Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting a gun permit in Quebec

getting a gun permit in Quebec

so I thought all I need is to do my course and then fill out the forms for my PAL

and then I heard about Anastasia's law

Restrict ownership of semi-automatic weapons to gun club members.

so that would mean I cant just buy a CZ858 without being a gun club member ?

Require people to apply for gun permits in person at a police station and pass an aptitude test

So would I have to go to a police station ? I thought I had to apply by mail?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000101 View Post
    so I thought all I need is to do my course and then fill out the forms for my PAL

and then I heard about Anastasia's law

Restrict ownership of semi-automatic weapons to gun club members.

so that would mean I cant just buy a CZ858 without being a gun club member ?

Require people to apply for gun permits in person at a police station and pass an aptitude test

So would I have to go to a police station ? I thought I had to apply by mail?
    if you live in quebec, and you want to own a restricted firearm, your pal will do you no good. you need to get a Rpal, which is a course on its own about restricted firearms, for new pal applicants who also want to purchase restricteds; Both courses are needed. Once you have done your courses and have your certificates , you can then submit an application form to the government, after you have joined a club, and after you have passed the law 9 course (which is to get you to shoot an actual firearm, Instructors usually rent yu their own handguns)

the SQ demands that you submit it thru your hometown's police station, who will undoubtibly scan the mofo out of it to identify you as a potential hangun owner (that is the intent of the process) , provided that they know about the process... usually, if they havent encountered this process once, they will be clueless on what to do , or revert you back to the closest SQ station ** do not listen to them** have them call the sq, who will explain to them what to do

though you are responsible for putting stamps on the envelope, they will mail your application for you and give you a receipt that they have the form on hand.

a lot of b.s. red tape, but its something you will have to endure if you love the sport enough. Good Luck.

dont be discouraged; we all had to go thru this, and all came out eventually and we were able to finally practice the sport legally... even with all the hassle; its worth it.

sorry I didn't explain it properly , this is for my non restricted pal

so in Quebec its just pass the course, fill out the form and get my pal

then I would be able to buy a semi auto non restricted CZ 858 ?

I wont have to join a gun club?

That's correct Anastasia law is only for restricted firearms. If you only have a non restricted pal no need to pass the Anastasia's law.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lyman54's Avatar
    The CZ858 isn't restricted, if you have a PAL, buy and enjoy. As I've said before, if you join a club in Ontario. Anastasia law doesn't apply. It's the Quebec clubs that you take the 'course' for. Never heard of having to apply at the local cop shop and taking a test. What, the SQ are shrinks now too? I'll bet half of them would have to turn in their pistols if they took it.
    If guns cause crime, mine must be defective

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ruddricky View Post
    That's correct Anastasia law is only for restricted firearms. If you only have a non restricted pal no need to pass the Anastasia's law.
    thats innacurate. People are confused about Law 9.

Law 9 applies to ANYONE who wants to join a club.
    It also prohibits ALL types of firearms in public transit and in schools, among other things.

So, if you want to buy a non-restricted firearm and keep it in your closet or only shoot it on crown land or your country house, you won't have to take the law 9 class. (even though that law still prohibits you from the public transit transportation etc)

But, the second you want to join a club, you'll be required to pass the law 9 class, no matter if you shoot restricteds or not.

People seem to think that it only applies to restricted firearms because of the mandatory club membership to own such guns.

I wish people actually read the law instead...
    h ttp://www.clubtirbeauport.com/docs/Texte_loi9.pdf
    Last edited by sewktbk; 12-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lyman54 View Post
    The CZ858 isn't restricted, if you have a PAL, buy and enjoy. As I've said before, if you join a club in Ontario. Anastasia law doesn't apply. It's the Quebec clubs that you take the 'course' for. Never heard of having to apply at the local cop shop and taking a test. What, the SQ are shrinks now too? I'll bet half of them would have to turn in their pistols if they took it.
    The thing about the police station thing goes as follows :

the only way you can send your application in Quebec is by bringing it to your local police station So that your identity can be verified by the constable there.

You have to show up with 2 pieces of photo ID and the form from the CFO.
    They then put your application with the rest of their mail to be sent out.

It is simply a deterring measure. Useless perhaps, but in their books, someone who's bats**t crazy and wants guns will stay away knowing he has to be identified by a cop first.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sardaukar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sewktbk View Post
    But, the second you want to join a club, you'll be required to pass the law 9 class, no matter if you shoot restricteds or not.
    Well I joined a club last year and I didn't pass the Law 9 class or test. But I don't shoot restricteds...

And yes, you can buy a CZ858 without a club membership.

Official French Facilitator lucky72's Avatar
    EOSC Member
    NRA Life Member
    CCFR Member

Official French Facilitator lucky72's Avatar
    plaine in simple, if you are a resident of Quebec and your sick and tiried of all the law and b..s.. that the provincial goverment has and will impose on you, why not join the CSSA and signed the peition to get them recognize in Quebec so we can start to have an org that represente us.
    EOSC Member
    NRA Life Member
    CCFR Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast