Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Type of questions on the PAL/RPAL tests?

Just keep your finger off the trigger and use your common firearms sense. If you do not pass the tests,. Instruction/experience with firearms is something you need more of. Not a big deal. You might meet some like minded people taking the courses as well. Good luck
    Remember the SALMON ARM SALUTE at least P.E.T. was not a cry-baby like his kid.

There should definitely be a stickied thread with this all summed up nicely here!
    Personally, being a Newbie, I would find this the most exciting information.

I know my ACTS and my PROVE and I know my actions for long guns and I will be taking the course when I challenge the PAL and RPAL back to back in March, I have poured over those books a million times but it has been awhile since I handled a firearm. A Semi Auto handgun is going to make me sweat I bet....

Would anyone undertake such a project?
    A practice exam, what to expect, and some tips and advice for doing well?

As for the original post, Take the course.
    "Come on...... Do it... C'mon.....you know you wanna....C'mon"

I'm challenging the RPAL course here in March. Already signed up now.
    I've got the book, but I haven't learned anything new yet.

CGN Regular
    All I can say is the written tests are unbelievably easy. I got a 100% on the restricted and 98% on the non-restricted. The practical is easy as ACTS and PROVEing each weapon.

For the written just remember two things:

NO round or powder is interchangeable (smokeless vs black),

and

Understand the safe storage and transportation procedures.

The rest is pretty much commons sense.

CGN Regular
    Recently took mine and passed with a 98 on the restricted and a 88 on the non restricted.

For the written PAL, just know most of the basics for long rifles/shotguns, shot size, shell size, etc. if a certain round (ie 303 British) is usable by a different type (303 Savage), what distance is a bullet still dangerous, etc. So long as you read the book and have general knowledge about firearms, you should do fine.

For the practical PAL, I had to show my ACTS and PROVE, show how you traverse an obstacle with a firearm (I got a stream), show the carry stance and kneeling position. Again keep your finger off the trigger and watch where you point it. Not sure what the general opinion is on pointing it at the ground but ask your instructor if that's fine with him.

For the written RPAL, most of the same stuff as the PAL, only for handguns.

Practical, just PROVE and ACTS, how you'd store a weapon, etc stuff like that.

Again just read the books and have a basic knowledge of firearms and firearms safety. You'll do fine.

thanks for the tips, my mind is finally at ease as everyone has been telling me the same

Ya. Take the test.

You always get "know it alls" who think they have nothing new to learn. NOBODY is a "know it all." There is ALWAYS something new to learn, and for that reason, take the test.

I once took driving school when I was 25. (Specifically, YOUNG DRIVERS of CANADA) After a couple years of suspension and unpaid fines, I HAD to start over. I decided to take the class's for 2 reasons-- 1- Lower my insurance. 2- Get my licence in 8 months instead of the full year.
    Being 25 and already have taken all the exams, I "knew it all." Needless to say, I DIDNT "know it all" and I actually learned quite a bit. If I had the money I would take the class again. The 'in car' instructing was worth it alone!

We learn something new everyday. Knowledge is power.

I did a testing session for three guys one recent evening and had 3 fails of the 5 total tests administered - a record in the 14 years I've been doing this! One failed the written and two failed practical tests. One retired military, one longtime hunter and the third with what seemed to be a fair bit of range experience. Typically only about 10% fail a challenge when the test is properly administered.
    EOSC.ca

I took the PAL course and test last weekend and the RPAL this morning, I'd suggest taking the course. The written tests aren't difficult if you've read the books although some of the questions can be tricky so take your time and read them carefully (I almost got one question wrong because when I read it the first time I thought it said "locked" when it said "loaded").

The practical is straight forward, you're going to have to show that you know how to PROVE at least one of each type of firearm, Hinge, Bolt, Pump, Single Action Revolver, Double Action Revolver, Semi-Auto. Show that you can load them, demonstrate various firing stances, how the safeties work. You'll be asked questions on ammunition, storage and transportation. If you've taken the course it shouldn't be a problem.

If you challenge the test make sure you've had experience PROVING all the various types of weapons -- e.g. if you've never handled a lever action rifle or a pump action shotgun you could get hung up on its operation and fail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123