Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Yugo mausers

I got mine today too. Also hand select but no bayonet either. I think I was actually the last person to order one! I'll be tearing her down and cleaning her as time allows over the weekend.

What are you guys doing for stock cosmo removal in winter? I've heard about a garbage bag and wiping it down every so often in summer but I currently don't have that luxury.

It's in really nice shape. At 60-ish years old it looks brand new. Even without the bayonet, amazing deal. Thanks Marstar.

Will the serial number provide any indication of year of manufacture? Any records out there?

Edit: I've read in the other M48 thread (here) stating regarding the wood "Far better to wash it off with the same mineral spirits and then set aside to dry well". I have kerosene on hand. Can I use that to wipe the cosmoline off the stock too?
    Last edited by icanuck; 01-20-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    I, Canvck

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ben777lemay's Avatar
    Received my handpicked Mauser today...
    I'm happy with the rifle but there is no bayonet !!!

If someone sells his bayonet, let me know !!! :D

Thx Marstar

Can some of you (unts post some pictures of your rifles please. I want to see how the hand select compare to the non hand select. Cheers.

CGN frequent flyer
    why you would like to save 25$ ?! take the hand select...

Quote Originally Posted by Duff350 View Post
    why you would like to save 25$ ?! take the hand select...
    I took the hand picked option... No bayonet...

But even without it, 325$ is a smoking deal for a Mauser in this condition !!!

I am still waiting on my rifle. I live in BC, and ill probably be the last to receive. I didnt pay for the hand select. Just curious to see if there is any REAL significant difference.
    I will post pictures when I receive.

I dipped/brushed the parts in varsol, diesel and gasoline (varsol is safer). I also used a hair dryer to get it to run from some of the tight spots. The bolt must come apart to get it clean.

This is my first stock that was soaked in cosmoline. I wiped what I could, then used varsol on some of the thicker stuff. Then ran very hot (depends how your heater is set) water on it and then eventually left it in the shower with the drain plug in. Once this dried I began rubbing with double boiled linseed oil and rag from Home Hardware. I'll see how it is after a few coats and may make linwax (1:1:1 linseed, turpentine, melted beeswax) to rub in too. Everything short of oiling the stock can be done in a few hours.
    "For among other evils that being unarmed brings you it causes you to be despised"
    Nicolo Machiavelli

I received mine a week or so ago. It was a regular pick, not the hand select. I did get a bayonet with mine but I think that's because I placed my order very early - before the deal was even posted here on CGN. Here's a couple of pics - as you can see the upper handguard is not quite colour matched and there is a bit of a scrape on the stock. Not a big deal for me as I only wanted a shooter grade gun and not a museum piece. The bore and all the metal parts are extremely clean - almost pristine - so that offsets any imperfections in the wood in my mind. I'm very happy with my Yugo and I'm looking forward to Marstars next special!

Here's mine, stock color is light, I like it !!!
    Amazing rifle,amazing condition, can't w8 to shoot it !!!
    Its my first mauser, and as a machinits I can admire all the work and effort put into these rifles.

Everything is perfect except a small ding in the wood, just behind the rear sling attachment... No big deal !!!

Last edited by ben777lemay; 01-22-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Got mine today. Very pleased with it. Im going to Take the Cosmoline off sometime this week when I have the time. I am going to try the WD-40 method. Ive used the brake cleaner method before and that worked well. It did not come with a bayonet, but I really dont care, this is a shooter gun and a gun I will be taking into the bush when I go hiking.
    I will post pics when I clean it up. I didn't pay the extra $25 for the hand select, and I still got a pretty sweet rifle.

Question:

Does anyone know where I can find/purchase a sling for this rifle?