Thread: Bullet weights for XCR-M

Bullet weights for XCR-M

Wondering if you guys could help me out? I've been shooting 150gr bullets and getting decent accuracy. I noticed in you test you used 168gr, and it seemed to like it. With a 1/10 twist it should stabilize 180gr. shouldn't it? My question is: Can we use a 180gr bullet in the XCR-M? I have had a M-14 for a few years now, and the word has always been that you shouldn't shoot anything heavier than 168gr in them, as heavier bullets can cause damage. Is this the same with the XCR or is it okay to use heavier bullets because of the different gas/recoil system?

I think you should be fine running 180gr. 1 in 10 should sling those no problem...

I'm sure the guys who really know will be along soon to give you a straight answer though.
    "Send it!"

Quote Originally Posted by KePet View Post
    Wondering if you guys could help me out? I've been shooting 150gr bullets and getting decent accuracy. I noticed in you test you used 168gr, and it seemed to like it. With a 1/10 twist it should stabilize 180gr. shouldn't it? My question is: Can we use a 180gr bullet in the XCR-M? I have had a M-14 for a few years now, and the word has always been that you shouldn't shoot anything heavier than 168gr in them, as heavier bullets can cause damage. Is this the same with the XCR or is it okay to use heavier bullets because of the different gas/recoil system?
    I have tested my XCR-M with a number of factory and handloaded rounds. 168 gr. Sierra Matchkings in front of 42 gr. of RL15 worked best (Sub-MOA) in mine.

I am going to try some 168 gr. handloads. I just picked up some 168 gr. hornady bullets, but all I have for powder is BL(C)-2 right now. I'll see if I can get some RL-15 tomorrow at the Provost Gun Show. But, again, this is a round that is used often in the M-14 and is the heaviest recommended, not to cause damage. I've got a couple hundred rounds of 180 gr. Winchester factory ammo (Power Points and Silver Tips). I would like to give them a try, but not if they are going to cause damage to the firearm. If I didn't shoot them in a $500 dollar Norinco because they might cause damage, I'm definately not going to shoot them in an XCR if it's not made for it.

I am going to try some 168 gr. handloads. I just picked up some 168 gr. hornady bullets, but all I have for powder is BL(C)-2 right now. I'll see if I can get some RL-15 tomorrow at the Provost Gun Show. But, again, this is a round that is used often in the M-14 and is the heaviest recommended, not to cause damage. I've got a couple hundred rounds of 180 gr. Winchester factory ammo (Power Points and Silver Tips). I would like to give them a try, but not if they are going to cause damage to the firearm. If I didn't shoot them in a $500 dollar Norinco because they might cause damage, I'm definately not going to shoot them in an XCR if it's not made for it.
    The reason you don't fire 180grn bullets in an M-14 is because the gas port isn't adjustable and it' beats the living #### out of the action.

The XCR-M has an adjustable gas system and it has a much different locking mechanism than the M-14 (Rotating bolt).

I haven't confirmed with RA but I'm willing to bet that 180gr+ bullets are fine to run through the XCR-M.

You should not have any issues with this load. They are well within SAAMI specs. My rifle functions flawlessly on the mid+1 gas setting with this load, exhibiting mild recoil and repeatable accuracy. BTW, this is the same load I shoot with all of my M14 rifles as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If you notice a more violent recoil pattern with the heavier bullets, adjust the gas settings so it still works but doesn't hammer back at you. The joys of an adjustable gas system! It's not that the heavier bullet loads aren't within spec (even with the M14) it's that the gas pulse is different, and since you can't adjust the M14 to allow more bypass, it just hammers back onto the frame and causes cracking.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep