Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomahawk Pump Shotgun (PA 2210)

Tomahawk Pump Shotgun (PA 2210)

Hi there all you Marstar fans

Anyone have any experience with the Tomahawk line of pump shotguns? I have a PA 2210 (that's the nickel plated 20 in barrel job) bought about a year ago. I like the gun, it was a good price, it's fun to shoot and functions well (the action is a touch sticky but then again it has only had a couple of dozen shells through it), but it is a serious PITA to reassemble after cleaning.

Last time (about 6 months ago) I got it so jammed I had to send it back to Frank at Marstar to fix - he told me on the phone there was an issue with the action release bar and that it had been repaired. He fixed it for free and mailed it back.

Yesterday after blasting the s*** out of some cardboard targets on my buddy's farm (at 40 yards we got virtually identical patterns and he was shooting his $2000 28 in Benelli with improved cylinder choke) I took it home, got the manual out, poured a drink and settled in to clean it.

It came apart like S*** through a goose, very nice. "Thanks Frank", I thought "you really did get it sorted". Anyway, perhaps I spoke too soon, because after cleaning it thoroughly, I simply could not get it back together and functioning. Eventually I did persuade it to reassemble but it was a real struggle. I was mindful of the instruction not to force anything and it took a lot of wiggling and jiggling to get the forend and bolt and the barrel to slide together. The last 1/4 inch to seat the barrel took quite a steady push. The barrel is now fully seated, the action is open and the bolt is at the rear, it all looks just fine but the action will not cycle forward. I have pulled it apart and put it back together three times and once it is assembled the damn thing is frozen solid.

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I will be calling Frank at Marstar tomorrow - in the meantime, any help here? I do NOT want to have to send the damn gun back to the dealer every time I have to clean it.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Are these 870 knockoffs as well?

Because I had the same issue with my Dominion Arms grizzly. Taking it apart was a joke but getting it together was a real rash. If the action is not cycling forward there is a problem with the action bars most likely. This has become pretty common not only with knockoffs but with real deal 870's over the past few years. Be patient with her, run a couple hundred rounds through it vigorously and get it beat up/worked in.
    You've been in a coma for 6 years. If you can read this, we're trying to get through to you. Please... wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by cuto85 View Post
    Are these 870 knockoffs as well?

Because I had the same issue with my Dominion Arms grizzly. Taking it apart was a joke but getting it together was a real rash. If the action is not cycling forward there is a problem with the action bars most likely. This has become pretty common not only with knockoffs but with real deal 870's over the past few years. Be patient with her, run a couple hundred rounds through it vigorously and get it beat up/worked in.
    Thanks cuto. I am not sure if it's an 870 knockoff or not - here's the link to it on the Marstar site

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-Turkish-SG/PA-2210.shtm

I've never had a close look at an 870. The 2210 is seriously giving me fits just now.

More details

Here's what the problem looks like

Dissasembled

Part assembled (this is where you need to push the action bar buttion and wiggle the hell out of the barrel and forend)

At that point - it suddenly slides almost all the way into the receiver - only another 1/4 inch or so to go

which 1/4 inch requires steady pressure to seat

Whereupon the damn thing is totally frozen - I can pull it apart again but that's it.

Here is the parts diagram if that helps and the parts list - maybe this'll help someone help me figure it out

Thanks!!

Maybe this will help Frank from Marstar help me figure it out Monday - or perhaps John if he's online

Cheers all

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    What makes you think you have to clean it so much. I can see after a whole season of hunting but after a few rounds why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Raton57 View Post
    What makes you think you have to clean it so much. I can see after a whole season of hunting but after a few rounds why bother.
    Raton

Maybe you are right, but I was taught to always clean my firearms after shooting and that dates back to nearly 50 years ago, whether one of my old man's .22s or a Bren Gun in the militia (and yes I know the difference between commercial primers and corrosive).

Plus what use is a weapon you cannot strip apart and put back together again? Part of the reason for doing so was to see if the problem had been fixed after the first time.

Cheers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fat tony's Avatar
    a forward observation post in the L-F-H horizon, or Nova Scotia
    Nice looking shotgun thats for sure. It seems the tolerances between the receiver and barrel knoxform are very tight. I hope the problem gets worked out though.

Thanks Tony

It is a nice gun although giving me conniption fits just now. Barrel and receiver tolerances are okay - where it is binding is at the top of the breech bolt and the top end of the barrel extension at the cap pin. After a whole bunch of reps and a bit of gun grease it now comes apart and goes back together quite readily, but the SOB still will not cycle.

I thought there might be a issue with the carrier as it was not pushing up at the end of the assembly - I carefully took it slowly and made sure the carrier engaged and pushed up - still NFG.

When I leaned hard on the forend the breech closed about 80 % - did not close completely and the locking lug did not engage. Something is still not right.

I'll take my drink back to the lab (to see what's on the slab) and bugger around some more.

I am sure Marstar will help in the morning.

If not I will start sending PM's to John and perhaps see if he is willing to exchange my $350 Tomahawk for a Barrett 50 (the aggravation has been huge).

I still like the gun, just need to get it sorted. Mind you, Cabelas has a Mossberg 500 with two barrels (18 in cylinder and ribbed 28 bird barrel) for $279. Hard to beat.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fat tony's Avatar
    a forward observation post in the L-F-H horizon, or Nova Scotia
    Sounds like something is binding as you have discovered. I bought a bolt action shotgun off the ee a while back (Stevens 58D), which is of course a completely different action type. It would cycle and the firing pin would drop, but not with enough french to set the primer off. I got into a weird state of mind trying to figure it all out until it dawned on me that the sides of the sear cutout were gripping the sides of the actual sear enough to slow down the fall of the sear when the trigger was pulled. All I had to do was do some drawfiling on the receiver and it was sorted. I would suggest taking a hard look at places where the trigger/disconnector parts may be binding. Best regards, Tony

Edit: locking lug not engaging - that might point you in a certain direction.

Only one thing to do with a problem like this - go play golf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast