZI pistol; or Hell no!!!

No assumptions needed as it's pretty obvious.

Oh and the reason I highlighted what Para 1(a) said is this:

(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine that

(a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that

(i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,

(ii) is a rifle of the type commonly known as the “Lee Enfield” rifle, where the magazine is capable of containing not more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed, or

(iii) is commonly known as the U.S. Rifle M1 (Garand) including the Beretta M1 Garand rifle, the Breda M1 Garand rifle and the Springfield Armoury M1 Garand rifle;

The Liberals gave us an exemption for the Garand's 8 round clip, semi/full auto Lee Enfields (to a max of 10) and rimfires. Case rested.