Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: John- can you tell us about the challenges in acquiring and importing milsurps?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    But what were the costs to actually get them to Canada. No way the end cost for each rifle was 35 bucks.
    Absolutely! That's what I mean by the 'work (and risk)'. Lot more goes on than we realize.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nntw View Post
    Absolutely! That's what I mean by the 'work (and risk)'. Lot more goes on than we realize.
    Imagine if Lever Arms threw those rifles into storage for 15yrs before selling them.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Imagine if Lever Arms threw those rifles into storage for 15yrs before selling them.

I dunno- as an investment, it's probably not that good a rate of return.

Let's say they're so good that you could get $1500 for one of them now (I know, I know, we hear #s of $1000-1250, but let's say they're pristine), that means they went up in value 10 times.... but annually, that's about a 16-17% return on their money. Don't know if it's that good a return for a business.

Then again, wish MY investments went up 17% every year!
    Last edited by nntw; 10-28-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    NNTW;
    "I guess it means that some stuff is still out there? And with all respect to the SKS's you're able to find, am thinking more in terms of Lee Enfields, Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, Mausers, etc."

Oh yes, there is stuff out there, tracking it down is one thing, trying to purchase it is something quite different....All of the above are out there, but many countries come under the influence of the USA for one reason or another and agree to destroy obsolete weaponry in exchange for American aid.... Such was the case in Greece....
    You must also consider the fact that the EU is pressuring both the old and new members to destroy all their obsolete weapons of war rather than sell them off....
    Add to the equation the the officials that want to look good on the world stage by making a very public display of destroying all their evil weapons of war....

"Take the 1903s as an example."
    By the time we found out about the 1903s the orders had been given to destroy them with BARs, 1917 Water cooled MGs, 1919a4s, .50BMGs, Mp-38s, Mp-40s, Thompsons, Berettas, etc, etc....
    You must understand that it is much easier for a functionary to simply order goods destroyed rather than go through the long and complicated process of selling them, with one stroke of the pen the problem is solved....

We have seen the same scenario repeated time and time again all over the world....

On the other hand we are always looking, searching, etc.... If its out there we will try and find it....

John
    The US CMP managed to bring back a lot of M1 Garands and M1903 Springfields from Greece and has been selling them to eligible US shooters for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    You really have to write a book, John!
    I think I have read something like John will write a book or he is writing it...
    CSSA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Riflechair's Avatar
    John, the guys are right. I'd like to know what you think of:
    - where we've been;
    - what we've seen and;
    - where it seems to be we're going.

I've been listening to ex-governor of Minnesota Jesse Ventura on youtube. He has some very interesting things to say about trends. I'm sure you have an interesting perspective as well.
    Maple Leaf Up!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234