Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: GSh-18 Ugly and lovely as it is

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TDC View Post
    Another Glock look alike wanna be. Interesting nonetheless.

TDC
    Yeah, this time its a look alike which shares virtually no aesthetic features of the Glock pistols, wow, what an age we live in when someone can make something entirely different looking whilst still making a "look alike wanna be"

Too each his own, but, seriously? other than a polymer frame (which in this case doesn't look like a Glock frame) how does this thing look like a Glock?

Scribe
    You can't stop here. This is bat country.
    Quote Originally Posted by IM_Lugger View Post
    Yes I was serious, again I've never heard of any owners complaning. but this is not a thread for PX4 so I'll just leave it at that.
    Ask yourself this...what agency just adopted the PX4, and exactly how many QC and reliability problems does it take to make it worth starting a whole new competition process? Because the people who were responsible for the training on that platform found it so unreliable they wanted it scrapped.

They don't run, bottom line. Or rather, they run for a bit, then lock up so hard that they can't be cleared without a hammer. Literally.

That is not to say that nobody can EVER make a rotating barrel design work. Maybe this gun is going to be great. But generally speaking, most rotating barrel handguns have had issues. The K100 may be an exception but they've never really made it in to the mainstream so it's difficult to say...I can't think of any large scale testing of the K100 that has ever been done but that doesn't mean it's never happened. I have never heard of it, though.

The PX4, on the other hand, has been tested. It doesn't work.
    Owning is easy; it's doing that's hard. Remember that advice on the internet often comes from people who own things...but are not especially skilled in their use.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Yeah, this time its a look alike which shares virtually no aesthetic features of the Glock pistols, wow, what an age we live in when someone can make something entirely different looking whilst still making a "look alike wanna be"

Too each his own, but, seriously? other than a polymer frame (which in this case doesn't look like a Glock frame) how does this thing look like a Glock?
    Lets see,

Polymer frame
    Low bore axis
    Squarish slide style
    Trigger mounted safety
    Striker fired

Yeah, you're right. Nothing remotely Glock like there. I guess the absence of the light rail makes it a completely different animal. For the record, the rotating barrel action is a failure as is the absence of the light rail.

TDC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer IM_Lugger's Avatar
    Polymer frame
    Low bore axis
    Squarish slide style
    Trigger mounted safety
    Striker fired
    lol and glock has a barrel, trigger, sights, slide release. Clearly they are copying a 1911 :D

Those features became generic in hangun design long time ago.
    Original Combat Exorcist

"I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmattockx View Post
    I'd own one of those, no uglier than a Glock. How do you define "not cheap"?

Mark
    Some where between a Glock ad a Hi-Point.

I like the look of Glocks, I think they look much better than many other pistols on the market.

I have to call BS on the Px4 being junk. Beretta has been making guns with rotating barrel for about 20 years now, and Px4 is just an updated Cougar. Again I've never heard about any issues with them. Are you refering to CBSA? Do you work for them? how many rounds have you put thru the Px4? If they were that bad how did they ever passed the required tests? Every company makes a lemon once in a while but I dont believe that makes a entire line crap.
    Original Combat Exorcist

"I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come"

Scribe
    You can't stop here. This is bat country.
    Call it as you like, no skin off my back. I can't speak to what you have or haven't heard about the Cougar or the PX4, only what their known issues are.

I definitely do not work for CBSA.

I have not shot a PX4 very much...the only thing that was immediately apparent when I shot it was the poor trigger. It did not lock up in the few dozen rounds I put through it.

But I can tell you this: they frequently lock up and you will not get one apart without a hammer. You're free to think that I'm making this up, of course...again not something that is likely to generate issues for me. But I am not sure what I would stand to gain from saying something which is now well known in shooting circles.

I would recommend, rather than saying, "I haven't heard of this, so it is therefore BS" that a good approach would be to research the gun itself - and by "research the gun" I don't mean "go to THR and read twenty guys who say, 'I have one, it's great'".

Consider what high-volume shooters are saying, and what people immersed in the high-volume shooting world are saying. You notice issues a lot faster if your idea of "had this gun for a year" is "shot forty thousand rounds through this gun".
    Owning is easy; it's doing that's hard. Remember that advice on the internet often comes from people who own things...but are not especially skilled in their use.

I'll definately look into them more, thats why I was asking what agency you're refering to. I'm no newb to hanguns and awear of most issues when it comes to handguns and simply never heard of these problems.
    Original Combat Exorcist

Supporting Dealer
    Thanks for hijacking the thread

GSh-18 issued to Russian special forces... I haven't heard any bad stories about the gun. One of the most discussed features of the GSh-18 is a slide that is open at the front. Critics said that the dirt will easily go into the slide interior via this opening and pistol reliability will be decreased at least. Designers said that it is OK and dirt will not pass deep into the gun interior. Probably designers have all the reasons to say so, because GSh-18 successfully passed rigorous military trials. GSh-18 can fire any commercial or military 9mm Luger/Parabellum and 9mm NATO ammunition, plus Russian armour-piercing, high-power (roughly equivalent to 9mm +P+ or even hotter) ammunition, 9mm 7N21 and 9mm PBP. GSh-18 is reported as accurate and comfortable to fire, and very light for its class.