Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which range in KW area?

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Elmira Rod and Gun? It's 175$ a year plus 60$ first time fee. we have 100 and 200 yard outdoor and 25 indoor, clay thrower outside, also archery trail through a large forest with 3d targets! We're approved for pretty much everything outdoor except IPSC. Indoor is same rules as Colby, but we're half the price and 100x the range plus not nearly the same amount of traffic! Although you need a member to refer you to the club....
    Google us!
    You wont regret it!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jarlath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scamaniac View Post
    I put my name on the waiting list in ink hoping to join Galt Sportsmens for the sole purpose of use of the rifle range over 3 years ago. Never heard back from the club. I contacted them recently and was told that now there is still a waiting list for the 200yd range, and now those openings are only made available to existing club members.
    I was/am more than willing to pay membership fees even though I really only need a place to shoot rifles a half dozen times a year. I guess they don't need my $. I don't plan to join any club where there is no guarantee that I can even use the part of the club that most interests me. I live within earshot of the place and the range doesn't sound so busy every day that there could be no room for others. Maybe it's a legal # issue or just poor business skills of the organizers. My 2 cents.
    The decision to Cap the membership of the rifle section was strictly Rifle Section's prerogative. The cap costs the main club money. I have heard that cap may be lifted which is a good thing as a cap is a STUPID idea IMHO.
    "Every loss of a soldier is a significant one. These great Canadians, died serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan."
    Modified statement of Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

Vice President for the Canadian Shooting Sports Association www.cssa-cila.org
    Active participant of the ODPL www.odplonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by TheTomEGunn View Post
    I cannot believe no one has mentioned Elmira Rod and Gun? It's 175$ a year plus 60$ first time fee. we have 100 and 200 yard outdoor and 25 indoor, clay thrower outside, also archery trail through a large forest with 3d targets! We're approved for pretty much everything outdoor except IPSC. Indoor is same rules as Colby, but we're half the price and 100x the range plus not nearly the same amount of traffic! Although you need a member to refer you to the club....
    Google us!
    You wont regret it!
    I was borderline adding in even Bridgeport. Elmira is slightly further (5-10 minutes further outside of Waterloo compared to Bridgeport) but has been added as noted in previous posts.
    Last edited by Jarlath; 07-31-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    "Every loss of a soldier is a significant one. These great Canadians, died serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan."
    Modified statement of Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG666 View Post
    Much appreciated everybody, special thanks to Jarlath for the great comparison. Does Bridgeport not do rifles outdoor? And what do you mean by 'handgun calibers' for outdoor shooting at WCRA? The rifles must be in handgun caliber???
    As far as I know that is correct. Aka. A Winchester 94 in 30-30 is verbotten, but a Puma in .357Mag is OK.
    Please contact the club for full up to date rules and regulations as well as clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlath View Post
    The decision to Cap the membership of the rifle section was strictly Rifle Section's prerogative. The cap costs the main club money. I have heard that cap may be lifted which is a good thing as a cap is a STUPID idea IMHO.
    I am not a member of the Galt Rifle Executive but have been a section member for many years. The rifle range at Galt operated there for over 50 years without a problem until about 3 years ago. Until then it was not hard to join and the rules while sensible were not onerous.

Three years ago the range faced issue with neighbours and the CFO that arose after an influx of new members who wanted to play rapid-fire, Rambo Retard with their SKS and CZ. What followed was a long list of new range restrictions imposed by the CFO. What remains is a strict member limit, tough probation rules for new members, ammo restrictions, firing speed rules, end to public sight-in days, no shooting along on weekends and holidays and a zero tolerance for any snot-nose little arsehole who doesn't follow the rules to the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG666 View Post
    Much appreciated everybody, special thanks to Jarlath for the great comparison. Does Bridgeport not do rifles outdoor? And what do you mean by 'handgun calibers' for outdoor shooting at WCRA? The rifles must be in handgun caliber???
    Bridgeport has a 100 yard rifle range, handgun range, trap and skeet as well. $115 for membership with handgun and $100 without handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by DBeato View Post
    Bridgeport has a 100 yard rifle range, handgun range, trap and skeet as well. $115 for membership with handgun and $100 without handgun.
    Updated.

If anyone has details on # of positions, yardages, etc... on missing information, let us know here or PM me with the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
    I am not a member of the Galt Rifle Executive but have been a section member for many years. The rifle range at Galt operated there for over 50 years without a problem until about 3 years ago. Until then it was not hard to join and the rules while sensible were not onerous.

Three years ago the range faced issue with neighbours and the CFO that arose after an influx of new members who wanted to play rapid-fire, Rambo Retard with their SKS and CZ. What followed was a long list of new range restrictions imposed by the CFO. What remains is a strict member limit, tough probation rules for new members, ammo restrictions, firing speed rules, end to public sight-in days, no shooting along on weekends and holidays and a zero tolerance for any snot-nose little arsehole who doesn't follow the rules to the letter.
    Sure. There were two problems with the whole situation.
    #1 it was EXISTING members who caused all the issues. A membership cap at the time until their orientation course and probation rules were hammered out. Now that every existing member and all new members are supposed to have taken this orientation (explaining the rules and noting zero tolerance), what is the purpose of the cap?

The two man rule and many of the issues were from the Rifle executive complaining to the CFO instead of internally policing. (aka, telling the CFO that some members are destroying range property and acting careless, instead of finding them and doing a Mark Holland and turfing their asses.)

What followed was a long list of new range restrictions imposed by the CFO. What remains is a strict member limit, tough probation rules for new members, ammo restrictions, firing speed rules, end to public sight-in days, no shooting along on weekends and holidays and a zero tolerance for any snot-nose little arsehole who doesn't follow the rules to the letter.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to hear the BS that the club was put through, but now I understand what's going on. No wonder it's been so quiet. I was hoping to meet locals with common interests at the club since I grew up 60 miles from here. I don't own any semi's but don't want to join a range where things are so tight that I have to be afraid to fart in rapid succession With a little work I was able to shoot out to 125 yds in my back yard and will make due with that as long as the neighbors will tolerate me. Thanks to Claybuster for the info/explanation.

In my experience, the waiting list is only about 3 months or less once one actually joins Galt. The club makes every effort to accommodate any paying member who wishes to jon the section. It just doesn't happen over night. To the best of my knowledge, every paying member who has been put on the "member's waiting list" is in the section in very short order.

Note there is a diffence between the members waiting list and non-members waiting list, with priority being given to getting members into the section.

Want to get into the section? Join the club, enjoy some shotgun for a little bit, and you'll be shooting your rifle before you go through two flats of shotgun shells.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast