Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the AMA range in Halifax

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Polar Man's Avatar
    NS (if you use the EE, add your province here at the very least!)

Tell me about the AMA range in Halifax

I just got my restricted license, and now I need to join a range, the AMA is close, though expensive. With gas prices what they are, unless I can carpool, seems like a no brainer. However, I hear a lot of ranges can have some infighting and such, and I would like to hear what your opinions are of the AMA ranges. (Please, let's keep it civil, if you have a serious gripe feel free to pm it to me )

Other options are the Annapolis Valley range, right here in Kentville, Valhalla in Truro, And the MVRRC in Musquodoboit, (spell that right?) which looks like an awesome and cheap range, and if I can carpool with another member probably not so bad. (I know of at least one in the are who goes there.)
    The only free society is an armed society.

Well I can only tell you about the mvrrc, am a member there.

I like it and I think that it is a dandy little club. There are several different ranges there and I have yet to come accross any infighting. If you want to shoot paper and be competitive you can if you want to shoot falling plates you can. It is open 12 months a year and does have indoor shooting positions but out side targets . The membership is very cheap compared to other clubs around Halifax. Usually there is some buddy shooting on one range all day on the weekends. Feel free to drop by and have a look at the place and decide from there.

Take care and keep them in the x ring (x) lol

Tdmx2
    If you can read this,Thank your teacher! If you are reading it in English, Thank a soldier!
    XNewfoundlander; But still a NEWFIE to the core!!!:D
    Transplanted to the Mainland due to work!!
    Sure do miss the ROCK!!!

Thanks tdmx2, As I will probably be a once a monther, if that, a little road trip won't be too bad. I will see if I can try both out and then decide.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If you like in Metro, and don't have a car, you'd have to be crazy not to join AMA. There is a Metro Transit bus stop just a block away from the Davis Range.

NS - AMA Charles Davis Indoor Range
    Updated Sep 3, 2010

Visit the ViewPoint map for more information on
    6 CLEMENT ST, DARTMOUTH

<http://www.viewpoint.ca/map/l/pid/40288524>

Even if you do have a car, the drive to Musquodoboit is just_long_enough to create the possibility that you will not go regularly. (Some of the Metro members of MVRRC who like to say it's so close sometimes go three months between visits.) If you're in Metro, AMA is right there. Even the Ralph Dunn Range is only about 15 minutes away in Devon, and it is awesome, the best pistol range in Nova Scotia.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

hey if you live in Kentville why not join there ? If you want to travel there is also Lunenburg www.rodandgunclub.ca , I have shot a lot at AMA and I can tell you the facilities are top notch . I have also shot at the Kentville club and they have a great club too .

Oops, forgot to mention I will be moving to the city in a couple of months.
    Can I just drop in during a general handgun day to try things out at AMA?

AMA is the best value around.
    14 bay heated indoor multi level range, and a world class outdoor facility with 5 pistol ranges, a 280m rifle range and a shotgun field.
    At $150/ year ($12.50/ month) hard to beat.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    AMA has some pretty good facilities for target shooters IMHO.
    The one small irk is it's rotating roster of RO's.
    Please don't get me wrong, there are some really awesome guys (ROs) like Paul (the big bore shooter) and Tony with the sniper-like Ruger 41 Magnum and the German fellow, but man, I swear some dudes, wow, take themselves & thier duties, way too seriously.

The upside of this, is I've never heard of a accident at any of thier ranges.
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

I can say without a doubt , if I was in Halifax or closer to it I would join AMA , of course it helps that I know and shoot with a lot of guys there .

Stopped in at AMA today to check it out, it looked pretty good, A very friendly and informative RO (Brian, maybe? I am so awful with names )talked to me and my brother and answered all my questions, was very helpful.
    However, both our hopes of shooting a handgun for the first time ever went unfulfilled, the offer never arose and I was uncertain if asking would have been considered rude, maybe I just should have asked? I just saw in another thread elsewhere several guys said they were blasting off a pile of rounds when they visited.
    I am not complaining by any means, just a little disappointed, now I have to wait a good while to get my chance.
    If I get to visit the other range by the airport I will try and arrange being signed in as a guest and bring some of my own ammo and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast