Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 8 Bore Safari

CGN Ultra frequent flyer svt1940's Avatar
    Congrat John! Awesome hunt you did and thanks for the pics!!!:D

Hey just to let everyone know I wasn't trying to be a ######.... comment wasn't related to the actual baisis for harvesting an animal, I understand the economic and social benefits of a big game hunt are huge for a region and that population control is necessary. The question I had was more based around the desire to put one of the biggest most beautiful animals on the planet in your sights and pulling the trigger. I'm actually curious to understand how a big game hunter feels about the kill? Mixed emotions? Or is the view that taking an animal is taking an animal... no matter the size or species?
    thanks for your input
    p.s I grew up in a small town where hunting is a way of life and have been a part of the sport since childhood (in no way anti-hunting)

Great hunt John!!!

Thank you for all the pics and info!

Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmik View Post
    After you park the Yaris in the garage, does the garage ask if it's in yet ??
    (joke, they're great cars in the summer)

Well that Buffalo should look nice next to the one in your store, how does it stack up in comparison?
    Let he who hath no sword sell his garment and buy one.

Business Member
    God that's cool

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Great photos btw. Was the hippo on land or in water when taken? Where was the bullet placement on the elephant as I'm curious of the 8bores penetration on the tusker. And lastly if you wouldn't mind what does the tag cost as well as the other costs involved in taking a buffalo. I prolly won't ever hunt a elephant but buffalo is most certainly on my list

In answer to a few more questions:

Ellie are on Quota so permits must be organised beforehand.
    The Hippo was in the water, as it was very hot (115 +) they did not come out until about 7 pm and it was too dark to shoot then. I sat on the bank and waited for a perfect shot to present itself, a side brain, at 35 m, the brain is about the size of a grapefruit.
    The Ellie was hit through the ribs, the bullet was recovered inside the skin on the other side. My last shot at approx 5 yds was a side brain (he was trying to sit up)and that smacked him down hard. The skull was buried before I had a chance to examine it in detail but I think we got penetration to the brain. The skull is buried so that after 4-5 days the tusks can be pulled out. I would not attempt a frontal brain on a bull Ellie with an 8 Bore, this shot is difficult under the best circumstances, unless it was a life or death (mine) situation.
    Buff hunts start at approx $9,000.00

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Awesome. I've been reading bout$10000 to start. I missed the african safari show in toronto this year but hopefully next year I can book in an african hunt. I really want a black and blue wildebeast and a couple warthogs and I nice sweeping long cape buff skull would be awesome in the man cave. Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by brybenn View Post
    Awesome. I've been reading bout$10000 to start. I missed the african safari show in toronto this year but hopefully next year I can book in an african hunt. I really want a black and blue wildebeast and a couple warthogs and I nice sweeping long cape buff skull would be awesome in the man cave. Thanks for the reply
    I would be pleased to quote you for a Safari when the time is right. We (Hunt Africa Safaris) are an agent for Great Kudu Land Safaris, I visited them last week and their facilities are excellent.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ardent's Avatar
    Northern BC, Coastal BC, or Africa. Depends on the season.
    Check out Zimbabwe Ben, best value and huge spaces. You can get a big bull, in wide open conservancies, for $7,000 with some plains game included. Check out Touch Africa Safaris. When I was over I was culling, so it's shoot what they say and less cushy than a lot of safari operations, but for a young guy like me absolutely perfect. Took this old bull out of a herd, he was keeping the fresh blood out, and an old blue wildebeest, and truckload of impala (literally) among other game. In all I spent less than most South Africa ranch plains game 1 week hunts, even with airfare figured in. Zim's got bigger spaces, great big game, and a truly wild flavour.