Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: M305 & SKS deal....

disregard saw this in another thread.. Now I feel stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by "J" man View Post
    I've heard that the free floating firing pin can cause slam fires, and that it's a good idea to replace it with the spring firing pin. They run for $37 with shipping to Canada from here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
    I just thought for $37 it would be a little safer. I'm also thinking to replace the original springs with the Wolf spring kit to improve the trigger pull on it a little bit too. Any thought's on the Wolf spring kits?
    From what I've read and heard from others at the range, the Murray's firing pin is ONLY for use with the expensive, non-corrosive ammo, not the military surplus ammo (as far as I'm concerned the SKS was designed to fire military surplus anyways). A gentleman at the range a while back had the Murrays firing pin and he showed me how it mushroomed on the end after only a couple hundred rounds. Seems the so called "upgraded" firing pin is too soft for the milsurp primers.

If one cleans their SKS after every trip to the range, slam fires will never happen. That includes disassembling the bolt COMPLETELY, cleaning the firing pin and channel until it looks brand new. Its really not hard to do with some good cleaner and a few q-tips. Also the more you do it, the better you'll be at doing it. After all, the word corrosive=rust. Why would one want rust/pitting on such a beautiful piece of history? These rifles will literally last a lifetime if taken care of.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567