Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: received my sks? no factory stamps/markings?

CGN Regular

CGN Regular
    well not sure which way the firing goes back in the block all I know is it moves freely either way any help

These Chinese military rifles have heavier stocks than their “civilian” counterparts,
    they feature machined receivers and chromed lined barrels....
    If you got that, you got what you paid for.
    The note at the end seems to say they are all "Factory 26" rifles, but they likely have crates and crates of these things and didn't inspect every single rifle for markings.
    This of it this way, your's is rarer haveing no markings...?
    Still not sure why you didn't opt for a Russian model which is basically the same price?
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

Just to share some info with you and may this help.

In the history of chinese SKS making, during the 1950-70s, a lots of smaller size manufacturers were set up at remote countryside to prepare the potential war between China and America. But,those factories are not capable to produce major parts like barrel/receiver/hammer etc. so, factories like #216/#356/#296 will produce the major parts and sent to them for assembly.
    The parts they sent out are never stamped with any maker's stamp but only the serial number because they don't know which factory will receive them. The smaller factory, usually have 4 digits code such as #9821/#5017, most of them does not have a marker stamp(works like branding today) and therefore no stamp on the gun, only the serial number. Most of the cases, the stock were installed after receiving the parts and only part of the serial number were pressed on the stock.
    Those outsourced SKS once assembled, they were picked up by the military and transfer to the local military warehouse for storage, there are been several consolidation in Chinese military history where they merged and eliminated military regions, warehouse were merged too so the guns been moving around the country.
    From what i know, only military firearm require serial numbers on all major parts, its for two major purpose. One, the gun will be assigned to a soldier, he must took the reasonability for the gun and make the gun as complete unit. The gun is government property. Second, it's for help indentifying the reminds of the solider if he/she died.
    The best way to separate Chinese military SKS and civilian-force SKS is the receiver. If its forged, it was made for military use. If its riveted receiver , its for civilian use.
    In the early 90s, lots of used SKS were sold in the US market and those SKS were either used military or civilian version. Serial numbers may not match because those were basically recycled at different factories.
    The SKS you received, has all matching serial number and everything looks brand new, never fired. From the picture, which i am not very sure, but looks like the receiver is forged and even the stock has a serial number. That tells me everything is authentic.
    Last edited by sunnysun; 07-27-2011 at 09:31 PM.

A example of different stamp but both are same Chinese Military SKSs.
    The top one is so call factory 26, but actually 626.

Different factories has different marking style. One has chinese letter and one does not. Both rifle was produced in year 1957 as well as your rifle.

CGN Regular
    sunny sun thanks for the info, I also got your pm forgot to mention the thanks , I think my trigger group may be milled vs stamped but im not sure, as for going with a russian, All the russians I can find are refurbs where this seems to be all original

sunny, how can you tell what year my rifle was made?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RMXC51's Avatar
    The "16" prefix is a date code.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

The top of the two pictures in sunnysun's post is actually a 625 factory SKS, not a 626 or a 26. The 6 of the 625 is the outside triangle. The two is plain to see, and the 5 might look like a 6, but the loop on the bottom half of the number doesn't look like it is a full loop.

I have a Factory 625 SKS (and so does my brother). The first two digits of the serial number on my SKS are 15. The stamping on mine seems to be a bit more clear and refined than the one in the picture - but that could be the picture, or the cosmoline.

There's some debate about the prefix date code. Some argue that we only have real data for Factory 26 date codes, and that those prefix codes aren't valid for non-Factory 26 SKSs. I don't care either way... Threaded barrel, and it functions like a firearm should (ie, goes bang when you want it to).

I wish I had a Factory 26 SKS though - just for historical purposes.
    "All they now possess is liberty, what they before enjoyed is sacrificed to its service, and having nothing more to lose, they disdain submission." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

Liberal promise, a first rate oxymoron.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Woodbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RMXC51 View Post
    The "16" prefix is a date code.
    Date code only works for Factory 26 marked guns,not ones like this one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Woodbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysun View Post
    A example of different stamp but both are same Chinese Military SKSs.
    The top one is so call factory 26, but actually 626.

Different factories has different marking style. One has chinese letter and one does not. Both rifle was produced in year 1957 as well as your rifle.

Neither this SKS nor the OP's were made in 1957. They did not come from Factory 26,so the serial number dating sequence does not work with them.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast