Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms 553-US Lower

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by VLT79 View Post
    The U.S. has made a SIG 556 in 7.62x39mm available!

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...s/sig556r.aspx
    Hmm... It'd be interesting to see one that used XCR Magazines...
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by zupermann View Post
    the sig 556 is made in the usa, and have (at least in the early ones) had some quality problems. Dealers have said they can't get the sig 556 up here because the US won't allow export.

The 553 is made in Switzerland (much more $$), but at least it's possible to get it here. Basically, my understanding is that by getting a 553, you'll be getting a better built version of the 556.
    The Sig 556 is not available in Canada, not because of US export issues, but because the RCMP ruled the rifle a derivative of the 550, which is a prohibited firearm. The upper on these rifles is the registered (or non-registered) component (the gun). You can import a 556 Lower and modify it to work with the SwissArms rifles (this would be assuming you could get US permission to export - a few people have), but why you would want to is beyond my understanding. Rather like buying a Bentley and shoe horning in a Chev 350. It won't do anything better, but it will be less reliable and civilized doing it
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE_Justin View Post
    Sig USA and SAN are two different entities... we do not deal with Sig Sauer USA at this time.
    Owned by the same people...run as two seperate companies for tax and other reasons/purposes. I'd bet they use the same blueprints and manufacturing processes for many of their parts. I'd even go so far as to say some parts are built in the same place with the same machines and the same steels...

You'd bet wrong. There's a reason why all the early issue USA Made 556 rifles had horrible QC issues. I've never see a poor quality SAN product.

Offical The Shooting Edge Rep. TSE_Justin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VLT79 View Post
    I'd bet they use the same blueprints and manufacturing processes for many of their parts. I'd even go so far as to say some parts are built in the same place with the same machines and the same steels...
    I would take the SAN 550 series over the Sig 556 any day... Even at twice the price. They are worlds apart.

CGN frequent flyer angryeyebrows's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    ...You can import a 556 Lower and modify it to work with the SwissArms rifles...
    More like modify the super expensive Swiss upper, by milling away certain areas. I'd go buy and NEA lower again before I messed around with the US lowers.

Just to recap for those of us lost in the flow... 556 is a prohib, 553 isn't? if so how much for a (complete)553 and how does it compare(whats different really) to the pe90 that we can have now? I'm looking to delve into a san type rifle but I think I'm off on some info... also:

What about parts availability?
    Who has them?
    Are there parts kits?
    Whats the life expectancy of one of these(both pe 90 and 553)? round wise...

Id much rather have ar type mags simply because here they are abundant(if this was Switzerland I'd probably not ever dream of ar mags)

I did see the thread in the black and green rifle section, but search doesn't help and maybe some others here are looking for this sort of info

*spelling fails edited* : /

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post
    Just to recap for those of us lost in the flow... 556 is a prohib, 553 isn't? if so how much for a (complete)553 and how does it compare(whats different really) to the pe90 that we can have now? I'm looking to delve into a san type rifle but I think I'm off on some info... also:

What about parts availability?
    Who has them?
    Are there parts kits?
    Whats the life expectancy of one of these(both pe 90 and 553)? round wise...

Id much rather have ar type mags simply because here they are abundant(if this was Switzerland I'd probably not ever dream of ar mags)

: /
    ^^^Good Questions....some of us were speculating (not without good reason) a 553 to be $4K or higher. Hence some ideas on mix and matching existing uppers with (cheaper?) lowers to get the benefit of AR mag use and keep costs down....
    Last edited by zupermann; 03-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    [QUOTE][QUOTE=enefgee;6905652]
    The Sig 556 is not available in Canada, not because of US export issues, but because the RCMP ruled the rifle a derivative of the 550, which is a prohibited firearm.[/QUOTE
    ]

I stand corrected, sir. I went with what I was told when I tried to order one when they first came out

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE_Justin View Post
    I would take the SAN 550 series over the Sig 556 any day... Even at twice the price. They are worlds apart.
    That's what I keep hearing so I guess I'll just have to buy a 556 and see for myself.