$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beretta CX4 Storm - Conversion to Non Restricted

CGN Regular
    would it be possible to purchase an already-converted storm from you?

Sponsoring Business Shooting Centre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BL89 View Post
    would it be possible to purchase an already-converted storm from you?
    Yes, but the change in classification can take months.
    Calgary Shooting Centre
    www.theshootingcentre.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Centre View Post
    Sending in the rifle and letting you guys re barrel it and reclassify it will take months too tho?
    What?

I have no life
    This confused me.

Say I have a CX4 - R.
    I get it converted to NR, and it's sent back to me.

The RCMP still has record of my CX4 as a restricted, right? So, do I then have to apply to them to take it off their Restricted database and "destroy" the record? What information / documentation do I have to provide the RCMP?
    Olivia Chow: There is no reason for someone who lives in the city to own a gun.
    John Tory: Criminals and gang members donít obey the law. A handgun ban isnít leadership. Itís an empty gesture.Ē

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet FLHTCUI's Avatar
    There is no affect on magazines.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiWaWa View Post
    Another question I have about this R to NR conversion is do they modify the mags to hold 5 rounds only since its a semi or does it still pass as handgun 9mm ammo with the stock 9mm rounds in Canada?
    There are no modifications done to the magazines.
    The 9mm CX Storm will accept the 92F magazines 10 rounds max.
    But, and a Big But worth mentioning is you can not have or use the magazine that came with the Storm the one that says CX Storm on it.
    That magazine alone will render the converted Storm Restricted still and get a non R PAL holder in hot water.
    I am not sure actually I have no idea if the Storm still comes with that magazine from the factory(embossed with CX Storm)
    They are fun to shoot, some dont like the plastic stock and others love the fit, function and ergonomics regardless of the material.
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    Last edited by FLHTCUI; 02-04-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Correction of typo .
    RIP Infantryman Terry J Street, 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Shilo, Man.
    End of Tour, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan
    RIP Constable Jimmy Ng,Royal Canadian Mounted Police. End of Watch: Sunday, September 15, 2002

"When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine"

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet G37's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJspeller View Post
    The RCMP still has record of my CX4 as a restricted, right?
    They shouldn't. It'd be bad if they did, not an impossible scenario though.
    The important thing is you will be able to sell it as a non-restricted and treat it as a non-restricted afterwards.

I also like to think that if they ever did confront you on a specific Non-Restricted firearm in the future, they'd have inadvertently admitted that they kept the information on file when should not have.

IMHO you don't have anything to worry about.

Oh yeah, and a big +1 on Beretta making Non-Restricted versions for the CDN marketplace. I'd buy one in each caliber!
    The CX4 is very nice having owned three.

Cheers~
    National Firearms Association Member

Do you still have some barrels in stock?

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet haha49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    There are no modifications done to the magazines.
    The 9mm CX Storm will accept the 92F magazines 10 rounds max.
    But, and a Big But worth mentioning is you can not have or use the magazine that came with the Storm the one that says CZ Storm on it.
    That magazine alone will render the converted Storm Restricted still and get a non R PAL holder in hot water.
    I am not sure actually I have no idea if the Storm still comes with that magazine from the factory(embossed with CX Storm)
    They are fun to shoot, some dont like the plastic stock and others love the fit, function and ergonomics regardless of the material.
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    NO..

THe mAGAZINE HAS NO bearing on the classification of the firearm.

If you have a CX storm magazine it has to be pinned to 5 rounds since it's a rifle magazine ie prohibited if it's not doesn't matter what class you have unless you have prohibited devices on the back which people don't.

Now if it's a pistol magazine then it's 10 rounds you don't need any pal at all to own magazine and firearm parts it comes down to the firearm it self.

How it works to convert a firearm.

You send it into a person that can do it they verify the firearm has been changed ie longer barrel you have 30 days to report the change of a firearm so they send it in. You then wait and they send you a non restricted cert (old way) now it just goes poof.

Now I had them change my Berretta CX 4 storm from non restricted to restricted I found out when I spoke to them so they changed it back I said well I don't got it anymore and I have a non restricted cert to prove it was converted a year before the registry went poof I didn't have the original barrel so I couldn't change it back no point... So anyone with a non restricted version you might want to check with the CFO to see if it was changed back. They said they must want to keep track of thouse firearms. I replied if I didn't change the class back how did you change it then when it's in the wrong classfication.
    Last edited by haha49; 02-03-2013 at 05:07 PM.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    NO..

THe mAGAZINE HAS NO bearing on the classification of the firearm.

If you have a CX storm magazine it has to be pinned to 5 rounds since it's a rifle magazine ie prohibited if it's not doesn't matter what class you have unless you have prohibited devices on the back which people don't.

Now if it's a pistol magazine then it's 10 rounds you don't need any pal at all to own magazine and firearm parts it comes down to the firearm it self.

Ummm, haha49 I was speaking about the magazine that is embossed with CX Storm as it comes from or came from the factory.
    From the RCMP web site , Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity Special Bulletin for Businesses No. 72:

3) Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle other than a semiautomatic or automatic rifle, do not have a regulated capacity. Magazines that are designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles are subject to the semiautomatic rifle limit of five cartridges.

4)4. Magazines designed for one firearm but used in a different firearm

The maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the kind of firearm it is designed or manufactured for use in and not the kind of firearm it might actually be used in. As a consequence, the maximum permitted capacity remains the same regardless of which firearm it might be used in.

My point was and still is that magazines that are designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles are subject to the semiautomatic rifle limit of five cartridges.
    Clear as mud ? Yup, you bet so to suggest that the conversion is easy peasy , simple as one two three is a little bit of a stretch.
    There are several things that have to happen before the conversion is completed legally.

I am still looking for a site sponsor who went to bat and set some legal precedence that allows gun owners the ability to have and use Pistol magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle other than a semiautomatic or automatic rifle, do not have the regulated capacity.
    There is 8 pages of good stuff , but a bit dry in reading kinda like my rambling here, but it is and does make it easier to own and explain the rules when it comes to using a magazine designed for one firearm but used in a different firearm.

Again, the magazines are the Big Difference for the CX Storm. You know the one that designed for the Storm that is embossed
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    RIP Infantryman Terry J Street, 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Shilo, Man.
    End of Tour, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan
    RIP Constable Jimmy Ng,Royal Canadian Mounted Police. End of Watch: Sunday, September 15, 2002

"When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine"

I have no life
    Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post

Now I had them change my Berretta CX 4 storm from non restricted to restricted I found out when I spoke to them so they changed it back I said well I don't got it anymore and I have a non restricted cert to prove it was converted a year before the registry went poof I didn't have the original barrel so I couldn't change it back no point... So anyone with a non restricted version you might want to check with the CFO to see if it was changed back. They said they must want to keep track of thouse firearms. I replied if I didn't change the class back how did you change it then when it's in the wrong classfication.

Appreciate the information, but I am not really sure what you are saying here. Can you clarify?

Are you saying that if you have an NR CX4 you should contact the CFC (not the provincial CFO, I think) to see what kind of record they have on your rifle?
    Olivia Chow: There is no reason for someone who lives in the city to own a gun.
    John Tory: Criminals and gang members donít obey the law. A handgun ban isnít leadership. Itís an empty gesture.Ē

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast