Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown Land near and around Calgary

Crown Land near and around Calgary

I know about Waiporous. I am looking for a place to shoot my non-restricted rifle. There is a lot of land to the east that is barren and not in use. Is any of that crown land?

If anyone has any info, finndragon is not the only one who would like to know...

I am probably going to radium this weekend...everything else is closed or doesn't accept centre fire rifles...

I too am looking for a nice place away from our crowded Sybil Creek range!

I called the Alberta commission of renewable resources Or whatever they call them selves, and got the run around on this issue, It's sad that there is no info online for finding crown land! Or its so hard to come across any! I heard that You can get maps at canadian tire about crown land and hunting area's but I wouldn't want to go to an area and Get charged with Poaching.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If you go south of Black Diamond you get to the Porcupine hills which is crown land. Also west of Longveiw and then south on the Forestry trunk road will get you to lots of open Crown land. You will find a big gravel pit down that way and just off the road in places is a few open clearings with hills to the west of them.

You can't fire a restricted firearm on crown land right? Is the indoor ranges the only place you can? Thanks.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtStache View Post
    You can't fire a restricted firearm on crown land right? Is the indoor ranges the only place you can? Thanks.
    To my knowledge, you need an ATT before taking a restricted firearm anywhere. I would find it difficult to acquire an authorization for this purpose, as crown land would be quite the ambiguous destination point.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    Specifically you are supposed to be on the way to and from a range to its storage. If a cop finds you *shooting* your restricted firearm anywhere else it is not being transported, it is "in use" and you are breaking the law. When you apply for the ATT you are asked to specify which range you are a member of. This is because aside from storing the firearm as a collector, the only purpose for a restricted firearm (besides if it is your job as law enforcement) is target shooting at a recognized range.

But don't take my word for it, you can interpret for yourself. See below:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...ge-6.html#h-11

and there is no specification that it has to be an indoor range. A restricted firearm can also be an AR rifle. So shoot it at an outdoor range that allows ARs and black rifles.

The reason why people seek AR-type rifles that have been classified as non-restricted is so they CAN take these firearms up to the bush (and possibly hunting). The legit ARs that are classified restricted they have to leave at home.
    Last edited by Silveragent; 10-17-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

Thanks for the info! I would rather shoot outdoors than an indoor range.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MrSchultz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtStache View Post
    Thanks for the info! I would rather shoot outdoors than an indoor range.
    it's a shame that the outdoor range near OLDS was shut down I'm also looking for crown land, hard to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast