Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: John- can you tell us about the challenges in acquiring and importing milsurps?

BANNED

John- can you tell us about the challenges in acquiring and importing milsurps?

Hi John:

In the enfield wood thread, you made the comment:

"The last 1903 rifles I saw was in Greece a few months ago, on the way to the foundry, brand new, still in the original shipping crates...."

That's really got me wondering (not to mention weeping).

I guess it means that some stuff is still out there? And with all respect to the SKS's you're able to find, am thinking more in terms of Lee Enfields, Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, Mausers, etc.

To educate us, what would the issues be about Marstar trying to get this stuff when it comes up-?

Take the 1903s as an example.

Can appreciate there's got to be enough product to make it worthwhile. Are there 'political' issues, even about obsolete firearms like 1903's? But what are the other challenges?

Your perspective would be interesting, because this is a world that the average consumer knows nothing about, and it would be interesting to understand a bit more about the obstacles you face.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nntw; 10-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Expired Business
    NNTW;
    "I guess it means that some stuff is still out there? And with all respect to the SKS's you're able to find, am thinking more in terms of Lee Enfields, Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, Mausers, etc."

Oh yes, there is stuff out there, tracking it down is one thing, trying to purchase it is something quite different....All of the above are out there, but many countries come under the influence of the USA for one reason or another and agree to destroy obsolete weaponry in exchange for American aid.... Such was the case in Greece....
    You must also consider the fact that the EU is pressuring both the old and new members to destroy all their obsolete weapons of war rather than sell them off....
    Add to the equation the the officials that want to look good on the world stage by making a very public display of destroying all their evil weapons of war....

"Take the 1903s as an example."
    By the time we found out about the 1903s the orders had been given to destroy them with BARs, 1917 Water cooled MGs, 1919a4s, .50BMGs, Mp-38s, Mp-40s, Thompsons, Berettas, etc, etc....
    You must understand that it is much easier for a functionary to simply order goods destroyed rather than go through the long and complicated process of selling them, with one stroke of the pen the problem is solved....

We have seen the same scenario repeated time and time again all over the world....

On the other hand we are always looking, searching, etc.... If its out there we will try and find it....

John

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    If it's out there we will try and find it....

John

That should be the Marstar motto!

Thanks John for the fascinating story. Confirms a lot of what I suspected.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by nntw View Post
    That should be the Marstar motto!

Thanks John for the fascinating story. Confirms a lot of what I suspected.

Richard
    that would be a cool motto. And thanks for the peak into you incredible frustrating job.

BANNED
    Maybe the motto should be:

If it's out there we will find it!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    I think when john retires he should write a book about his life. I bet it would be really interesting.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Quote Originally Posted by griffin86 View Post
    I think when john retires he should write a book about his life. I bet it would be really interesting.
    maybe it can be part fiction about how he went all steven segall on those guys that raided his warehouse(s).

Maybe even an good canadian film. hahaha

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 5440fight's Avatar
    "Marstar" the story of beaurocratic manuverings, endless paperwork, assinine customer complaints and traveling. Hmm... better just write a book "based" loosely on reality- better story.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Quote Originally Posted by 5440fight View Post
    "Marstar" the story of beaurocratic manuverings, endless paperwork, assinine customer complaints and traveling. Hmm... better just write a book "based" loosely on reality- better story.
    Probably more educational than watching sons of guns.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 5440fight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by technicolor_yawn View Post
    Probably more educational than watching sons of guns.
    Given! I can't watch that show, it shrinks my brain, yet makes me feel smarter.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast