Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New caliber to convert .32 acp pistols to restricted

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prosper View Post
    I wonder - could these be rebarrelled with a barrel stamped '7.65 mm Browning?' That would take 32acp brass, bullets and dies as-is because 7.65mm is the euro designation for the 32 ACP; which is, of course, not *actually* a '32 caliber' at all (just like the 38 special is actually closer to a 36 caliber than a 38, for example)
    There was a court verdict saying that 7.65 Browning is still a 32 cal, and it's a precedent and has not been reversed.

That means that even a longer bbl in that calibre is still a prohib. Too bad. NFA should have the info as IIRC they were closely involved with the case.
    "The semi-automatic weapons’ menacing looks, coupled with the public’s confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons — anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun — can only increase that chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons." — Josh Sugarmann, 1988

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    did the cfc change their policy again on cal change? I thought change in cal would not make .32's restricted as the receiver was always prohib. they seem to change back and forth every few years.
    Scott;...can the frame be considered to even have a calibre? Surely the calibre of a semi auto pistol is that of whatever barrel is installed in it as the chamber is integral to that barrel.

I can see this being an issue for revolvers as the chamber(s) are in the cylinder and distinct from the bore. WI guess it would also make any attempt at .32 revolver conversion problematical at best.

Dave

Sent my .32 Femaru in for a change-over to .30 Reid in March and still haven't received the CFO inspection (as of June 30). Epp's techs said it can take up to 4 months for CFO to verify the caliber change..
    Anyone know if there is a problem with the laws shifting again?

It is August 1 and still no Femaru pistol. CFO seems to be sitting on it.
    Approved today, now to be approved by CFO.
    Last edited by Loyer; 08-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyer View Post
    It is August 1 and still no Femaru pistol. CFO seems to be sitting on it.
    Write an e-mail and CC to everyone of importance.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

It takes a long time to get the DOJ lawyers to find a clause to stop this, hence the delay.
    People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.

"It's only a rabbit" were his last words....

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairieshooter View Post
    Great news!...any plans to do something similar for the revolver crowd....32 Colt, .32 S&W, .32-20 and so on?

Good question. Quite interested to see if some sort of caliber can be implemented.

Got the Femaru from EPPS. They did an excellent job of making a new .30 reid barrel. The CFO took a bunch of time but he/she eventually completed the task .

I am curious if this option is still available ? I would be interested in converting a 1914 Mauser and wondering if that is possible ? Would Epps be able to make a new barrel ?

Thanks for the help.
    Get Psyched !

CGN frequent flyer
    Epps still do this service?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast