Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi auto belt fed rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkdevCanada View Post
    I bought the parts as a kit for $350 from a guy who brought it in from the US. I guess he gave up and just wanted his money back. It’s been a while since I've priced out a kit, but I bet they are still under $500. You will also need rivets and a sideplate. I purchased an 80% sideplate Ohio Rapid Fire for about another $120.00. I should have machined it myself caused it would have been cheaper and better quality. The ORF plate sucked! Rivets were something like another $30.00. In all cost was about $500, not including the accessories like tripod, belt loader etc.

One thing to be a where of, I gather the rules or a least the interpretation of the rules in the US have changed. You will now be unlikely to find 80% sideplates. Many vendors stopped selling them and the few available are now only 70% done, which require more machining.

In theory you could finish the sideplate with a drill press and a dermal tool, but I’d be willing to bet the quality would suck. The long and short of it is you or someone will need access and the skill to use a milling machine. Not all gun smiths can machine very well, a better bet would be to bring the parts one at a time to a machinist, and have him do it. Of course you will need a gun friendly machinist. I was fortunate, in that at the time I worked at a Hi-tech company who allowed me to use the machine shop. If they only knew what I had been making.  Unfortunately I’ve moved onto another company and no longer have access to a mill. 

You can check out http://www.1919a4.com/ for current information. Warning, the site used to be a real good source of info of semi 1919A4, but has become more political.

Registering was not a big deal, it just took forever. I called the RCMP's CFC to register the sideplate once everything but the holes where drilled. In other words, the outline, the groves, the S/N and denial island were all machined, and easily visible in a photo. That way as the plate was not completed; they would not be able to charge me with having an unregistered firearm. I don’t think that step was really needed, but when dealing with the CFC, I wanted to be very cautious. Once I had it the registered, I drilled the holes and revited the sideplate to finished the 1919a4.

One last thing, when I called the CFC I was careful NOT to mention the word “machine gun”. I simply mention a “semi auto 1919A4 based on the same deigned as the CFC approved 1919a4 already for sale in Canada by Marstar and others”. That phase was design to put the clerks at ease and to have them pass me on to the technical branch of the CFC, which would know the difference between a real machine gun and a semi-auto that just looked like one. The last thing you need is for the clerk to get the idea that you’re trying to pull a fast one and are making a machine gun, cause sure as hell that would complicate thing.

Anyway I hope that helps, good luck
    Mark
    Thanks, that will be a help if I get the whole make up of the gun figured out. I hope I can export parts from the U.S, if its just a semi auto then its not a machine gun, thus the parts should be allowed out with the right permits. But it sure would be nice to just get a complete gun, so much simpler.
    Rumor control! Here are the facts:
    -Disarming inocent people,
    doesn't protect inocent people.

-Criminals cannot be disarmed.

you wont be getting any parts for the m1919 out of the states legally. Even though you want to build a semi auto gun they are still considered machine gun parts. If Marstar cant get the guns and/or parts out of the USA you wont be able to.

The m1919's are finickly little b*stards but work great if you have them all tuned up correctly and lubed. Mine was causing me alot of grief due to a bolt constantly coming loose (the bolt couldnt be torqued due to the guns design had to be staked in place hand tight) until I had it tack welded. Also had the sear spring break causing it to slamfire full auto (very unsafe). Also broke a piece off the original bolt and had to get a new full auto bolt machined to semi auto. You need to know exactly how the gun works and if you are going to own and shoot one
    Last edited by gutinater; 09-07-2011 at 08:53 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gutinater View Post
    you wont be getting any parts for the m1919 out of the states legally. Even though you want to build a semi auto gun they are still considered machine gun parts. If Marstar cant get the guns and/or parts out of the USA you wont be able to.

And the guy that said he built one from a parts kit & a 80% receiver only mentioned machining the 80% receiver to fit . If the bolt , barrel extension & trigger group are original size he actually has a 1919 A4 12.3 CA prohib incorrectly registered as non restricted . The Canadian approved TNW semi's have a thicker side plate & the internal parts I mentioned are original 1919 parts machined down to fit the thicker receiver and have a semi only trigger . Original unaltered 1919 parts will not fit in a semi 1919
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

CGN Regular
    Actually a converted auto is a machine gun converted to semi and of course that would be illegal. The way around this is to make a NEW recevier. As long as the receiver was deisgned and built to be semi auto from the start, its NOT a converted auto and is perfectly legal. But yes the 1919 bolt has to be modified to semi, then it and the barrel ext etc have to be slimmed down. That parts pretty simple.
    Last edited by MarkdevCanada; 09-10-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Well that is pretty much what I just said . If you made a new receiver and use original internals with the exception of the full auto parts you are making a prohibited firearm . But since you added that you modified the internals like the TNW then you made a home built copy of a accepted & approved semi auto non restricted firearm :D
    Of course this is a mute subject as parts are no longer availible to us from the US
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Quote Originally Posted by gutinater View Post
    The m1919's are finickly little bastards but work great if you have them all tuned up correctly and lubed. Mine was causing me alot of grief due to a bolt constantly coming loose (the bolt couldnt be torqued due to the guns design had to be staked in place hand tight) until I had it tack welded. Also had the sear spring break causing it to slamfire full auto (very unsafe). Also broke a piece off the original bolt and had to get a new full auto bolt machined to semi auto. You need to know exactly how the gun works and if you are going to own and shoot one
    Thats good to know, I have little problem working with firearm internals, it just helps to get them in a completed set then take it aprart to learn the mechanics. Thoug i can do it the other way around aswell, but it understandably takes a bit longer.

Its dissapointing that the U.S is being dicks about exporting firearms parts, I will never understand how anti-gun supporters think, its just rock bottom stupid on a large expencive scale. It pritty much makes my plans impossable. I might as well just machine out my own belt fed semi auto, it sounds like thats about the only way to do it these days.
    Rumor control! Here are the facts:
    -Disarming inocent people,
    doesn't protect inocent people.

-Criminals cannot be disarmed.

I am waiting for john to give me a price on his semi mg42.
    JUST SHUT UP AND DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by toomanymachines View Post
    I am waiting for john to give me a price on his semi mg42.
    Good luck with that one !

CGN Regular

semi beltfed

Get a semi 1919a4 ,or Mg cool for a couple days Personal defence or firepower---not really Some you can have 100 cartridges up to as many as you want depending on belt etc on belt and some models 5 on belt ---best is a handgun - you normally have 10 shots If this is not enough - Better practise-- obtain more clips easy to change.Note you can not get real fast firepower on semi browning or similiar because they are made for aquite a long interval between shots-- this varies If 10 shots not enough you are in trouble. If you like the noise a handgunis very similiar. A semi- beltfed will not duplicate the noise and sound or roar of a full auto---

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast