Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Borrowing guns

Borrowing guns

Hey I'm wanting to go shooting tomorrow, and I would like to take some of my buddies guns with me. He has given me permission, and I have a PAL, but we were wondering if lending was allowed?
    Thanks

Official French Facilitator lucky72's Avatar
    Loaning or Borrowing a Firearm
    Loaning or Borrowing a Firearm Firearms Act section [FA s.] 33: A person may lend a firearm only if (a) the person (i) has reasonable grounds to believe that the borrower holds a licence authorizing the borrower to possess that kind of firearm, and (ii) lends the borrower the registration certificate for the firearm... Therefore, you may lend a firearm to a person with a POL, because he "holds a licence authorizing the borrower to possess that kind of firearm." You do not need to do a formal transfer of the firearm, because FA s. 21 says that "For the purposes of sections 22 to 32 (the transfer procedure sections), 'transfer' means sell, barter or give." Criminal Code section [CC s.] 84(4)(b)(ii): "84(4) For the purposes of this Part, a person is the holder of... (b) a registration certificate for a firearm if... the person possesses the registration certificate with the permission of its lawful holder." Therefore, the borrower is the "holder" of both a licence to possess that kind of firearm and a registration certificate for that particular firearm, so he is in fully legal possession of it. You cannot legally lend someone a firearm unless you also lend him the registration certificate, so you cannot lend a firearm that you legally own under the provisions of CC s. 98 unless you have a registration certificate for it to loan with it. FA s. 59: "An individual who holds an authorization to carry or an authorization to transport need not be the person to whom the registration certificate for the particular prohibited firearm or restricted firearm was issued." Therefore, a borrower can get an authorization to carry or an authorization to transport a borrowed firearm. Often, he will not need an authorization to transport a borrowed handgun, because his existing ATT will cover it by language like, "all restricted firearms and prohibited handguns for which he holds registration certificates" [see CC s. 84(4)(b)(ii)].
    EOSC Member
    NRA Life Member
    CCFR Member

In lay-mans terms, if the guns are registered, and your friend has the proper registration cards, AND you have a valid PAL for the class of firearms you wish to borrow, you can borrow them as long as you remember to take the registration cards with you. Make sure you transport them correctly and have a safe and great time!

Thanks alot that was helpful. Going to print it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    So basicly if you meet your friend at a range ect.. you can hand him your guns and he can take them home ie restricteds.. if you belive that he can legally have them

Non restricteds are no problem. My understanding with restricteds is you pick them up from the owners house and go directly to the range, and when you are done return directly to their house. So for example you can't go home and clean them first. Of course you will need an ATT also.

Quote Originally Posted by climbhigher View Post
    Non restricteds are no problem. My understanding with restricteds is you pick them up from the owners house and go directly to the range, and when you are done return directly to their house. So for example you can't go home and clean them first. Of course you will need an ATT also.
    nope sorry. You must meet your friend at the range, then you can take them home from there. to return them you must again meet at the range. In alberta at least your att will be good "to and from all approved gun ranges, gunsmiths and border crossings" and the other end of the att would be your home address. So meet buddy at range. grab gun and cert and go to YOUr home and you'd be good to go.

Non restricted get the cert and go blastin!
    Homer Simpson: [flipping frantically through the Bible] This book doesn't have any answers!
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!

Quote Originally Posted by ndb86 View Post
    nope sorry. You must meet your friend at the range, then you can take them home from there. to return them you must again meet at the range. In alberta at least your att will be good "to and from all approved gun ranges, gunsmiths and border crossings" and the other end of the att would be your home address. So meet buddy at range. grab gun and cert and go to YOUr home and you'd be good to go.

Non restricted get the cert and go blastin!
    I guess your right. Your ATT would only cover your house to the range... You could always meet him at your local gunsmithing shop
    I thought somewhere the law stated that restricteds had to be stored at the residence in which they are registered to, unless en-route to a shoot/competition etc...
    Regardless the whole thing is stupid. why I have to get a short term to transport a restricted that I buy from the store to home, when I already have a long term ATT is beyond me.

you're preachin to the choir there.
    Homer Simpson: [flipping frantically through the Bible] This book doesn't have any answers!
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!

Welcome aboard.
    "We should focus on bad people rather that banned objects." Robert Poole Jr., director of transportation policy at the Reason Foundation

Family portrait:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...postcount=1040

Sisu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast