Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which range in KW area?

Which range in KW area?

I have had my Ruger 10/22 sitting in my basement for some time now without a single round put through it yet. I live in the Kitchener-Waterloo area and I am looking for a good place to get a membership.

Distance and price are important, I won't be able to get out a whole lot so I don't want to pay large membership fees. I would prefer a range that allows for a variety of different firearms to be used, as I plan to own pistols, shotguns, and rifles.

Please let me know which range you support and why!

Thank in advance!

CGN Regular
    Galt sportsmen club is the best! Hands down, but you have to pay for it.

If your looking for a place to blast away for. A good price look at Bridgeport rod and gun or Waterloo rod and gun

Same situation as me. I've got a 10/22 (sr-22) and a few other guns and I live in Waterloo. I've been looking for a range for a while and I might pay for a membership to Colby in the fall. The only problem is that they are pistols and rimfire only and I'd like to do more long-range stuff later on. On the plus side, they're very close to where I work.

Good luck! Hope you find a good range

Quote Originally Posted by mmanjos View Post
    I might pay for a membership to Colby in the fall. The only problem is that they are pistols and rimfire only and I'd like to do more long-range stuff later on.
    I belong to Colby and you can shoot rifle calibers there.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG666 View Post
    I would prefer a range that allows for a variety of different firearms to be used, as I plan to own pistols, shotguns, and rifles.

Please let me know which range you support and why!

Thank in advance!
    Then you want to save up and join Galt. Our handgun section is very large/organized, and our shotgun/clays section is extremely large/active. Rifle is a little bit of a different animal, but, once you're a club member easy to join, however, in order to join rifle you have to be a club member first essentially. It's a bit of a cart before the horse type arrangement, but, far easier then some make it out to be.

It's a little pricey, but, with a 250 acre property, and as much as there is to do, it's worth it. I don't regret joining a few years ago, and while I hate renewing, it's always worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
    I belong to Colby and you can shoot rifle calibers there.
    Ah I thought I read somewhere on their site that it was pistols and rimfire only. Now I can't find it so I was probably confusing it with some other range.

Good to know.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jarlath's Avatar
    Updates...
    I am only mentioning ranges which are 45 minutes or LESS from Kitchener Downtown (via Google Maps) (aka map shows 42-47min, it is 45min average)
    Hence why Guelph/Burlington/etc are not included...

If you see any errors or missing information, please PM me.

Colby's Gun Club @ Shooter's Choice (15-20 min from downtown Kitchener)
    631 Colby Drive
    Waterloo, ON N2V 1B4
    (866) 257-7270

Colby's is $305 annually (Firearms only, $375 combined with Archery), $35 initiation, $30 key deposit
    20m, 8 position indoor firearms range, 20-30yd free stand archery range

Sportsman's Club - Galt (30-35 min from downtown Kitchener) (Finally added rates to the website...)
    6542 Gore Road
    Cambridge, Ontario CANADA

Galt varies from $340 (Clays only) to $605 (Every section) annually. $60 initiation, $85 Handgun orientation/safety course
    25-200yd outdoor handgun/restricted, 25-200yd outdoor rifle, trap/skeet/5-stand/sporting clays, archery, Indoor (rimfire rifle/archery/handguns), and fishing.

Waterloo County Revolver Association (15-20 min from downtown Kitchener)
    Road Marker #2278, Snyder's Road East
    Wilmot, Ontario

WCRA membership is $230 annually.
    20yd, 12 position indoor (rimfire/handgun only), 100m Silhouette, 40 & 50yd Handgun, 2x 35yd IPSC CoF ranges. All outdoor ranges are for Handgun/Shotgun/Centerfire Rifle (handgun calibres)

Pioneer Sportsmen Club (12-15 min from downtown Kitchener)
    211 Pioneer Tower Road
    Kitchener, ON.
    Club phone: (519) 653-3781

Pioneer membership is Approximately $265 annually (including range fees)
    20yd Indoor, airguns and rimfire pistol only.

Bridgeport Rod & Gun Club (25-30 min from downtown Kitchener)
    1229 Beitz Road, R.R. #1
    Woolwich, Ontario, N0B 1M0

BRGC membership is $175 annually, $100 initiation, $25 Key deposit, and $100 (Handgun safety course)
    100 yard rifle range, handgun range (outdoor) , trap and skeet field(s)

Just the local 5 in the tri-city area. Prices may not include initiation fees or keys/cards/etc...
    If I have missed any, please let me know or chime in!

Added July 31, 2011:
    Elmira & District Rod & Gun Club (35-40 min from downtown Kitchener) (Not acepting new members according to website Sept 24th/2013)
    6533 Reid Woods Drive
    Elmira, Ontario
    Canada

Annual membership rate is $175/year, plus a one-time $75 initiation fee for new members (new members must provide a Police Background Check) (+$65 for membership in the pistol club for ATT's)
    100yd Outdoor Range (Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle); 200yd, 15 position outdoor (rifle only); 25yd, 6 position indoor (all rimfire firearms/lead bullet handguns only); Walking 3D archery range.

Added August 22, 2011
    Twin City Rifle Club (45 min from downtown Kitchener)
    1858 Line 40 Perth East
    New Hamburg, Ontario
    Canada

Membership: ? Unknown ?
    Handgun & Rifle (25m-300m), 2 Trap fields, 2 Skeet fields
    Open Wednesday 7:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday 12:00pm-5:00pm

German Canadian Hunting and Fishing Club (20 min from downtown Kitchener) aka Hubertushaus

1605 Bleams Road
    Wilmont, Ontario
    Canada

Annual membership rate is $70/year
    Facilities: Unknown (rifle only?)
    Last edited by Jarlath; 09-24-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: updated what I could.
    "Every loss of a soldier is a significant one. These great Canadians, died serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan."
    Modified statement of Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

Vice President for the Canadian Shooting Sports Association www.cssa-cila.org
    Active participant of the ODPL www.odplonline.org

Much appreciated everybody, special thanks to Jarlath for the great comparison. Does Bridgeport not do rifles outdoor? And what do you mean by 'handgun calibers' for outdoor shooting at WCRA? The rifles must be in handgun caliber???

CGN frequent flyer speedjunkiesracing's Avatar
    At Colby you dont have to be a member. Just rent a lane.
    $10 an hour. I think????
    The Toecutter, He knows who I am

Quote Originally Posted by SPRTN308 View Post
    Then you want to save up and join Galt. Our handgun section is very large/organized, and our shotgun/clays section is extremely large/active. Rifle is a little bit of a different animal, but, once you're a club member easy to join, however, in order to join rifle you have to be a club member first essentially. It's a bit of a cart before the horse type arrangement, but, far easier then some make it out to be.

It's a little pricey, but, with a 250 acre property, and as much as there is to do, it's worth it. I don't regret joining a few years ago, and while I hate renewing, it's always worth it.
    I put my name on the waiting list in ink hoping to join Galt Sportsmens for the sole purpose of use of the rifle range over 3 years ago. Never heard back from the club. I contacted them recently and was told that now there is still a waiting list for the 200yd range, and now those openings are only made available to existing club members.
    I was/am more than willing to pay membership fees even though I really only need a place to shoot rifles a half dozen times a year. I guess they don't need my $. I don't plan to join any club where there is no guarantee that I can even use the part of the club that most interests me. I live within earshot of the place and the range doesn't sound so busy every day that there could be no room for others. Maybe it's a legal # issue or just poor business skills of the organizers. My 2 cents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast