$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Good News! CadPat Recce Smocks back in stock!!

  1. #11
    Expired Business Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    422
    Three words, fit, construction, performance.

    Regards
    Brian Kroon

  2. #12
    Big Mouth Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by bellero View Post
    Not being sarcastic here but what makes this smock so much better than the issued clothing?
    Well since the issued clothing is still using the same construction and design technology for the late '60's early '70's.

    "God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.

  3. #13
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet cobalt545's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    3,165
    I have been using my CADPAT smock for almost 7 years. It needs some small repairs but it is still going strong. Lots of pocket space for carrying everything you need in the field. Alsoworks well on it's own as a light jacket and can be worn over top of fleece, snugpak puffy jackets, or an issued goretex parka liner depending on the cold. My Arid CADPAT smock served me well on some chilly nights in Helmand Province in 2006. I refuse to part with either of them thats how much I like them.
    "...a man with a two-dollar revolver is more than a match for the most expert swordsman." -Lt. E.W.B. Morrison


  4. #14
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet bellero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wainwright, Alberta
    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
    Well since the issued clothing is still using the same construction and design technology for the late '60's early '70's.
    I find the newer model parka, bibs and jacket pretty decent. I don't know what's so bad about it? Especially after wearing the old OD green stuff, I think the newer clothes are not bad at all. Besides, I didn't know they had Gore-Tex fabric in the 60's and 70's!!
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”
    ― George Orwell

    If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

  5. #15
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet bellero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wainwright, Alberta
    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt545 View Post
    I have been using my CADPAT smock for almost 7 years. It needs some small repairs but it is still going strong. Lots of pocket space for carrying everything you need in the field. Alsoworks well on it's own as a light jacket and can be worn over top of fleece, snugpak puffy jackets, or an issued goretex parka liner depending on the cold. My Arid CADPAT smock served me well on some chilly nights in Helmand Province in 2006. I refuse to part with either of them thats how much I like them.


    I love the issued stuff too. Especially after wearing the old OD green jacket with the useless Corduroy collar for almost 10 years!
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”
    ― George Orwell

    If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

  6. #16
    Super Moderator Morpheus32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by bellero View Post
    I find the newer model parka, bibs and jacket pretty decent. I don't know what's so bad about it? Especially after wearing the old OD green stuff, I think the newer clothes are not bad at all. Besides, I didn't know they had Gore-Tex fabric in the 60's and 70's!!
    If you sit in a command post or vehicle, the new CADPAT clothe the soldier stuff is OK. If you do alot of field stuff, particularly light infantry stuff, the ability to layer up without one massive jacket is worth it. I don't wear the issue shirt, just layers and keep the smock on the outside. I actually have two, one is a large which is for summer and early fall, then switch to my XL which I wear with all the layers I need to keep warm. Wore mine in Yellowknife at -40 a couple of times. No problems and better for working outdoors than just the parka and bibs. You can layer up and down depending on your activity.

    Worth every penny.
    Let Valour not Fail

  7. #17
    HELP! I sold my soul to the internet bellero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wainwright, Alberta
    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus32 View Post
    If you sit in a command post or vehicle, the new CADPAT clothe the soldier stuff is OK. If you do alot of field stuff, particularly light infantry stuff, the ability to layer up without one massive jacket is worth it. I don't wear the issue shirt, just layers and keep the smock on the outside. I actually have two, one is a large which is for summer and early fall, then switch to my XL which I wear with all the layers I need to keep warm. Wore mine in Yellowknife at -40 a couple of times. No problems and better for working outdoors than just the parka and bibs. You can layer up and down depending on your activity.

    Worth every penny.
    Make sense, It's true that infantry is much more demanding physically than my trade so it's always good to have the ability to adjust your clothing to your body temperature. I never realized the issued stuff was that bad for you guys since it was designed to be used as a layered clothing system.

    I'm still shocked about the crappy clothes we were issued when I joined so the newer stuff is like a novelty to me (The Parka I was issued on basic in 1994 was 21 years older than me according to the label!!)

    I spent my first 10 years in the Armored Corp and remember that our favorite dress in the field was a set of coveralls with the old rain jacket, lined with an American jacket liner and a polar fleece. I guess if the Drop Zone Smock would have been around back then we would've bought it.
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”
    ― George Orwell

    If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

  8. #18
    Administrator greentips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pluton
    Posts
    11,212
    The current gortex rain kits are pretty decent - but you can tell they are designed for "lasting and wear resistance" as well as coverage. However, they are not designed for action.

    The smock is probably a very infantry thing - because a hard gortex shell is probably difficult to make IR "neutral" and it does make quite a bit of noise during movement (probably more important for the recce people) - the result is that POS winter jacket that soaks up water on the outside (where the fabric can be IR treated), which renders the gortex immediately underneath useless ( how can you transfer moisture out of the body if the gortex is covered by a layer of water? osmosis does not work that way) It is not insulating, but it cannot wick the moisture either once it gets wet. So you feel like wearing a plastic bag that is wet on the outside but dry in the inside. The dropzone smock is basicly the winter jacket without the gortex, and the bulk.

    For regular people, 450 bucks is better spent on a gortex hardshell. Go out and buy a Arcteryx Alpha for the money. For the infantry guys, 450 bucks buy the freedom to wear whatever non-issue kits underneath.


    Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

  9. #19
    I have no life scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,096
    Oh issue CF kit. Nothing like wearing the ICE pants with just boxers underneath in -30C. Pulling that toboggan up that hill in Meaford.... good times.

    Freedom of layering is the best. I find my self wearing the issue CF GTX rain jacket (velcro shoulder pockets) with my Arcteryx Atom LT and a HH baselayer. Green shirt? Combat shirt? NO thanks....

    I agree, the CF rain gear is made to be to heavy duty and is to hot on summer days. I may know someone who cut the liner out of his, which did help, as the pit zips would open up fully and air your body out, but the material so so thick and heavy duty compared to a regular GTX Shell.

    The ICES jacket is garbage, its been in my MOP box for years.... the Parka has its uses, but I've always been okay with a good base layer (not the issued stuff), a Atom LT, Issued CadPat fleece then the rain jacket ontop.

    Back on topic, I was meaning to buy a Recce Smock, just the other day someone from 3VP BCoy was jumping with one, and made me wish I pulled the trigger on it when I had the chance.
    /

  10. #20
    Team Gunnutz Airborn_69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grande Cache, Alberta
    Posts
    5,732
    I've seen how these products are made, high tech & rugged are my two words for this smock. For $450, no problem!

    You'll never have to buy another one, ever.
    NFA Member.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt-roc View Post
    i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
collapse blockhead options_correctBookmarks