Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Surplus Irish Body Armour?

CGN frequent flyer Cyanide Ride's Avatar
    It's a Ceramic plate with IIIA soft body armor (acording to Frontier)

I bought a set and yes, you can cut the panels out, then cut the plates and soft armor out as well.

I cut mine out because I wanted to inspect the plates for impact damage. The plates themselves are glued to the soft armor, so I put them back into the nylon panels and stuffed them into a Condor plate carrier. The plates themselves are very large and the front has "operator cuts" but just barely. It will prevent you from getting a "proper" isosceles stance/grip when using a pistol but nothing that is unmanageable. The back plate is a large rectangle with a "hump" in the middle for what I guess would be your spine when you sit down.

Mine was issued and did not smell, but it did have what appeared to be coffee spilled on the front if it.

Quite happy with the purchase I might add!

I'd definitely recommend anyone wanting to get started in Body armor to look here. Once I save up for polymer plates, I will likely replace the ceramic ones.
    "... And the complacency of fools will destroy them..." Proverbs 1:32

Unofficial TV-PressPass fan.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar
    I had a video up of it but took it down and deleted any trace of it.....BA illegal in my province now.

I can tell you it did not stink, was not faded, weight about 26lbs, was large enough to fit a 6 foot 2 240lb guy, and the plates did NOT come out.

Thats what I bought anyway.

A good deal imo. with the 2 plates.

It did have a cop's initials on the inside....imo adds character to the vest and unless you are putting it on you'd never know it was there.
    Last edited by CanadianReich; 07-07-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianReich View Post
    I had a video up of it but took it down and deleted any trace of it.....BA illegal in my province now.

I can tell you it did not stink, was not faded, weight about 26lbs, was large enough to fit a 6 foot 2 240lb guy, and the plates did NOT come out.

Thats what I bought anyway.

A good deal imo. with the 2 plates.
    anything with come out, if you use a razor.
    I bought two for disection.
    You can actually cut it out of the carrier.
    Inside is the softarmour glued to ceramic plate inside another cover.
    If you cut them out out of that cover, then you can access the plates, and soft armour. if you use brute force, flathead and some leverage, you can cam the plate from the soft armour.

I suppose that this stuff could fit inside modern plate / armour carriers. The soft armour would have to be trimmed to BALCS template. Good luck trying to find a pair of shears that will cut through kevalr.

BUt all the sweat, not sure if its worth it.
    Disclosure: I work for Veritac Global

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by nza View Post
    anything with come out, if you use a razor.
    I bought two for disection.
    You can actually cut it out of the carrier.
    Inside is the softarmour glued to ceramic plate inside another cover.
    If you cut them out out of that cover, then you can access the plates, and soft armour. if you use brute force, flathead and some leverage, you can cam the plate from the soft armour.

I suppose that this stuff could fit inside modern plate / armour carriers. The soft armour would have to be trimmed to BALCS template. Good luck trying to find a pair of shears that will cut through kevalr.

BUt all the sweat, not sure if its worth it.
    Carefull with the kevlar folks. cutting ,sanding, grinding! It is very bad for the lungs.I work for an airline and our maint guys won't touch it, not even sanding the kevlar ( carbon fiber) parts unless in an approved dirty room with proper vents and breathing equipment.I would recommend reading up on it first!

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the tip off! I just ordered a large and a medium(not sure which size will fit me). Once I figure out which one has the best fit, you may see the second one show up on the EE if none of my local buddies want to take it off my hands...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    Carefull with the kevlar folks. cutting ,sanding, grinding! It is very bad for the lungs.I work for an airline and our maint guys won't touch it, not even sanding the kevlar ( carbon fiber) parts unless in an approved dirty room with proper vents and breathing equipment.I would recommend reading up on it first!
    Kevlar and carbon fiber are two entirely different things. When cutting or grinding carbon fiber, beware of the fine particles. I'm not aware of any similar problem with straight kevlar fabric.
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

Thinking about getting one but cant really justifiy a reason except "just cause" ..
    might buy one anywaaaayy ;]

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_1911 View Post
    Thinking about getting one but cant really justifiy a reason except "just cause" ..
    CanadianReich gives us all a good reason -- Nova Scotia has banned private possession of body armour. (I suppose they're afraid of some armour-clad lunatic breaking into a school and squashing all the kids to death.) The fact that "they", whoever "they" might be, do not want us to have it is as good a reason as any to buy it.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean_1911 View Post
    That's all the reason I had before placing my order The "just cause" reason has led to all sorts of weird stuff getting tucked away in closets, safes, and drawers.

Frontier doesnt take E-cheques do they?