Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What i can or cant bring across the border

What i can or cant bring across the border

Hey guys Im kinda new to firearms and I was wondering what firearm parts I can or cant bring up from the states into Canada w/o any special licensing. I know receivers are a definite no no, but what about other parts like triggers, sears, bolts, barrels, etc.
    To be more specific, I was looking at a Marlin 336 Rifle Lever. (lever only. No rifle)
    I dont yet have PAL yet.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the board. You'll find that this has been discussed a lot - over and over again to be exact. Practice using the search function since you're new to the board. Search for "US Export". There is also a lengthly sticky on the subject.

Very, very simple. You can bring NOTHING back from the US that is really a firearm part. Not a magazine, not a spring, not a trigger, not a stock, not even a screw (if it is identified as a firearm part).

US ITAR regulations are very clear. The exporter (i.e. you) need an export permit no matter how much or how little your shipment of parts costs. The shipment itself (i.e. the parts themselves) also needs a license. An exporter with a permit (which I presume you are not or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place) can get an exemption for the shipment's license if the cost of the shipment is less than $100.00 USD but you still need the permit.

Some parts are explicitly not allowed to be exported such as parts for designated military or military type firearms or rifle scopes with 'military technology'.

It hasn't always been this way and yes it sucks but that's current US regulations. None of these restrictions are because of Canadian Law. If you get caught trying to export with out the US paperwork, you're pretty much screwed. Canadian customs don't enforce it but if US officials catch you, you're done.

You can also bring NO reloading components or loaded ammunition. You can bring tools, cleaning supplies, refinishing products, bipods, slings, scope covers, and other things that are not firearm parts.

There is a process by which a private citizen can obtain the permit/license to export from the US but it is most likely not worth it for any typical private purchase.

Some US vendors hold the correct permits and can/will export to Canada. Call their help desk or check out their web sites. Brownells is the best out there as they export most of their catalogue (not all) and will work with you to figure out if you can or cannot get the items. Some OEMs export - Savage Arms for example will export parts, magazines, etc. to Canada.

Your best bet is try to find a Canadian retailer for what you're looking for. It isn't always easy but do your homework and then ask here on the board and someone will probably help.

Yep prices will typically be a little higher in Canada (smaller market, some shipping, and stock was probably purchased before the Canadian dollar went above par) and selection isn't as grand as in the land of the free but what we have is due to US law and it won't change unless they change their regulations.
    Fusilier
    Webmaster for:
    IPSC NS - www.ipscns.ca

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pres717's Avatar
    That's a great reply, Fusilier!
    "I like guns, I like the way they look,
    I like the shiny steel and the polished wood.
    I don´t care if they´re big or small,
    if they´re for sale, hell, I want´em all!
    I like guns, I like guns, I like guns!"
    (Steve Lee)

BANNED
    Hi. These guys are Marlin's Canadian Authorized Repair Center.
    The Gravel Agency
    1530 Provinciale Street
    Quebec
    Phone #: 866-662-4869
    Fax #: 4186823343

Wow...that was a reply way better than i was expecting. I guess i'll be looking at some Canadian dealers for now then. Too bad though. Lever going $20 is a total steal.

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it!

CGN Regular
    Hello, I am also new to firearms and have a question about shipping items. I assume the op's question was about going through the border? What about buying ammunition online from a retailer or gunbroker.com? Is it legal in Canada to buy ammo from the US Online? Is there permits/forms needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ioncannon View Post
    Hello, I am also new to firearms and have a question about shipping items. I assume the op's question was about going through the border? What about buying ammunition online from a retailer or gunbroker.com? Is it legal in Canada to buy ammo from the US Online? Is there permits/forms needed?
    I don't know of any dealer that can ship live ammo to a customer living in Canada. Get used to paying the Canadian prices.

BANNED
    Ummmmmmm,

marijuana , cocaine , heroin , rifle parts, scopes = BAD

socks, keychains, hats, golf clubs, binoculars = GOOD

Honestly I wouldn't even risk bringing anything that had anything to do with firearms.

Why risk the hassle, it may cost slightly more but it pays to shop local.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ioncannon View Post
    What about buying ammunition online from a retailer or gunbroker.com? Is it legal in Canada to buy ammo from the US Online?
    You are asking several different questions here.
    -Is it legal in Canada to buy ammo from the US Online?
    Yup, totally legal.
    -Is it legal in the USA for a Canadian to buy ammo from the US Online?
    Nope.
    If you are a resident of the US you can buy (but not export) ammo, if you, as a non-resident alien get a hunting licence or an invite to a competition in the US and apply to the ATF you can be granted permission to buy a limited (but pretty generous) amount of ammo to use while you are in the US. (it's called something like a "form-6")
    If you are a US resident and get a hunting licence or an invite to a Canadian competition you can get a permit to export the ammo for your personal use.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

Splatter has done his research. It basically boils down to this; The US doesn't want canadians having fancy guns, but they are totally cool with selling Weapons to Saudi Arabia( http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34838937) . Also, i just wanna add that scope mounting bases and rings do not require a US export permit; however, any "telescopic optical sighting device" or an optical sighting device with a "reticle" is not permitted for export without a permit.
    Here is thing though, how frequent does the US boarder services perform export checks on those leaving US and entering Canada? I have purchased rifle scope 20moa bases from US retailers, when I cross the Canadian border the guards, looked at m PAL cause I handed it to them with my passport, then they took the liberty to give me a long lecture about US export laws of which they knew nothing about.

so, I spend 2 hours combing legal Jargon trying to truly figure out what I could export and what i could not, i discovered that scope mounts were allowed, and i compiled a document to "share" with the Canadian boarder officers in the event of another lecture the next time I crossed the boarder with scope mounts. A few weeks later I was returning to Canada with another 20MOA rail, some offset iron sights and a muzzle threat protector, and of course, the document I had put together explaining that I was within my rights. The Canadian border officer looked at my passport, peaked at the assortment of rifle accessories on my passenger seat, told me a story about a cat running into a window and sent me on my way.

Anyone have any horror stories about being subject to a US export check on their way home? Are export checks a thing?

here is the little narrative I compiled.

""""For the boarder officers:

1. Mounts for optical firearm sighting devices are EAR99.
    EAR99 is defined as:
    “If your item falls under U.S. Department of Commerce jurisdiction and is not listed on the CCL, it is designated as EAR99. EAR99 items generally consist of low-technology consumer goods and do not require a license in most situations. However, if your proposed export of an EAR99 item is to an embargoed country, to an end-user of concern, or in support of a prohibited end-use, you may be required to obtain a license.” (U.S. Department of Commerce, 2015).
    2. Optical sighting devices: The U.S. Department of Commerce (2015) page explains that the ECCN for riflescopes and hunting scopes is found under section 0A987 in the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (2015). Section 0A987 states that optical sights for firearms that are telescopic, holographic, reflex/red-dot sights, reticle sights, other sighting devices that contain optical elements, laser pointing sights, and lenses for any of the aforementioned sighting systems are subject to controlled export in keeping with the firearms convention (The Commerce Control List, 2015). In order to export these items one must submit an application to the Bureau of Industry and Security via their Simplified Netwok Application Processing (SNAP-R) system (Country Chart, 2015). The websight enabling application for export of controlled items is as follows: https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/li...-r/cin-request
    It is not clear whether the SNAP-R system is for the explicit use of businesses or “companies” or whether individuals can register as a company and then submit electronic export requests as required. I am pending response from Bureau of Industry and Security staff.

References

U.S. Department of Commerce (2015). Bureau of Industry and Security: Export of firearms and related items FAQs. Retrieved December 15th, 2015 from https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/po...dance/firearms
    Country Chart (2015). Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: Title 15, subtitle B, chapter VII, subchapter C, Part 738: Commerce Conrol List overview and the country chart. Retrieved December 15th, 2015 from http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieve...5.2.738&r=PART

The Commerce Control List (2015). Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: Title 15, subtitle B, chapter VII, subchapter C, Part 774 The Commerce Control List. Heading 0A987. Retrived December 15th, 2015 from http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...p15.2.774_12.1
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast