Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg MVP

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontrunner View Post
    Go to jail? it's good to see em cracking down than because I witnessed two guys get busted up Sylvester last year with unpinned mags and all that happend was their two mags being taken away...

I am in no way trying to justify doing this as I follow every law, but to say jail time will result from it is a bit much
    So they got lucky and lost their mags without losing their freedom - the law (and I haven't actually checked) has penalties for possession of magazines that are prohib capacity - the LEO in question probably didn't want to file charges and put away people for such a stupid law, but another LEO with a different attitude about guns/gun owners might have done the whole nine yards...
    W

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Major Sights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Zanni View Post
    All mags will have to be pinned at 5. The only exception being the LAR15 mags which are 10.
    All SEMI AUTO mags need to be pinned to 5 rounds. Bolt action guns that do not share mags with semi autos may have 10 rounds, hell they can have 30 rounds.

A few Examples:
    ALL lee Enfields
    Remington 700 ACIS mags
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308 Win

But seeing as how this one DOES use a mag in common with a semi, then yes, you are limited to the 5 round rifle mags or the 10 round Pistol mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Sights View Post
    All SEMI AUTO mags need to be pinned to 5 rounds. Bolt action guns that do not share mags with semi autos may have 10 rounds, hell they can have 30 rounds.

A few Examples:
    ALL lee Enfields
    Remington 700 ACIS mags
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308 Win

But seeing as how this one DOES use a mag in common with a semi, then yes, you are limited to the 5 round rifle mags or the 10 round Pistol mags.
    A lot of Canadian firearms law is arbitrary, no doubt, but this is both arbitrary and really illogical. Regarding the fact that mag capacity is limited due to it being a shared mag, is this on the books? Or a grey area?

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesT View Post
    A lot of Canadian firearms law is arbitrary, no doubt, but this is both arbitrary and really illogical. Regarding the fact that mag capacity is limited due to it being a shared mag, is this on the books? Or a grey area?
    Not a grey area, although to some poorly trained and uniformed officers it probably is a grey area to them.

Look up RCMP special bulletin for businesses #72, and go on Questar's website for the LAR-15 Pistol Mag letter.

If you use magazines that happen to exceed the typical capacity of that firearm's magazine (5 for semi auto centrefire rifles, 10 for pistols, unlimited for rimfire rifles, and manually repeating rifles) it would be a really good idea to have some of this documentation on yourself if you need to educate enforcement personnel in the field.

Note I said "typical capacity" of that firearm's magazine. This refers to the capacity of the magazine that is designed and manufactured for that firearm. Designed and manufactured are the key words here. It doesn't matter what firearm it goes into, it matters what it's designed, manufactured and sold for.

Ruger screwed up (understandable) with the BX-25 by saying it was also for the Charger pistol. Instantly makes it a shared rifle/pistol mag, and therefore pinned to the lowest common denominator (pistol, 10 rounds). May as well use a regular 10 round rotary one.

LAR-15 pistol magazines are designed and manufactured for an LAR-15 Pistol, and nothing else, therefore they are 10 rounds max. Slap it in an AR-15 rifle. No problem. Totally legal. Doesn't matter what it HAPPENS to fit and function in.

The problem here is Mossberg identified their rifle as taking AR-15 mags. This immediately means there pretty much is no magazine that's designed specifically for the MVP. So use AR-15 (Semi auto centrefire rifle, pinned to 5), or LAR-15 Pistol (pistol, max 10 rounds) magazines in it. The magazine that comes with it is probably an AR-15 rifle mag, so I'm assuming it's pinned, and should stay that way to be legal.

Remember, firearms don't have a magazine capacity, magazines do. A magazines capacity is limited based on which firearm they're designed, manufactured and marketed for. This is why Butler Creek 25 round 10/22 magazines are legal. Butler Creek never said they were designed for the Charger. They aren't, they're designed for (as per the packaging):

Ruger 10/22
    Ruger 77/22
    & AMT Lightning

All models the Butler Creek 10/22 25 round magazine is designed for are rimfire rifles, and therefore magazine capacity is unlimited. Because Butler Creek says so!

EDIT:

And as far as arbitrary and illogical... so what? What part of C-68 or any other firearm law in this country, and many others, is logical and actually addresses crime?
    Last edited by nullshine; 03-31-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law."
    -Winston Churchill
    “...there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.”
    -Charles Travis Postelwaite

Quote Originally Posted by nullshine View Post
    Not a grey area, although to some poorly trained and uniformed officers it probably is a grey area to them.

Look up RCMP special bulletin for businesses #72, and go on Questar's website for the LAR-15 Pistol Mag letter.

If you use magazines that happen to exceed the typical capacity of that firearm's magazine (5 for semi auto centrefire rifles, 10 for pistols, unlimited for rimfire rifles, and manually repeating rifles) it would be a really good idea to have some of this documentation on yourself if you need to educate enforcement personnel in the field.

Note I said "typical capacity" of that firearm's magazine. This refers to the capacity of the magazine that is designed and manufactured for that firearm. Designed and manufactured are the key words here. It doesn't matter what firearm it goes into, it matters what it's designed, manufactured and sold for.

Ruger screwed up (understandable) with the BX-25 by saying it was also for the Charger pistol. Instantly makes it a shared rifle/pistol mag, and therefore pinned to the lowest common denominator (pistol, 10 rounds). May as well use a regular 10 round rotary one.

LAR-15 pistol magazines are designed and manufactured for an LAR-15 Pistol, and nothing else, therefore they are 10 rounds max. Slap it in an AR-15 rifle. No problem. Totally legal. Doesn't matter what it HAPPENS to fit and function in.

The problem here is Mossberg identified their rifle as taking AR-15 mags. This immediately means there pretty much is no magazine that's designed specifically for the MVP. So use AR-15 (Semi auto centrefire rifle, pinned to 5), or LAR-15 Pistol (pistol, max 10 rounds) magazines in it. The magazine that comes with it is probably an AR-15 rifle mag, so I'm assuming it's pinned, and should stay that way to be legal.

Remember, firearms don't have a magazine capacity, magazines do. A magazines capacity is limited based on which firearm they're designed, manufactured and marketed for. This is why Butler Creek 25 round 10/22 magazines are legal. Butler Creek never said they were designed for the Charger. They aren't, they're designed for (as per the packaging):

Ruger 10/22
    Ruger 77/22
    & AMT Lightning

All models the Butler Creek 10/22 25 round magazine is designed for are rimfire rifles, and therefore magazine capacity is unlimited. Because Butler Creek says so!

EDIT:

And as far as arbitrary and illogical... so what? What part of C-68 or any other firearm law in this country, and many others, is logical and actually addresses crime?
    Good, informative post. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

As for your edit, there's no sense getting into that discussion.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesT View Post
    That sucks. But do you see what I mean when I wonder if this is a grey area?

I'm just thinking of a reverse scenario. Imagine a bolt gun that took proprietary magazines that held 20. This would be perfectly legal just like a pump shotgun can hold more than 5. But then imagine that a semi entered the market that could accept those mags. Would all mags thereafter have to be pinned? I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I'm just wondering. Thanks.
    I understand where your coming from, but this rifle isn't going to change anything magazine wise. I don't like it, but it's how it is (for now anyway). As mentioned, there are other cases of complicated rulings/grey areas. The MVP isn't the first manually operated repeating rifle in the country that takes AR magazines either, like the Remington 7615p.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyn View Post
    I understand where your coming from, but this rifle isn't going to change anything magazine wise. I don't like it, but it's how it is (for now anyway). As mentioned, there are other cases of complicated rulings/grey areas. The MVP isn't the first manually operated repeating rifle in the country that takes AR magazines either, like the Remington 7615p.
    Thanks for your reply, Fyn. It took me a few posts to articulate what I was getting at but you guys have nailed it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Papaclaude's Avatar
    They're selling for $499 U.S., so they'll probably sell for somewhere around that here too, I guess. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one as soon as they are in Canada:D
    It's important to have a good vocabulary. If I had known the difference between the words 'antidote' and 'anecdote,' one of my good friends would still be alive.

When will this rifle be available any updates?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by stefman722 View Post
    When will this rifle be available any updates?
    This!