Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest Generation Steyr M-A1?

Newest Generation Steyr M-A1?

Hey, I was wondering if the Steyr M9-A1 and M40-A1 listed on your website was the newest gen with the roll pin under the slide near the rear sights?

I've just received my RPAL and I've narrowed my search for my first handgun to the M-A1. However, it seems that for some reason the Canadian models being sold are just the older generations sans the LCI.

Expried Business Member
    I believe the latest models into Canada are 2008...

Okay thanks! I sent you guys an email over the weekend about the ones in stock.

I just placed an order for an M9-A1 - Now reading this, I'd like to know if the ones you have in stock have the new or old style extractor?

The older models apparently had major issues extracting empty cartridges.

BANNED
    What does "older", "newer" model mean in this case?

Some photos, links, specs, anyone please?

M9-A1 Older Model Extractor jamming Issues

The M9-A1 as I know has jamming issues on 9mm ammo. It only operates perfect with Geco ammo from Switzerland, all other rounds fail to eject randomly. You could read on this on US Forums as it has been reported by many shooters. A friend of mine bought one in 9mm about two years ago that had the same issue. We tried Winchester, Remington and Federal ammo both factory and reloads, but the gun never operated properly and failed to eject randomly. Only Geco ammo worked perfect in this gun, because it has a deeper cut on the rim so the extractor could engage the brass tight and eject it. We even contacted Steyr in US and received two additional extractors, installed it, but the problem was never solved. My friend was so fed up with it that ended up selling the pistol. The pistol went down on price from $820.00 in 2010 to $550.00 in 2012.
    Last edited by Maxkeg; 08-26-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Additional notes

M9-A1 Older Model Extractor jamming Issues

At first, we tought maybe my friend"s pistol was defective. When we saw that multiple owners in US had reported the same problem then we knew that this was a factory defect issue with this gun.
    Last edited by Maxkeg; 08-26-2012 at 09:57 PM.

BANNED
    Thanks guys for raising this flag!

I did some research and what you say relates well to the evidence out there: It looks like we have in Canada Gen 1 Steyr M9 A1 with ejection issues, although they look like the Gen 2.

Wanstalls please, it is in the interest of everybody (including dealers) to have this issue fixed. Maybe directly to Steyr, maybe through North Sylva.

Although, even if the ejector is replaced with the Gen 2 type, would this solve the problem (see Maxkeg's experience above)?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer legi0n's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxkeg View Post
    The M9-A1 as I know has jamming issues on 9mm ammo. It only operates perfect with Geco ammo from Switzerland, all other rounds fail to eject randomly. You could read on this on US Forums as it has been reported by many shooters. A friend of mine bought one in 9mm about two years ago that had the same issue. We tried Winchester, Remington and Federal ammo both factory and reloads, but the gun never operated properly and failed to eject randomly. Only Geco ammo worked perfect in this gun, because it has a deeper cut on the rim so the extractor could engage the brass tight and eject it. We even contacted Steyr in US and received two additional extractors, installed it, but the problem was never solved. My friend was so fed up with it that ended up selling the pistol. The pistol went down on price from $820.00 in 2010 to $550.00 in 2012.
    That is not my experience.
    My M9A1 never jammed even when fed reloads and/or lead bullets.
    I might just be lucky but I doubt it. The pistol is used by police in quite a few European countries.
    I love my M9A1

edit: only 2000 rounds fired so far

BANNED
    So, a 100% Gen 2 Steyr M9A1 should have no LCI, have a roll pin under the slide and have an improved extractor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast