Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: E-commerce

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CZ85Combat's Avatar
    Not too fast, my credit card needs a break!

Lunching websites sucks. Programmers make promises. Have issues, never deliver on time. How is a old dog like Mr. Wolverine suppose to know? He is learning the hard way. Only way to avoid these issues is to hire a professional team to design a site. That would cost 100,000 plus. So dealing with some pakistani In india or programming gradute is much cheaper, just less predictable.
    Glock 19 | Ruger Gunsite | Benelli Supernova

These days, a ecommerce site is not rocket science to build! Many good solutions are available free on the net (joomla with virtuemart is a good example). Those solutions are ideal for small outfit, easy to implement and run!
    Jack

Expired Business Member Technology Direct's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_GN View Post
    These days, a ecommerce site is not rocket science to build! Many good solutions are available free on the net (joomla with virtuemart is a good example). Those solutions are ideal for small outfit, easy to implement and run!
    Developing and maintaining a secure, up to date, user-friendly website is a massive undertaking and a constant challenge.

Picking a free vanilla cart is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Technology Direct View Post
    Developing and maintaining a secure, up to date, user-friendly website is a massive undertaking and a constant challenge.

Picking a free vanilla cart is just the beginning.
    Bingo.
    Glock 19 | Ruger Gunsite | Benelli Supernova

Here are a few facts and figures on what we have all been up to in order to offer what we plan to be a user friendly, secure system for our customers. This has been a two year project. Before we could offer true E-Commerce sales we had to implement a new Point Of Sale program. (The POS acronym has not been lost on us!). This meant that over 15,000 skus had to be created, part numbers and prices entered. During this time period (last two years) we have lost one staff member and hired four more. We finished up with 15 POS terminals. We purchased two computerised systems from professional companies. Then the fun began as the programs had to talk to each other and customised to suit a business that is selling firearms to every Province in Canada. Just a small example but Provincial taxes were changed in this period, so new programming had to be implemented. Our invoiced system is linked to the requirements of the sale, for example if purchasing a restricted firearm the Gun Club has to be entered. Only this week the CFC now require the Date of Birth for every transfer, this requires a program change so it will be a requirement printed on the invoice. I am only scratching at the surface of what has taken place in the last two years. The extra work that Ryan and Danielle have been forced to carry out has been tremendous, their overtime hours huge, taking them away from their regular routine made extra work for others. The financial cost has easily run over six figures.

E-Commerce may not be rocket science these days but the system we required did not exist, and yes I am an “Old Dog” (I have been called a lot worse) and implementing a “New System” that I do not understand has been extremely frustrating for me. I understand engines, guns and things mechanical, not computers but I digress. I am fortunate in having a great team and due to their efforts, not mine, we should be live before noon today.

John your store is the only outfit I do not ever have to hesitate to deal with, awesome effort by your crew.

Wish you continue success !!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Here are a few facts and figures on what we have all been up to in order to offer what we plan to be a user friendly, secure system for our customers. This has been a two year project. Before we could offer true E-Commerce sales we had to implement a new Point Of Sale program. (The POS acronym has not been lost on us!). This meant that over 15,000 skus had to be created, part numbers and prices entered. During this time period (last two years) we have lost one staff member and hired four more. We finished up with 15 POS terminals. We purchased two computerised systems from professional companies. Then the fun began as the programs had to talk to each other and customised to suit a business that is selling firearms to every Province in Canada. Just a small example but Provincial taxes were changed in this period, so new programming had to be implemented. Our invoiced system is linked to the requirements of the sale, for example if purchasing a restricted firearm the Gun Club has to be entered. Only this week the CFC now require the Date of Birth for every transfer, this requires a program change so it will be a requirement printed on the invoice. I am only scratching at the surface of what has taken place in the last two years. The extra work that Ryan and Danielle have been forced to carry out has been tremendous, their overtime hours huge, taking them away from their regular routine made extra work for others. The financial cost has easily run over six figures.

E-Commerce may not be rocket science these days but the system we required did not exist, and yes I am an “Old Dog” (I have been called a lot worse) and implementing a “New System” that I do not understand has been extremely frustrating for me. I understand engines, guns and things mechanical, not computers but I digress. I am fortunate in having a great team and due to their efforts, not mine, we should be live before noon today.
    Awesome! New month, new site.
    Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra!

Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    John your store is the only outfit I do not ever have to hesitate to deal with, awesome effort by your crew.

Wish you continue success !!
    I 100% agree. Wolverine is the only firearms business in Canada that I never have any doubts about when making a purchase. I am very psyched about this new website. I just wish I had more funds, these days.

anyone else keep going to their website to see if it is up yet?
    OP'd by jbrow397:
    We held court on the Internet and as usual, all parties are held in contempt.