Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New caliber to convert .32 acp pistols to restricted

Yup, just did one, cost 225$. I am currently looking for the .30 Reid caliber ammo and the reloading dies, bullets and brass. Anybody knows where I can find it?

The first post says Redding made some dies for Epps.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Have to make the ammo yourself using .32 brass...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aries-'s Avatar
    Any light 30cal bullet (around the 85gr mark) and use the same load data as 32acp. Get the dies at epps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Popov102 View Post
    Yup, just did one, cost 225$. I am currently looking for the .30 Reid caliber ammo and the reloading dies, bullets and brass. Anybody knows where I can find it?
    Hi, just wondering how you made out with finding dies, price etc or if you got that far. What pistol did you have converted? I have access to a 1903 colt 32 cal - Epps said conversion is $300 but also want to factor in other costs to see how much sentimentality can bear. Anyone have a colt converted and if so, how does it shoot? Same mag work?
    Thanks!

CGN frequent flyer
    sounds to me like all they are doing here is taking 32 ACP brass and converting it to 30 reid, making it a bottleneck pistol cartridge.

Therefore all original magazines *should* work just fine, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't (it's basically like converting a 40S&W to a 357 SIG - it's just a barrel change, mags still work fine with both calibers). Can't imagine any other costs associated with it, other than the obvious reloading dies, brass to convert, bullets and powder. Pretty cool little idea here, but I do wonder how many 30 caliber bullets are available in 85 grain and around there? They must be out there, or Epps wouldn't bother with this, but I just haven't seen a lot of them.

On the upside, there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't just use cast bullets, which I'm sure are easier to find in 30 caliber. Cool idea here, would be neat to be able to own one of these little guns (even if you did have to have the barrel sticking out like that)
    CCFR

Thats what I thought - though dies are pricey - $148 and Doug the gunsmith at Epps (who has been really helpful) has bullets for around 32 per hundred. Brass seems a bit scarce but havent begun looking in earnest until I decide whether worth it - sure would be nice to run across someone that had this done to get a feel for how it turned out as well as different reload experiences. Doug was saying the barrel ends up sticking out about a half inch - which isnt too bad cosmetic-wise.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aries-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Thats what I thought - though dies are pricey - $148 and Doug the gunsmith at Epps (who has been really helpful) has bullets for around 32 per hundred. Brass seems a bit scarce but havent begun looking in earnest until I decide whether worth it - sure would be nice to run across someone that had this done to get a feel for how it turned out as well as different reload experiences. Doug was saying the barrel ends up sticking out about a half inch - which isnt too bad cosmetic-wise.
    You wont find brass, you have to make it from 32acp brass. You wont find loaded ammo either. 30 reid is a 100% hand load option for these guns.

Any idea what a Browning 1900 or 1910/1922 would cost? I have the chance to buy buy a few, and would love to have them converted.

Also, what exactly is the .30 Reid? Is it just a .32 ACP that's sized down .004? Will .32acp rounds still work in the new chamber?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    Any idea what a Browning 1900 or 1910/1922 would cost? I have the chance to buy buy a few, and would love to have them converted.

Also, what exactly is the .30 Reid? Is it just a .32 ACP that's sized down .004? Will .32acp rounds still work in the new chamber?
    .32 ACP will not work. You'll need to hand load using commonly available components, and brass necked down.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast