Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SAN 511 .50cal

http://www.amsd.ch/om50.html

bad new or good news

I want this SAN 511.....a thing of beauty!

$15k is reasonable IMO

Wow... $15K is retarded. $3-4K, sure.

For all you guys that say 15g's is retarded, Are you saying the price is delayed in development? Or Perhaps It characterized By learning disabilities, or maybe, just maybe your saying it's stupid and irratonal. Now 15g's is alot of money but not unreasonable for a quality .50, hell I'd pay that just to be one of the few with one, too bad I don't have enough time to shoot the guns I have. Remember folks worth is what someone is willing to pay, this one won't last long
    “Okay, I reckon the hare gets ####ed”
    “What, Proper ####ed”

Sure make the LRT-3 .50 a real bargain, and Canadian too

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Out w/ Ur Glock Out View Post
    Ive got a question, why the ##### do these things cost so must?? Like whos gonna buy them a ret*rd!! Same, basically, materials as other rifles and quality! Quality control only gets so good. Yes they are chambered in a heavy round and have tolerances for such but really? 15 G's?????
    stick to paint ball
    "I HAVE A STRONG FEELING ABOUT GUN CONTROL. IF THERE'S A GUN AROUND, I WANT TO BE CONTROLLING IT." Clint Eastwood PISS OFF A LIBERAL, BUY A GUN

Offical The Shooting Edge Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by lacloche View Post
    http://www.amsd.ch/om50.html

bad new or good news
    Swiss Arms bought design and tooling from AMSD (another Swiss company), made some changes (like the barrrel).

The AI AW50 + kit we had for sale was a consignment piece... price was $17,000. Different type of gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Out w/ Ur Glock Out View Post
    Ive got a question, why the ##### do these things cost so must?? Like whos gonna buy them a ret*rd!! Same, basically, materials as other rifles and quality! Quality control only gets so good. Yes they are chambered in a heavy round and have tolerances for such but really? 15 G's?????
    Although this could've been worded better, i kinda agree with this point.
    There is absolutely no way that production of this rifle costs more than a SAN classic green, for example. Yet it costs 5x more.

Is this rifle more accurate than a Steyer HS-50? More reliable? Easier to use? Not likely, but it still costs 3 times the price of HS-50.

It seems that there is a huge "luxury tax" involved in .50bmg rifles. There is absolutely no other reason why a bolt action .50 cal should cost 10 to 30 times the price of regular bolt action hunting rifle (in a standard caliber), from a manufacturing point of view. It uses more metal and requires more machining, but with the cost of steel and modern manufacturing techniques (CNC), neither is a significant factor. It takes hours (or maybe a few days at most) to write a CNC program to machine this rifle from scratch. The basic design (bolt action rifle) was perfected 100-150 years ago, so there shouldn't be significant engineering costs involved either. Yes, it will cost a lot more to make on a smaller Swiss factory (compared to Remington, for example) but 30 times the price (of a Rem 700)? Come on..

Offical The Shooting Edge Rep.
    Tell ^ to car manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE_Justin View Post
    Tell ^ to car manufacturers.
    Cars are made up from thousands of unique parts, which come from hundreds of factories. All these parts are engineered from scratch by a huge team of engineers. They are all put together in a unique way, and thoroughly tested. There are literally hundreds of ways to either cut or increase costs at each of the many steps during the car's development and manufacturing. This is reflected in the final price of a car, and explains why they vary so much.

How many variables are there in putting together a couple of dozen of CNC-ed steel parts? (again, in almost exactly the same way that was perfected 100+ years ago)

To those saying that the price is reasonable because a certain .50bmg rifle is similarly priced, its like listing a Honda Civic for sale for 100k, and then using that price to justify selling a Toyota Corolla for 120k. Sure, 120k is reasonable compared to 100k for a similar product, but does it make it a fair price for that product?

P.S. - im not bashing TSE or any other dealer selling .50bmg rifles. I realize that you're not the one who sets the price. Im bashing gun owners for allowing gun manufacturers to impose this ridiculous "50bmg luxury tax" on them, and calling it "reasonable".

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast