Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms 553-US Lower

Quote Originally Posted by VLT79 View Post
    That's what I keep hearing so I guess I'll just have to buy a 556 and see for myself.
    Good luck with that, unless you are a US Citizen with a second residence stateside; because since I see that you're in Alberta... You won't be able to lawfully posess a Sig 556 rifle. Prohibited class, deemed to be a variant of a named prohib (Sig 550)
    Piss off a Liberal, Buy a gun!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post
    Just to recap for those of us lost in the flow... 556 is a prohib, 553 isn't? if so how much for a (complete)553 and how does it compare(whats different really) to the pe90 that we can have now? I'm looking to delve into a san type rifle but I think I'm off on some info... also:

What about parts availability?
    Who has them?
    Are there parts kits?
    Whats the life expectancy of one of these(both pe 90 and 553)? round wise...

Id much rather have ar type mags simply because here they are abundant(if this was Switzerland I'd probably not ever dream of ar mags)

I did see the thread in the black and green rifle section, but search doesn't help and maybe some others here are looking for this sort of info

*spelling fails edited* : /
    Not quite, on the swiss arms rifles as well as the 55x rifles, the upper receiver is the registered firearm, not the lower. So, you can bring in the 553 lowers as it would be the 553 upper that is the prohibited part.

If thats what you are referring to.
    I'm no Superman, but don't worry, it's a common mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeEnfieldNo.4_mk1 View Post
    Not quite, on the swiss arms rifles as well as the 55x rifles, the upper receiver is the registered firearm, not the lower. So, you can bring in the 553 lowers as it would be the 553 upper that is the prohibited part.

If thats what you are referring to.
    so a 553 swiss upper is a prohib? ok so lets get this straight, to order a complete firearm they would put a pe90(our version) on a 553 lower and call it a pe90?

here's the other question in my mind, from what i have been reading all 55x style firearms have interchangeable bolts and carriers aside from the 552(smaller from what i understand) and that goes for the sig models in the states...

Therefore can I get myself a 551a1 bolt group from the states at half the price of a swiss made and use it for everyday plinking/range use?

anyways why is the upper the gun part? the lower is different(can't accept select fire parts) on these and the uppers the same aren't they? or am i wrong on the compatibility of parts between these firearms...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I know I'm splitting hairs here but since we're being all technical and stuff, the PE90 is ALSO a 550 variant - it's the Swiss semi-auto variant of the 550. The rifles we get here are not available anywhere else in the world, they are essentially the pre-550 rifle prototype that the Swiss Army found to be too expensive, so they simplified it and made it cheaper to produce and it became the 550. Substituting 550 parts into a SwissArms rifle of the type we get here in Canada is essentially putting a lesser designed part into your rifle.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    the PE90 is ALSO a 550 variant - it's the Swiss semi-auto variant of the 550.
    Not true. It's a 540 variant dated before the 550.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    I know I'm splitting hairs here but since we're being all technical and stuff, the PE90 is ALSO a 550 variant - it's the Swiss semi-auto variant of the 550. The rifles we get here are not available anywhere else in the world, they are essentially the pre-550 rifle prototype that the Swiss Army found to be too expensive, so they simplified it and made it cheaper to produce and it became the 550. Substituting 550 parts into a SwissArms rifle of the type we get here in Canada is essentially putting a lesser designed part into your rifle.
    totally understand about the lesser parts argument, but a bolt head and lug costs as much as 4 full bcgs for an ar15, then add even more for the carrier i'd rather have something cheap to torture and save the good stuff... so if it's possible that is what i will do, now to get the 553 lower...

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
    Good luck with that, unless you are a US Citizen with a second residence stateside; because since I see that you're in Alberta... You won't be able to lawfully posess a Sig 556 rifle. Prohibited class, deemed to be a variant of a named prohib (Sig 550)
    Indeed they are prohibited here...but I'm moving soon!

So any chance of buying the stripped lower to swap in our SAN parts from our steel lowers?

Thanks
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Offical The Shooting Edge Rep. TSE_Justin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ESQ View Post
    So any chance of buying the stripped lower to swap in our SAN parts from our steel lowers?

Thanks
    SAN is not selling the 553-US lowers in any way but complete.

lets say i want a complete san rifle(9inch or the 14) with that lower, how do i go about getting one? do i call you guys? how long should i expect to wait, the 3 months or more? also would the wait time for a stock san shorty/carbine rifle be as long?