Thread: Length of Pull Determination for Recoil Pad

Length of Pull Determination for Recoil Pad

I have a Benelli Supernova tactical, and so far I love it. As I was expecting, recoil was quite tolerable for a 12 gauge and someone my size, but if I were to shoot say 50 rounds in a day, I'm sure my shoulder be sore. So it appears there is a better recoil pad then the stock one, and there are different length of pulls. I was looking up L.O.P., but there appears to be different opinions on how to size it up for the user. I assume it goes by height and maybe something like arm length? I'm about 5'3".

I think I am supposed to go with the shortest one at L.O.P. of 13-7/8", but there also exists 14-3/8" and 14-7/8"? (The recoil pads are here: http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_supernova_tactical.php under Optional).

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm fairly new to this but I can pass on what I"ve been told so far. For target rifles, the proper LOP should be where if you put the butt of the rifle in the crook of your elbow when bent and your trigger finger should find itself on the trigger.

This is just a starting point though.

Cheers,
    Gun Newbie

Thanks for the reply! I'll be looking into it, heard something along those lines before. Sounds like a good thing to try out.

Short LOP but want raised or adjustable comb

Not a frequent visitor here. I have a 13" LOP but want a trap gun with raised or adjustable comb, but however; this means shortening the LOP and cutting into the raised comb (I have given up on the adjustable comb since it is complicated to work around a short LOP). Any inexpensive solutions besides getting a sporting stock without much drop from heel to comb?

BANNED
    What nockon says about rifles applies to shotguns too. However, it's the LOP you need not what you're supposed to have. You can do a quick measure by doing the elbow thing with a yard/meter(No metrics Stateside so everything is in inches) stick. Where your trigger finger comes on the stick is your LOP.
    If the stock is wood, you cut it, using a miter box or saw, to fit the pad for whatever length you need. Synthetics can be cut but it depends on the stock. Some of 'em are not solid and are filled with foam or are just hollow. No idea what a Benelli has.

Do yourself a favour and read one of the many articles about shotgun gunfitting and you will have a better understanding of LOP instead of the old wives tale about the crook of the elbow. The only thing that tells you is how long your forearm is.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way!