Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: B-24 Liberator

CGN Ultra frequent flyer angrysoldier's Avatar
    wheres the rest of the wreck??
    dont sweat the petty things, and dont pet the sweaty things

CGN Regular
    Glad to see this thread back up.

Thank-you John for posting it, and many thanks to your father for his service.

I'm a Legion member (never served but had family who did, and still do). One of the members I don't get down to see enough any more earned a DFC flying Libs for the Burma Bombers.

I printed the entire thread and gave it to him on the occasion of his 95th Birthday. It was very much appreciated.

If anyone would like to read a great book, "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.
    The story of Louis Zamperini, an American B-24 bomber pilot in WW2.
    [IMG][/IMG]

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Petrock's Avatar
    Fabulous bit of history.

I hope many children can learn from the mistakes of our past, and that there are enough of us telling the stories to keep those mistakes from being repeated.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysoldier View Post
    wheres the rest of the wreck??
    Still there! Protected site. Remote. Personal effects, weapons and a small amount of remains recently removed.

CGN Regular
    another Pic

CGN Regular
    Hamilton Standard Prop decal, over 60 years in the bush and looks like the decals they use today....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ojo de aguila's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics guys. These types of historical pictures are priceless and a reminder of why we must never forget. My grandmothers brother Orrin was lost in an RCAF Lancaster near Aisne France. She was able to lay a wreath in the 80's in the towns annual service at the site, so that was good closure for her. Kind of strange though, there were usually 7 in a Lanc, but there were 4 Brits & 4 Canucks in this one. Any info on possible reasons why would be appreciated.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ojo de aguila View Post
    Thanks for the pics guys. These types of historical pictures are priceless and a reminder of why we must never forget. My grandmothers brother Orrin was lost in an RCAF Lancaster near Aisne France. She was able to lay a wreath in the 80's in the towns annual service at the site, so that was good closure for her. Kind of strange though, there were usually 7 in a Lanc, but there were 4 Brits & 4 Canucks in this one. Any info on possible reasons why would be appreciated.
    Many reasons why there would be an extra crew member. Flying "Second Dickey", was a first time pilots flight in combat with a seasoned crew to get the routine down as there was no copilots position on a lanc. Could have been a combat photographer etc. If you have some detail on the crew such as Sqn number, crew names etc just throw it into google. It is very possible to get great detail thru a quick search. Good luck.

CGN Regular
    Nose gear with burnt/melted tire below rim. Note the tire bead wires still there after all these years. I found their binoculars last year, partial leather strap still attached. With heavy heart I placed it back where found.....