Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Deal Guidelines for Buyer & Seller - Please Read

Deal Guidelines for Buyer & Seller - Please Read

Most people are pretty good on the EE, but sometimes there's a problem with different expectations between different people.

These are the guidelines I follow and what I expect from the people I deal with:

1. a) send the parcel or money order within 1 business day from when you made the agreement OR
    b) let the other party know before closing the deal that you will be delayed for some reason. DO NOT just assume they will be willing to wait a week while you piss around.

2. a) When you ship a parcel PM the tracking number to the other party on the same day AND
    b) keep the post office reciept with the tracking number in a safe place until you know the package has arrived safely at the destination.

3. If you send a parcel, then stay available for communications until the parcel reaches the destination. It's not really clever planning to take a 3 week holiday the day after you ship a package, BUT IF YOU MUST BE AWAY then let the receiver know about it up front.

4. The person receiving the package or money order will PM the sender when it has arrived.

5. if the other party to your deal is trying to contact you to tell you something is wrong, then ANSWER the PM or email even if you don't have an immediate remedy, so that the other party knows you're not running away and hiding. The other person can see when you were online, so he will know that you read and ignored his questions. It is incredibly annoying to have a package 2 weeks late and know that the person who sent it is reading your PMs but not answering them. Don't be that jerk.

6. If you PM the seller to say "I'll take it", but then change your mind - send a PM and tell him you changed your mind. DON'T just go quiet and hide out hoping he goes away. BETTER YET - make up your mind BEFORE you start making promises you can't keep. It makes you look dumb.

Let the other person know what you are doing. If you are delayed then let the other party know. Send the tracking number without being asked. Keep yourself available and check PMs regularly until the deal is complete in case there is a problem so the other party can contact you. Acknowledge when the package arrives.
    Last edited by jethunter; 03-31-2016 at 11:40 AM.

+1. Good post.
    This should all be common sense.....but we all know how common "common sense" really is.

BANNED
    So basically, just have good comms...thanks

Communication is the key.
    Sh!t happens but any situation can be handled with a bit of good will and two way communication. IMHO

and ya, I've done a deal or two! LOL

Yeah, it's just simple common sense and communication. Unfortunately they aren't as common as they used to be.

Deep - I'll see your good post, and raise you one excellent post! Really jethunter, you nailed it. Especially the bit about knowing someone has read your pm, but not responded. I've never had an issue with any EE deal personally, but it's easy to see how things could go sideways pretty quickly.

I would also add that as a seller providing a contact phone number is a positive display of good faith for whomever is buying off of you. I've seen where problems arise completely from e-mail miscommunication where a simple phone call would've put things right in a minute or less.

In addition, if you are shipping an item and say that you are going to insure it, then for Heaven's sake don't be cheap and put the insurance on it. Also if you are charging the buyer the actual cost of shipping, don't do the E-bay and double up "to cover your time", that's really greasy.

This is a great post. I think the key here is communication between buyers and sellers. I try to update buyers as often as possible because I know that's what I like when I am the buyer. I find most members have very good communication. It's really just common sense. This would be a great read for new members though, should be a sticky.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnt_servo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
    1. a) send the parcel or money order within 1 business day from when you made the agreement OR
    b) let the other party know from the start that you will be delayed getting to the post office for some reason. You should NOT just assume they will be willing to wait a week while you piss around.
    waiting for the seller to find out shipping charges should be added to this list too ....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 3macs1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
    Yeah, it's just simple common sense and communication. Unfortunately they aren't as common as they used to be.
    Excellent post.

Just something to add which I find common here is if one doesn't have emt which many of us donot and the item is like under 50.00 or so many times a cheque is sent to save the 8.50 MO fees.
    Please don't wait 6-9 months to cash it. May not sound like a big deal but if you have a bunch out there it can really tick the wife off at month end.:D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bear.23's Avatar
    I'm #### for communications.. Usually on the shipping since 99% of the time I don't do the shipping.. only 50% of the time do I do the packaging..
    Tired, Old, Sore & Cranky... What else is new..

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast