Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John- can you tell us about the challenges in acquiring and importing milsurps?

CGN frequent flyer
    Travelling around the world looking for firearms and trying to save them from getting smelted down and turned into some cheap souvenir for tourists, sounds nice, sure 98 percent disappointment and huge bureaucratic nightmares, but that 2% of pure delight in finding stuff, saving it from the smelter, and selling it to people who actually appreciate the firearm, would make it all worth it for me.
    (yes this is a major simplification, due to not having any idea how these things are done)

Reminds me of the show where the collector sent a team to find him some ww2 aircraft he needed for his collection. so they busted their arses looking for the wrecks in order to see if they could be brought home.... sad though, its probably easier to bring a plane wreck into the country than it is to bring a shipment of collectable firearms... oh canada.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    That day was about 15 years ago.
    Lever Arms brought in a container or two from Denmark. I bought two for $150 each, in damn good condition.
    stop making me feel sad.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Expired Business
    TOOTALL;

Yes that was a good deal, the Danish Governemnt was paid $35.each for them

In fact they received some Canadian surplus aircraft in the deal, enough said.
    John

Expired Business
    STRAY03;

Yes I have to admit that it is sometimes quite rewarding knowing that some nice pieces of history won't go to the big junk heap in the sky....

On the other hand sometimes it get a little "touchy" when one is in an area of warring parties....

Sometimes in can be unreal, I can recall many times during the war in the Balkans having dinner withing sound of the artillery and mortars....So close yet so far....

I can recall when the UN and NATO mandated us to clean up some areas once the cease fire was in place, we were receiving several 18 wheelers per day of weapons and munitions fresh from the front, hell some of the weapons were still loaded....

John

You really have to write a book, John!

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    You really have to write a book, John!
    agreed +1

CGN Regular
    We have a law about this in Canada (maybe it is Quebec only), but no weapons owned by the government can be sold or even given to anyone.

They can transfer weapons between various government organisation, but cannot get them out in any way.

In the past when the SQ sold their shotguns, we were able to buy them. No more of this. All weapons go to the smelter. And when they do a shipment, there's a huge lot of cardboard boxes going out.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    STRAY03;

On the other hand sometimes it get a little "touchy" when one is in an area of warring parties....
    Sometimes in can be unreal, I can recall many times during the war in the Balkans having dinner withing sound of the artillery and mortars....So close yet so far....

John
    Sounds pretty interesting, a job where the worst thing that can happen isn't just getting canned. Keeps you on your toes. And the travelling isn't the typical fannypacker lets see the touristy part of town kind. You get to see the country for how it is, not hidden behind the BS happiness veil you see in the ads.

Like when I went to cuba, on the bus to Havana the tour guide is guiding everyones attention to the "happy" things along the way, while I was noticing the military firing range, or the training the military was doing with the paragliders. (still don't understand why they were training their soldiers to use them... "hey whats that noise? oh dear it's a guy with a parachute and a fan on his back... quick lets give up before he lands!")

Can't handle that kind of travel (AKA Disney travel), did I visit cuba, yes, did I actually see the real cuba no, just what they want me to see.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    TOOTALL;

Yes that was a good deal, the Danish Governemnt was paid $35.each for them....
    hmm... and lever arms sold them for $150.

As a % return on investment, that doesn't sound too bad... but John's given us an insight into the work (and risk) that goes on 'behind the scenes'.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nntw View Post
    hmm... and lever arms sold them for $150.

As a % return on investment, that doesn't sound too bad... but John's given us an insight into the work (and risk) that goes on 'behind the scenes'.
    But what were the costs to actually get them to Canada. No way the end cost for each rifle was 35 bucks.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast