$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unique Alpine TPG-3A1 (FN Ballista)

Sponsoring Business Shooting Centre's Avatar
    They are nitrided.
    Calgary Shooting Centre
    www.theshootingcentre.com

Are these still available? I really like the MRAD but this is getting more of my attention. Also are the barrel/bolt conversions out yet? These are a bit heavier than the MRAD I believe also?
    Gun locker is getting full, with many more on the wanted list now... Going to need a bigger locker.

Can't save the world? Then prepare for it's end.

Man, I still don't understand how something like that is worth over 8 grand. Really? $360 for a paint job? It is super cool but not $9350 cool. I would pay maybe 3K TOPS.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet dizzy's Avatar
    they do shoot tiny groups, very tiny groups, very very tiny groups. did I mention they shoot tiny groups? these are an impressive rifle to say the least. and like TRG's are not particularly fussy about ammo. Price is high but anything comparable is high too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Man, I still don't understand how something like that is worth over 8 grand. Really? $360 for a paint job? It is super cool but not $9350 cool. I would pay maybe 3K TOPS.
    You aren't their target market apparently. A proper scope for this rifle would be nearly 2/3 of what you are willing to pay for the rifle itself.

Even a TRG 42 which is by no means new is running you around 3.5K. And for this rifle, it's a pretty expensive process to allow reasonable fast barrel/caliber switching while still maintaining unholy accuracy, like any precision piece of gear every tiny by of improvement is exponentially more expensive.

Wish it was less expensive but I guess when they have to meet these requirements:

"-The system shall be chambered to safely fire factory produced "non-wildcat" Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturing Institute (SAAMI) or Commercial European standard (CIP) ammunition.
    -The action can be either manually or gas operated and available in left and right hand versions.
    -With primary day optic and ammunition the system shall provide 1.0 MOA from 300 to 1500 meters (in 300 meter increments) when fired from the shoulder or an accuracy fixture in nominal conditions.
    -This is further defined as 1 MOA Extreme Vertical Spread for all shots in a 10 round group at the stated distances.
    -Mean Rounds Between Failures (MRBF) shall be 1000 rounds.
    -The system shall have an overall length no greater than 52" in full configuration / extended excluding suppressor with a single component no greater in length than 40".
    -The system shall weigh no more than 18 lbs with a 12:00 MilStd 1913 rail and a loaded magazine with 5 rounds.
    -The system shall be capable of operator breakdown into major components in less than two minutes.
    -The system will assemble from the major component breakdown in less than two minutes by the operator.
    -The system will assemble from breakdown with no change in weapon zero.
    -The system will have an integral MilStd 1913 rail at the 12:00 position, the rail will be capable of maintaining bore sight alignment and weapon zero while conducting routine firing combined with combat movement and operational training drills."

From wikipedia for the PSR competition.

I have been seriously considering both this rifle and the Barrett MRAD. I wish I could find the results of the PSR Trials but the FN I believe will have the other chambers/bolt/barrel out long before the MRAD ever will. Thus why I am thinking more about it.

As for the optic S&B PMII is all I would want on either rifle and in Canada the optic to actually be able to use the rifle effectively is $4-5K with mounts. Then add a quality bi-pod and monopod and you have a rifle for life for all needs short-long precision and any game on the planet you can shoot. JMHO.
    Gun locker is getting full, with many more on the wanted list now... Going to need a bigger locker.

Can't save the world? Then prepare for it's end.

Im not a cheapass when it comes to quality firearms by any means, but 8K? Really? For a bolt action rifle in a a common caliber?

Tiny groups? There is no way it will shoot better groups than a custom rig for 1/3 the price.
    Not fussy about ammo? What exactly does that mean? How many ammo-related FTE/FTF's do modern bolt actions have? I've never experienced a single one in my lifetime.
    Quick caliber change is a neat feature, but most users would rather get 2 different rifles if they need a rifle like this in 2 calibers.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet dizzy's Avatar
    Very few rifles can shoot a wide variety of different brand of ammo consistently in different weather conditions. This rifle can and when mm's matter price isn't a big issue. To say it doesn't shoot better than rifles 1/3 the price is really saying you have never seen what these can do. There is a reason they cost so much and it sure isn't looks.

wow I'd love to have one at the very least to say "Ballista!" in a boastful manner

"oh thats a cool Savage 110, I got a Mother*****n Ballista!"

I'm a slave to marketing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast