Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New caliber to convert .32 acp pistols to restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    really cool stuff. this means many pistols can now be used and sold and enjoyed! well done.

now, I wonder if it would be just as easy to convert them to 7.62x25?

a couple of pistols already in this caliber, and one is a very recent thing.

you are already using .30 caliber barrels, and a bottleneck pistol cartridge.

just thinking out loud. Cheaper ammo, readily availiable, load data widely published, components availiable as well.
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    I would actually like a Colt 1903 hammerless. There are plenty available on GB. I think I should give Epps a call and see if I can send one to them for this re-barreling and conversion.

I wouldn't be too concerned about ammo. I would shoot it, but probably not very much.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hartman View Post
    ... now, I wonder if it would be just as easy to convert them to 7.62x25? ...
    That wouldn't be possible with most (if not all) of these pistols. 7.62x25 is way too long of a cartridge to work within the small frames of these guns. And even if it did, most of these pistols are blowback operated, but 7.62x25 would need some form of locking breach.

Legislation - ban by caliber

Even if this were possible, there's a certain wisdom in using a wildcat round to get past the legislative "ban by caliber" approach. The obvious intent, albeit redundant in light of the 106mm barrel length requirement, was to prohibit a class of compact firearm. Since the number of wildcat rounds is virtually unlimited and the legislative cycle is slow, there will be windows of opportunity for the (re)sale of otherwise prohibited firearms. In due course, however, sufficiently amibiguous legalese will be crafted prohibiting this activity.

There may be some merit, however, in creating a larger community of 12(6) prohibited gun owners, assuming their rights continue to be grandfathered in the current fashion. To that end, I would suggest retooling an inexpensive surplus pistol to .30 Reid, and selling as many of them as possible. Hence our story comes full circle, with the idea that perhaps a Tokarev 7.62x25 TT-33 (Chinese Type 54) could be converted to .30 Reid and sold with a box of ammo at an agreeable price.

What say?

really cool stuff. this means many pistols can now be used and sold and enjoyed! well done.

a couple of pistols already in this caliber, and one is a very recent thing.

you are already using .30 caliber barrels, and a bottleneck pistol cartridge.

just thinking out loud. Cheaper ammo, readily availiable, load data widely published, components availiable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lintocs View Post
    Even if this were possible, there's a certain wisdom in using a wildcat round to get past the legislative "ban by caliber" approach. The obvious intent, albeit redundant in light of the 106mm barrel length requirement, was to prohibit a class of compact firearm. Since the number of wildcat rounds is virtually unlimited and the legislative cycle is slow, there will be windows of opportunity for the (re)sale of otherwise prohibited firearms. In due course, however, sufficiently amibiguous legalese will be crafted prohibiting this activity.

There may be some merit, however, in creating a larger community of 12(6) prohibited gun owners, assuming their rights continue to be grandfathered in the current fashion. To that end, I would suggest retooling an inexpensive surplus pistol to .30 Reid, and selling as many of them as possible. Hence our story comes full circle, with the idea that perhaps a Tokarev 7.62x25 TT-33 (Chinese Type 54) could be converted to .30 Reid and sold with a box of ammo at an agreeable price.

What say?
    It can't be done economically. The TT33 is a locked breech pistol chambered for a high-power, high pressure, bottle-necked "pistol" (SMG) round. Reworking them to be straight blowback would not be an economical exercise. However, a newly manufactured firearm could be designed quite readily, due to the low working requirements of the .32 ACP/.30 Reid round.

Economically un
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    ok, cool, thanks.

I was wondering because of the Norinco Sig copy in x25. is it a different locking design than straight blowback?
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

ok, cool, thanks.

I was wondering because of the Norinco Sig copy in x25. is it a different locking design than straight blowback?
    Of course it's not straight blowback. You can't do blowback with bottle-necked cartridges. It's locking like every other pistol 9mm and greater.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

CGN Regular

7.62x17 Chinese is very close to 32ACP (7.65x17) and even closer to 30 reid. A truely rimless 32ACP with .308 bullet - except I find it listed as a .309 bullet (32 acp .3125). Would the Chinese really be weird enough to use a .309 bullet not .308?

You gain an (obscure) commercial cartridge, and guns, but conversions would now require a bolt and extractor change.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    Of course it's not straight blowback. You can't do blowback with bottle-necked cartridges. It's locking like every other pistol 9mm and greater.
    Bottle-necked itself makes no difference. 17 HM2 is bottle necked and just a barrel swap for most blowback 22LR guns. "Like every other pistol 9mm and greater" - that closer to the problem. Blowbacks need somewhere to blow so you find larger caliber blowbacks as rifles. STEN and many other 9mm spray guns and the US m3 grease gun in 45acp for example. I guess those are "machine-pistols". Well you get the idea.
    Last edited by whimsy; 06-27-2016 at 10:01 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    I have no idea where this nonsense about how "you can't do blowback with bottle-necked cartridges" comes from. What about 6 million plus PPSh41 and PPS43 guns (?) or, for that matter, that brand new A17 Savage sitting on the rack in my neighborhood gun store? Geeze!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast