Thread: Gunsmith

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sinasta's Avatar

Gunsmith

I took my M&P to have a 10-8 rear sight installed a few months ago. I now need to remove the rear sight to install at Apex Tactical kit. The sight screw appears to be cracked at two corners. As such the 2mm allen key will not have enough bite as the cracked corners give in.

Does your gunsmith warranty his work?

Try using a torx bit, it will have more bite and if you give it a tap or two as you put it in and as you try to tutnr it it should work quite well!

Scott
    "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sinasta's Avatar
    Yeah I tried a torx bit already. No dice.

try a standard allen, hit it with a punch to loosen the screw, epoxy the tightest fitting allen wrench into the screw and carefully unscrew it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jwirecom109's Avatar
    I would suggest calling them instead of posting if your looking for a quick response, ask for JR the owner if you want a really quick response as JR is really great i making his customers happy
    The Only good Zombie is a dead zombie. Unless that zombie is in a room full of liberal pigs, enjoy your gun control. - Jwirecom109 (ME!)
    A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.” - Ayn Rand

Offical The Shooting Edge Rep.
    I'd suggest bringing the gun in; Sounds like an unusual problem, a set screw will normally strip the bearing surfaces before it ever cracks the screw itself...

Stefan is a wonderful gunsmith. He has worked on many of my guns, and those of my family.
    Nothing in life is perfect - just have a little patience and be glad that no one is posting about your own professional inconsistencies