Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest Generation Steyr M-A1?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sixty9santa's Avatar
    I'd would have long bought a Gen2 in 9mm!!!
    "Genius begins great works, but labor alone finishes them." Joseph Joubert

To all with TDS: Trump for Prime Minister!!!

CGN frequent flyer
    This may help

In case of emergency, dial 1911.

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar

i owned two

I owned two gen one guns and this couldnt be further from the truth, they are awesome!! 100% reliable, no FTF'ds

Quote Originally Posted by Maxkeg View Post
    The M9-A1 as I know has jamming issues on 9mm ammo. It only operates perfect with Geco ammo from Switzerland, all other rounds fail to eject randomly. You could read on this on US Forums as it has been reported by many shooters. A friend of mine bought one in 9mm about two years ago that had the same issue. We tried Winchester, Remington and Federal ammo both factory and reloads, but the gun never operated properly and failed to eject randomly. Only Geco ammo worked perfect in this gun, because it has a deeper cut on the rim so the extractor could engage the brass tight and eject it. We even contacted Steyr in US and received two additional extractors, installed it, but the problem was never solved. My friend was so fed up with it that ended up selling the pistol. The pistol went down on price from $820.00 in 2010 to $550.00 in 2012.
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

CGN Regular
    I currently shoot an m9a1 exclusively and also set my buddies up as well. I got an updated extractor and spring from steyr Austria and both run flawless on any ammo I've ever fed them.

From an email from Wanstalls earlier today:

"We have dealt with older version (pre 08) that had a few issues, but rest assured all
    models we have sold in the past 2-3 years have been Gen 2 models and have had no issues. They are all new this year and run and function flawlessly."

So there you go.

Gen 1's have issues.
    Some gen 2's have extractors that are picky about ammo ... a simple fix is adding a 1911 plunger spring to your existing extractor spring, the factory spring is just a bit too weak.
    The LCI models are known to cause case dents for those that reload, something about having to file down the LCI to prevent it.

In 2010 steyr modified there spring and the extractor ... Austria sent me free upgrades but since i havent had an issue with extraction since adding the 1911 spring i havent tried the replacements yet. You wont find a 2010 model at canadian distributors until ALL older stock is sold off, there just isnt the market up here. Its a shame because seems like all issues have been fixed with the new models.

Anyone looking for a good source of info should browse the SteyrClub forums.

I have an 08 model that works flawless since the upgrade.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ...

Had four of them post 2008
    One fail to eject with Winchester white box
    Over 3000 rounds
    And had other fails to eject from that same box of
    Ammo when used with other guns
    There is nothing wrong with them now or for the
    Last five years IMO

Never had ejection issues with mine. Over 2000 rnds. All brands and reloads.

I bought mine used. Is there an easy way to check to see which version I have?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer legi0n's Avatar
    Mine is the original model and never jammed but does eject brass in my face quite often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast