Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Firearms Safety Courses question

yeah, I was thinking of taking a course. I have never ever fired a real fire arm (i fired an air gun once in germany, but thats not.....well...a "real" gun), and I only held a pistol and an M4 once, so some Gun 101 training would be useful.

CGN Regular
    Take the course. It's quite useful above and beyond the "prep" for the tests.

In BC at least there are many independent instructors who don't maintain websites or storefronts, so the best way to find them AND get solid recommendations is to visit a local gun store or two. If you're interested in target shooting it would be nice to have a target shooter as your instructor. If you want to hunt, it's useful to have a hunter as your instructor. Won't affect your course of instruction re: the PAL, but there's so much value-added with a decent instructor that it's worth it.

I just finished the Silvercore course (PAL/RPAL) in Delta, BC.
    The course is great, gives you all that you need for exams, plus much much more.
    Totally worth every cent, and actually a lot of fun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    I recommend the course. You don't want to fumble in the practical test because you only had the one time with an air rifle. In the two day course you handle all of the different actions. Unless you found a friend with all the guns who would teach you the hands on portion I don't see how you can transfer what you see on an online video to practical.

See the course as part entertainment and meeting other people too. It's fun.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

BANNED
    To be honest, and take my advice as I can relate with you (speaking from someone closer to your age) Save up and spend the 200$, nothing in this world is cheap, and 200$ is cheap for the course, compared to were i took mine in ontario, i think i paid about 250ish or so for rpal and pal, when you spend that kind of money, specially from someone who came on here to offer you guidance, that speaks alot on behalf of silvercore

also dont try and look for a 1day course, if your taking your pal and rpal, i know people who have failed, but when you go, take notes, they ask you questions that will throw you off( of the test)

----Think of spending that money as a investment, besides the fact, silvercore is prob the best in the bc area (i dont live there, so dont hate and no disrespect to any other instructors)

goodluck with your course, and best of luck on your exams

whats the difference between a wadcutter and semiwadcutter?

who knows, right??? wrong that woulda costed you buddy!

sit down, take notes, and absorb asmuch information as you can, im a huge gun nut, but i even learned alot! (family history of military, and alot of firearms exp)

goodluck

as silveragent said, veiw as the courses as fun, and good experience, it only happens once, remember that

besides.. you dont wanna handle 50+ firearms? thats what i did during my 3 days on course =)

I teach both the non-restricted and restricted courses here in Yellowknife and I don't encourage people to try the challenge. A significant part of the manual is an illustration of the hands-on training which is done in the course, so pure book knowledge isn't an insurmountable obstacle by any means. Usually, people score 90% and above in the written part. I had two Armenian guys in my last course who weren't at all fluent in English and one of them actually got the second highest mark in the class on the written part.

Where most people mess up is on the practical, mainly because the test is very specific in where it awards and subtracts points. For example, the PROVE procedure must be followed to the letter whenever a firearm is picked up - skip a step and you lose a point. If you skip that same step each time you have to PROVE a firearm in the test you're down by about six points. That leaves you only four points you can afford to lose for everything else!

Another example is where the test states:"Student attempts to engage safety." People who challenge the course often look at the safety and if it's already on they don't bother to touch it. That costs them a point as they didn't "attempt to engage safety".

The point I am making is that a challenge, in my opinion, isn't the way to go. A good instructor will drill you and correct you in those small, necessary tidbits so when it comes time for the practical test you're well rehearsed and ready. I hate to see some kid, or adult, lay down his or her hard earned money in the hopes of getting it all over with in an hour or so but only having to come back and pay a second time for another challenge or, ironically, to do the course!
    When someone sends me text asking a question and uses "plz" instead of "please" because it's shorter, I always tell them "no" instead of "yes" because it's shorter!!!

You're best served by taking the course. There's too many pro's to list, and the cons are a one-time cost and a day out of your life. You're tested on the same firearms you'll practice with so no surprises.

I'd suggest getting your restricted too. I recommend it to everyone. You may have no intention of purchasing a handgun or restricted rifle (like the extremely popular AR platform), but it will be an option for you in the future.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If anybody plans to do something dumb like move to Quebec take the course and then the test.I challanged the test in Alberta and now have to take the course and the test over again to hunt here. I had to hunt this year with a goofy novice license instead.
    The saftey course and test here is just 50 guestions with no practical like I had to take in Alberta.Must be because there is hardley any barbwire fences here.I had also passed the old Alberta hunter saftey course back in the early 70s and was ticked off as it was to have to take another test again in 2004.

There is a guy in Cloverdale called Kent Archibald he runs these courses good prices I think not sure of the number though......

CGN Regular
    I heard about an app called Gun Test Canada on Android, might want to check that out since it has questions for both the restricted and non-restricted portion of the test.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast