Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chiappa mare's leg any reviews

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar

chiappa mare's leg any reviews

I just put in a order for the Ciappa mares lag 44 mag Garry hope to get sum reviews

opps i just fond reviews on the ciappa mares lag sorry im bad

Chiappa Mares Leg

That is a good decision carverk.

I ordered the take-down version a year ago, and it only recently arrived.

What struck me immediately, was the higher quality, when compared to Rossi/Puma. By this I mean that the machining is much more precise, and components are well finished/polished, whereas Rossi/puma can't afford to do so at their price-point, so parts just do not fit together as well, and, out-of-the-box, the action is hit-and-miss.

Needless to say, the buckhorn sights - while better than the Rossi's - need replacement. I'm going for the X-sight ghost ring. This is a 75yd max shooter.

And the stock is heavy, solid walnut, rather than coconut. When I asked them about the finish, so that I could replicate it, this is what they replied:

"yes, our Mare's Leg is walnut.
    We apply a light hand of stain, we apply a wax to close the porosity of the wood, then two hands of tru-oil.
    Thank you for choosing a product of our line !"

I envision an elderly Italian craftsman pecking that out on the keyboard... but it was probably his grandson!

I'm currently working out a design for a stock extension, in order to shoulder this properly. The take-down will then be in 3 pieces - perfectly portable for traveling to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by carverk View Post
    I just put in a order for the Ciappa mares lag 44 mag Garry hope to get sum reviews

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    ddsmith,
    Is the barrel on yours tight to the receiver when assembled? I looked at one at Whanstalls a while back and was surprised by the amount of play when the takedown was in it's locked position....it didn't seem to be adjustable either.

I wonted the 44 but I am getting the 357 shod be fun hunting Haida Gwaii deer with it ! I got the Henry 22 Mare's Lag to help with the learning curve to shoot the thing

There is no play in mine. It is snug, but not so tight that putting the pieces together, or taking them apart, is a problem.

But that's a good point. If the take-down functionality is not perfect, then that gun is flawed, and should be avoided.

That being said, this is a precision tool, and it will not tolerate for long being constantly re-configured.

I'm a downtown guy, so it lives in a pistol case in a safe, and will probably be reconfigured maybe a dozen times per year, if that.

If I lived in the country, no doubt it would rarely be taken apart at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    ddsmith,
    Is the barrel on yours tight to the receiver when assembled? I looked at one at Whanstalls a while back and was surprised by the amount of play when the takedown was in it's locked position....it didn't seem to be adjustable either.

That sounds very good. I will have to make do with paper

Quote Originally Posted by carverk View Post
    I wonted the 44 but I am getting the 357 shod be fun hunting Haida Gwaii deer with it ! I got the Henry 22 Mare's Lag to help with the learning curve to shoot the thing

I handled one at the store, and I really felt it was a good interpretation of the 'mare's leg' concept.

It's an inch shorter than the rossi, and very well balanced. I happened to have lucked out and got a very good rossi which has worked flawlessly and has good fit and finish so i'm a little bias but the chiappa is a very cool design. Good looks, they got the weight and balance right, and it's even more compact than the rossi. And it also has a good saddle ring like the rossi, which i consider to be a key component to the ranch hand.
    Avatar by Pottsy. Attitude by birth.

I got the Henry 22 Mare's Lag to help with the learning curve to shoot the thing
    I did too and i have to tell you right now, they're not the same to shoot at all. If you like the henry, you are going to fall head over heels in love with the chiappa or a rossi. The henry feels and handles like a short rifle with the stock cut off. The chiappa and rossi feel and handle like a mare's leg.

I'm currently working out a design for a stock extension, in order to shoulder this properly.
    Before you do that - i'd recommend trying this.

I added a single point sling to the mix - one with elastics so that when you bring the gun up you 'pull' it against the elastic straps.

That actually adds a hell of a lot of stability. I have found the sight picture holds almost as steady as my full stock rossi. It is a great improvement over firing the ranch hand 'free hand'. It just attaches to the saddle ring.

It took me a bit to find the 'right' single point sling - many are designed for much heavier guns and are too stiff, or don't quite fit right with the size of the rossi. Im' currently using a voodoo single point sling (which Gary sells at wanstalls). Cheap and effective.

I would suggest giving that a try - when you wear it if it's sized correctly you can swing the ranch hand to the rear and it just rests on your back and doesn't really go anywhere even if you bend down to pick stuff up. But it's ready for instant use and swings forward smoothly as you bring the gun up. So it doubles as your carry system AND a shot-stabilizer similar to a stock.

You MAY find with the right sights and a little practice that this gives you the extra accuracy you need and also provides a good carry option (under OR over a coat) and then there's no extra 'take down' stuff at all - clip it on to use it, clip it off if you want the ranch hand ''freestyle' or need to put the ranch hand down for a while.

I suspect you'll find once you get used to it that you prefer it over a stock extension. It's kind of like a 'reverse stock' - pushing away to lock up the sight picture instead of pulling towards you so to speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast