Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2012: MEGA ARMS 308 Semi Automatic Rifle

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    If the patent is enforceable, LMT will just extract it's pound of flesh by asking for a loyalty. I am sure Colt, Colt Canada and others will have something to say about this.
    LMT seems pretty set on shutting down anyone infringing on their patent, especially the small to medium size companies. Someone the size of Colt has big pockets and can afford to fight the lawsuit and pay the penalty awards when they lose... The smaller companies will go broke if they try that. Colt might sell enough product to make it attractive for LMT to set royalty fees and for Colt to go that route, but that will also raise Colt's costs which in turn would increase the selling price of any product affected by the patent.

It's no different than the claims Colt made on the patents they held for various portions of the AR design, etc.

Speaking with Karl at SHOT he has little interest in licensing his MRP concept or in allowing others to use his idea... It should be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

LWRC also makes Monolithic Uppers, but they are piston driven, friend of mine works for them, will have to ask if this issue has come up.
    People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.

"It's only a rabbit" were his last words....

I always figured that if you have a patent, and I significantly improve on your patent, then I was good to go.
    Since the difference from one to the other could be arguably 'better' like Mega's barrel nut design over LMT's use of a bolt and torque wrench, The Mega distributes the torque over the barrel equally in the same proven method used since the design of the rifle...or the process of how vltor assembles two parts into one... a variation, or improvement could be argued.

I always figured the barrel nut concept was a proven design although painful to do, would stand up over multiple barrel changes better than contracting aluminum along a single point.

Technically the Tavor uses a similar idea to LMT to hold in the barrel, but improved it significantly by using a captured lobed pin, and a lock to control torque, so no tools are required but still holding in the barrel via a single notch...but maybe LMT will take them on too ?

How are NEA barrels retained?

Manufacturer-Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViktorF View Post
    I always figured that if you have a patent, and I significantly improve on your patent, then I was good to go.
    Since the difference from one to the other could be arguably 'better' like Mega's barrel nut design over LMT's use of a bolt and torque wrench, The Mega distributes the torque over the barrel equally in the same proven method used since the design of the rifle...or the process of how vltor assembles two parts into one... a variation, or improvement could be argued.

I always figured the barrel nut concept was a proven design although painful to do, would stand up over multiple barrel changes better than contracting aluminum along a single point.

Technically the Tavor uses a similar idea to LMT to hold in the barrel, but improved it significantly by using a captured lobed pin, and a lock to control torque, so no tools are required but still holding in the barrel via a single notch...but maybe LMT will take them on too ?

How are NEA barrels retained?
    Patents only apply to the product at hand. Youre right that if you generate a number of changes/improvements to a patent it is another product completely. Patent lawyers really know their field and can be a valuable asset to any company that creates any new product. Money well spent.. Certainly cheaper than a court defense.

How our barrels are retained will be released when our upper is released. Unlike our standard AR, for obvious reasons, weve been playing this hand pretty close to our chest.

BANNED
    I'm going to patent the color "black" and trademark the term "Black Rifle".....then everyone can pay me royalties. Patents are just getting retarded.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brocolt's Avatar
    I just wanted to say I love Mega products, I was the first to own a Mega in Canada a few years back and fore one would love to see them here. took almost 3 months to get the Mega here when I first had the paperwork done. I bought 2 Mega Gators this was my first one both consecutive serial numbers. Now Mega makes a receiver for a company called Red River tactical based in Texas, Now thats one frame I really wan't to see here.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brocolt's Avatar
    opps no edit option Duh!

looks like they took a page right out of the POF catalouge, Sweet rifle BTW

Quote Originally Posted by TheTooner View Post
    Is that just a typographical error or another catchy new word I can ignore because I'm and old geezer?
    I googled it, and came up with butkiss WRT relevance. I vote typo. No disrespect intended, Mr. greentips, sir. :D

Quote Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
    I'm going to patent the color "black" and trademark the term "Black Rifle".....then everyone can pay me royalties. Patents are just getting retarded.

I just patented the word 'simpleton.' Send me $53.27 Billion if you wish to keep posting on the interwebs.
    --------------------------------------------
    To err is human, but to Arrrrrr Is Pirate

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234