Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M305 & SKS deal....

Expired Business
    J MAN;
    "Can you confirm if the chamber is chromed as well? YES

I'm assuming the firing pin is free floating and will need to be upgraded. " why "up garde"

John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    There isn't any reason to 'upgrade' the firing pin.
    Ask any one on here, the stock 'free floating' firing pin works, and is safe.
    Unless money is burning a hole in your pocket, but in that case I suggest a second sks, not a upgraded firing pin.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Sorry to barge in on you, guys... as for the chromed chamber ...are you talking about the M305 or SKS?

And can somebody post pictures of SKS's bought from marstar?

thanks

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    J MAN;
    "Can you confirm if the chamber is chromed as well? YES

I'm assuming the firing pin is free floating and will need to be upgraded. " why "up garde"

John
    I've heard that the free floating firing pin can cause slam fires, and that it's a good idea to replace it with the spring firing pin. They run for $37 with shipping to Canada from here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
    I just thought for $37 it would be a little safer. I'm also thinking to replace the original springs with the Wolf spring kit to improve the trigger pull on it a little bit too. Any thought's on the Wolf spring kits?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by geo71209 View Post
    Sorry to barge in on you, guys... as for the chromed chamber ...are you talking about the M305 or SKS?

And can somebody post pictures of SKS's bought from marstar?

thanks
    I was asking about the SKS's. I would think the M305 would have the chamber and bore chromed as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I've never seen an sks slam fire. Clean the firing pin channel and it won't.
    Just trying to save you some money.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

CGN Regular
    Yah, I guess it's probably not a big concern if you keep it clean. For $75, you can sure buy a lot of Simple Green.

Does anyone have any pics or info on Marstar's new shipment of M305's? What's the headspace like? Is it stamped .308WIN or 7.62mm x 51mm? Are they screened for obvious flaws before shipment like poorly indexed barrels and the like?

I don't really mail order too much. I usually try to walk-in so I know what I'm getting, but this is a deal you don't come across too often. If anybody has purchased the M305 from the new shipment and could chime in on quality, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    "J" man

I think when John puts these deals out there he should throw in a free safe to give us a little extra room to take advantage of it properly.

Hey Jman
    I bought one. I love it, I am extreamly picky about quality and for the price it is worth the money. I had originaly bought a poly tech M14 from an differnt online supplier(I wont say who unless asked) and found there to be scratches on the reciever and barrel. I had to speak to three difernt people before I was told that it was common with "chinese guns". Anyways after much arguments and pictures and frustration i was out shipping but they took it back. Marstar has a great warranty and they will cover shipping if there is something wrong with it. Oh yeah af for head space I am not sure. But it is stamped .308 and works like a dream I wish I had more. I am going to get the sks just because it's 75 bucks! but I am not familiar with these types of rifles. but I figure it will be fun to learn abit about it.
    I apologize for the long reply.
    Last edited by valencjo; 09-23-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: cannot spell

Expired Business
    LONE WOLF;
    You are 10000% right.
    Lets face the SKS was designed to use military ammunition, the primers are a little harder than their commercial counterpart....
    The military was not concerned about reloads....

The SKS will slam fire if, as you note, the firing pin channel is full of hardened grease or if one uses relaods with very soft primers like Remington....

Slam firing can happen with almost any SA firearm due to dirt, grease, or part damage

John

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast